Britton for Cy Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 10/5/2016 11:27:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/5/2016 10:56:00 AM (view original):
Sure. But, if pitchers contribute a "whole lot more run prevention than anybody else", it seems to me that you'd see more pitchers winning, or at least top 3, in MVP voting. Unless, of course, you believe scoring is more important than preventing scoring.

Nonetheless, I'll get to the point. The MVP voting guidelines that some believe are "crystal clear" are anything but. They're vague. I'm not sure if that was intentional but there's a reason they vote rather than refer to one stat, let's say WAR, to determine who wins.
The ballot doesn't lay out how you should determine the players with the best offense and defense, it specifically says that's up to the voter. But it is clear that voters should vote for the player who they think is the strongest on offense and defense.
Does is specifically say whether or not the team was in contention matters?
10/5/2016 11:30 AM
Well, does that mean "offense and defense" are weighted equally? That would mean Ortiz (and all AL DH's) should be OUT of the running because he doesn't contribute on defense at all. That would mean Britton (and all AL pitchers) should be OUT of the running because he doesn't contribute on offense at all.

Even if it's 60-40 or 70-30, one-way players (pitchers and DH's) should be out of the running unless they have a transcendent season. Looks pretty much like Trout should win just about every year in the AL....
10/5/2016 11:31 AM
Sure. But, if pitchers contribute a "whole lot more run prevention than anybody else", it seems to me that you'd see more pitchers winning, or at least top 3, in MVP voting. Unless, of course, you believe scoring is more important than preventing scoring.

Nonetheless, I'll get to the point. The MVP voting guidelines that some believe are "crystal clear" are anything but. They're vague. I'm not sure if that was intentional but there's a reason they vote rather than refer to one stat, let's say WAR, to determine who wins.
The ballot doesn't lay out how you should determine the players with the best offense and defense, it specifically says that's up to the voter. But it is clear that voters should vote for the player who they think is the strongest on offense and defense.
You keep referring to "the ballot". Does it say something different than the cover letter that dahs posted?
10/5/2016 11:37 AM
It's up to the voter to decide. I think you could make the argument that a DH, for example, could be so good offensively that he's better than everyone else, even with their defensive value added to the mix.

Its not the case this year, but it could happen.
10/5/2016 11:38 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/5/2016 11:37:00 AM (view original):

You keep referring to "the ballot". Does it say something different than the cover letter that dahs posted?
I'm referring to the letter that comes with the ballot, the same one dahs posted.
10/5/2016 11:39 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/5/2016 11:39:00 AM (view original):

I'm referring to the letter that comes with the ballot, the same one dahs posted.
If that's all you're going by, then it's nowhere near "clear".

"Value" can mean different things to different people. And "rule" #3 potentially throws a wrench into the mix.
10/5/2016 11:45 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/5/2016 11:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 10/5/2016 11:39:00 AM (view original):

If that's all you're going by, then it's nowhere near "clear".

"Value" can mean different things to different people. And "rule" #3 potentially throws a wrench into the mix.
But they define value: strength of offense and defense.
10/5/2016 11:52 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/4/2016 11:17:00 PM (view original):
Well, yeah. What else would equal value?
And you never answered this.
10/5/2016 11:53 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/5/2016 11:38:00 AM (view original):
It's up to the voter to decide. I think you could make the argument that a DH, for example, could be so good offensively that he's better than everyone else, even with their defensive value added to the mix.

"It's up to the voter to decide"?

So, it stands to reason that the voter can also decide whether or not if the player's team was in contention matters. Unless, of course, they're specifically instructed to NOT do that. Are they?
10/5/2016 11:56 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/5/2016 11:56:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 10/5/2016 11:38:00 AM (view original):

"It's up to the voter to decide"?

So, it stands to reason that the voter can also decide whether or not if the player's team was in contention matters. Unless, of course, they're specifically instructed to NOT do that. Are they?
Like I said before, voters are free to do that. It's just stupid. You're giving an individual award to a guy because he had the more talented teammates.
10/5/2016 12:00 PM
I thought you implied that the instructions were clear. If they're "clear", it seems like they wouldn't allow a voter to do something stupid.
10/5/2016 12:02 PM
The instructions are clear. Value = strength of offense and defense. How would they stop a voter from doing something stupid?
10/5/2016 12:06 PM
JESUS H. CHRIST

ANOTHER MONGO MELEE!
10/5/2016 12:34 PM
Mongo just pawn in game of life
10/5/2016 12:40 PM
and how do you define "strength of offense and defense"? Is a guy who hits .240 with 30 HRs and 100 RBIs more valuable that a guy with a .375 OBP, 50 steals and 100 runs scored? If so, why? Is a SS with great range more valuable than an OF with a great arm? If you say the voter gets to decide, than it is not clear. It is vague. If it was clear there would be nothing to decide.
10/5/2016 12:47 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10|11 Next ▸
Britton for Cy Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.