Harold Baines
Will Clark
Albert Belle
Orel Hershiser
Davey Johnson
Lou Piniella
John Schuerholz
10/4/2016 7:55 AM
Steinbrenner should be a no-brainer selection. He should have been put in a while ago.

Schuerholz might also get in for his work with Atlanta. A very long period of sustained success. That will probably be enough.

McGwire will be an interesting test case. He'll be the first steroid guy to be considered by a committee rather than the BBWAA. I think he gets in eventually, but I still think it's too early to do it now, seeing that he just dropped off the BBWAA ballot last year.

None of the other former players or managers belong.

Clueless Bud is an enigma. He had a long tenure as MLB Commissioner, oversaw a lot of change, and finally brought peace between MLB and the MLBPA. But that is offset by the cancellation of the '94 World Series and turning a blind eye to the steroid era until he had no choice. I think he gets in because most Commissioners who have served for a long time have, but he has a mixed legacy.
10/4/2016 8:10 AM (edited)
Selig is in. Steinbrenner is in. No one else is.
10/4/2016 8:21 AM
I don't see Mort Cooper on that list.
10/4/2016 8:27 AM
STEINBRENNER( LARRY DAVID SHOULD GIVE HIS INDUCTION SPEECH)

DAVEY JOHNSON

PINELLA

PETER H. ROSE

THAT'S IT.
10/4/2016 8:27 AM
Looks like this gets voted on this coming Sunday, December 4. Not sure if results will be announced at that time, or on Monday, or whenever.

Last call for predictions.
12/2/2016 1:02 PM
I'd vote McGwire and Belle.

I'm not a fan of putting executives/owners/commissioners in unless they do something extraordinary--beyond just winning, increasing profit etc. Breaking the color barrier is an example.
12/2/2016 1:13 PM
The HOF is intended to honor all people who have made a significant contribution to the game, whether on the field or off.

It's funny that you have such low benchmarks for players, but such lofty standards for non-players. Funny in a stupidly hypocritical way.
12/2/2016 1:20 PM
Well, I don't think Selig or Steinbrenner made significant contributions to the game. What decision did Selig make that was so great that it outweighs all the ****** things he did?
12/2/2016 1:23 PM
After the 1994 fiasco, he was able to preside over a lasting peace between MLB and the MLBPA, which they've never had before.
12/2/2016 1:28 PM
So your argument is, "Selig stopped ******* everything up...HOF!!!!"
12/2/2016 1:48 PM
He accomplished something that no other commissioner had done before . . . peace between MLB and the player's union. That's a noteworthy accomplishment.
12/2/2016 2:06 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/2/2016 2:06:00 PM (view original):
He accomplished something that no other commissioner had done before . . . peace between MLB and the player's union. That's a noteworthy accomplishment.
I see it differently. Selig had a direct role in the 94 stoppage, was directly involved in the owners collusion in the 80s, and allowed the steroid era to happen. The fact that he didn't also pile another work stoppage on top of that isn't enough to overcome it.
12/2/2016 2:20 PM
I don't think I'd put "allowed the steroid era to happen" on Selig's plate. A lot of people were turning a blind eye to PED in the name of interest/profit.
12/2/2016 2:27 PM
He was the commissioner. His blind eye was basically the only one that actually mattered.
12/2/2016 2:50 PM
1234 Next ▸
"Today's Game Era" HOF Ballot Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.