Recruiting-Something unexpected??? Topic

D2 Squad recruiting a D1 recruit. Put 100 percent effort in 8am yesterday, and at 5pm I get an email from the recruit saying that "He could really get in to attending my school if I offered him a scholarship". I already had, so okay no problem.

This morning at 5am, he sends me another email "I sure would love for you to invite me to your campus". Great, I had just unlocked that. I also have a second email, "I would love you to meet my parents", and that two was unlocked this cycle.....done, and done! But I have a third email " and it says basically "he can see himself starting" at my school. Not cool with that next year, so I gave him minutes.

Now I have given the whole story, but I am asking you the members of the HD Coaching Association. I have never seen anything from WIS that recruits would send us emails (I got four from this guy), and he is D! potential (pretty bad currently, but green and blue) and I am a very bad C- D2 School. Did I miss a memo, or is this guy actually a D2 player?
10/5/2016 11:33 AM
The emails were added as an afterthought. They mean nothing other than identifying that you have unlocked the ability to take an additional recruiting action. So, those meant...you can now offer a schollie...a campus visit...a home visit...a start...not that you must or even should.

The need for these emails demonstrates a significant problem with the concept of AP unlocking actions over time. It is cumbersome and requires checking back in too frequently. Not sure whether these emails may be turned off. Hopefully that user setting may be added in the future.
10/5/2016 11:45 AM
Sounds to me like he's probably about the caliber player D2 in your position would be targeting. There are no drop downs, so you just have to wait until the 2nd session. Some low D1 sims might tag along, but from what I've seen in beta, your effort should keep them at bay most of the time.
10/5/2016 11:50 AM
That is normal in 3.0 .. and it means that you unlocked those events (Offer, Campus Visit, Home Visit). He is letting you know you unlocked the event .. nothing more than that.

Now, if no one from Div-1 jumps on him, you can certainly sign him in the 2nd recruiting period. And if you are Moderate now and will jump to Very High in the second period if no one else puts in effort .. and he will sign. If people put in effort, then battle rules will apply (obviously).

Note: If you target a top 5 player, if no one else does, you CAN sign him. There is no limit on who you can sign .. its up to other coaches (and SIMs) to get the players that they are qualified to get and knock you off if they want the guy. If they don't then you get him.
10/5/2016 11:51 AM
Posted by rogelio on 10/5/2016 11:45:00 AM (view original):
The emails were added as an afterthought. They mean nothing other than identifying that you have unlocked the ability to take an additional recruiting action. So, those meant...you can now offer a schollie...a campus visit...a home visit...a start...not that you must or even should.

The need for these emails demonstrates a significant problem with the concept of AP unlocking actions over time. It is cumbersome and requires checking back in too frequently. Not sure whether these emails may be turned off. Hopefully that user setting may be added in the future.
Checking in at 5/11/5/11 is too cumbersome compared to every three hours like before?
10/5/2016 11:51 AM
Posted by wvufan76 on 10/5/2016 11:33:00 AM (view original):
D2 Squad recruiting a D1 recruit. Put 100 percent effort in 8am yesterday, and at 5pm I get an email from the recruit saying that "He could really get in to attending my school if I offered him a scholarship". I already had, so okay no problem.

This morning at 5am, he sends me another email "I sure would love for you to invite me to your campus". Great, I had just unlocked that. I also have a second email, "I would love you to meet my parents", and that two was unlocked this cycle.....done, and done! But I have a third email " and it says basically "he can see himself starting" at my school. Not cool with that next year, so I gave him minutes.

Now I have given the whole story, but I am asking you the members of the HD Coaching Association. I have never seen anything from WIS that recruits would send us emails (I got four from this guy), and he is D! potential (pretty bad currently, but green and blue) and I am a very bad C- D2 School. Did I miss a memo, or is this guy actually a D2 player?
I'm in the same boat, D2 recruiting a D1 with multiple D1 schools interested.

I got the email this morning that he's open to me offering.a CV, and I offered it. We'll see if it is accepted.

If he accepts, that seems like a major problem. Players only get five CVs, and it would be absurd for a D1 kid to waste one on a D2 early in recruiting. We'll see.
10/5/2016 11:52 AM
Posted by kcsundevil on 10/5/2016 11:52:00 AM (view original):

I got the email this morning that he's open to me offering.a CV, and I offered it. We'll see if it is accepted.

If he accepts, that seems like a major problem. Players only get five CVs, and it would be absurd for a D1 kid to waste one on a D2 early in recruiting. We'll see.
+1
10/5/2016 12:02 PM

I like it! I am one of those that hated the need to check back to only see 10%, 20%, 25%...got boring!
10/5/2016 12:03 PM
Posted by ardthomp on 10/5/2016 11:51:00 AM (view original):

Checking in at 5/11/5/11 is too cumbersome compared to every three hours like before?
That isn't the issue. Besides, you only needed to check in every 3 hours if you were trying to pull someone down. Once you did, then you could apply effort as you wished.

In the new system, you need to apply AP...then wait...check back in to see what you've unlocked...apply that, if possible....then wait...check back...apply what else has unlocked....see whether there are any significant battles...try to recall what his signing preference is to time whether you need to sink in more effort. If you realize you are in trouble, then you need to move the AP to a backup target (assuming you had already identified one...otherwise you've got to re-scout), then wait...take actions that are unlocked....etc. If you end up in many battles, then it may be impossible to move AP to unlock quality backups.

Frankly, the old system was not perfect and was subject to abuse. Veterans could lock down on a couple choice recruits for next to nothing, then wait until the signing cycle, checking back leisurely to verify no battles and select a poaching target, then poach a recruit to complete their class at the signing cycle and roll over excess budget. I'm fairly sure that some coaches would build up a significant rollover budget tactically over a few seasons, then operate to assure they could maintain that dominant budget. WIS could have fixed that by 2 lines of code capping the rollover (and having the AD send an email stating that the department was going to use those excess funds on Title IX programs) and it would have changed strategy, but they chose this.
10/5/2016 12:07 PM
Posted by wvufan76 on 10/5/2016 12:03:00 PM (view original):

I like it! I am one of those that hated the need to check back to only see 10%, 20%, 25%...got boring!
My point is that this will get boring too. Once the learning curve for each user is passed, then they should be free to turn those off. Certainly, for each new user and for everyone for the first few seasons, the emails are a good idea, but they don't signify anything more than that you could send and HV or CV or promise.
10/5/2016 12:09 PM

I like the emails too. Makes the process feel less like we're recruiting robots. (Of course I realize we are in fact recruiting robots.)
10/5/2016 12:10 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 10/5/2016 12:10:00 PM (view original):

I like the emails too. Makes the process feel less like we're recruiting robots. (Of course I realize we are in fact recruiting robots.)
I like the emails, too. It saves a lot of time checking on your progress toward unlocking recruiting actions.

And I have to admit I have come around to liking the bar graph that tells you your progress toward unlocking the recruiting actions. I was originally not in favor of that addition.
10/5/2016 12:35 PM
Several us in Beta asked for the emails to remind us that we unlocked actions and to make the process more involved. I'd prefer them to be a little funnier but oh well...

Also, if you don't feel like checking in every 6 hours, it's very easy to predict when things will be unlocked. After you spend 10 APs and 10% of the scholarship offer is unlocked you know it's going to take 100 APs to unlock. So if you don't want to check back to see if it's unlocked you can just do math and figure out if it's going to happen this cycle or next or the one after that.

I do agree that they should be optional and can be turned off if desired.

And yes to the point about CV accepted by D2. Yes the D2 kid will accept it and will count towards their 5 total. Btw, it takes a lot longer to unlock actions for D1 players at lower levels so you'd have to have good preferences and pump a lot of APs in to him to get in before D1s... unless of course we're talking about EEs again.
10/5/2016 1:07 PM
Posted by wvufan76 on 10/5/2016 12:02:00 PM (view original):

+1
He accepted the visit.

A human D1 started VH on him, then went down to VL, and is now moderate. If my actions as a D2 are causing him to bounce around like that, something seems wrong to me.
10/5/2016 5:08 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 10/5/2016 5:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wvufan76 on 10/5/2016 12:02:00 PM (view original):

+1
He accepted the visit.

A human D1 started VH on him, then went down to VL, and is now moderate. If my actions as a D2 are causing him to bounce around like that, something seems wrong to me.
Not at all. You did a campus visit. If he does one, his will count more.

Everyone had an option to offer a visit. Everyone has the option to do up to 20 home visits.

If a D1 guy only does attention points and you do 20 HVs and a campus visit, then you win. (Well, you have the highest probability to win :D)
10/5/2016 6:12 PM
12 Next ▸
Recruiting-Something unexpected??? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.