Job logic changes Topic

I don't think any of the Big 6 conferences should EVER be given to a Sim coach. Many times in this game I have seen successful coaches not be able to make the jump to a Big 6 team because their Low D! team's baseline is capped at a low prestige grade (at least, lower than the Big 6 conferences)..and the Big-6 team is completely ruined before someone can "qualify" to coach it.. If no one applies for a Big-6 vacated team, the team should send out letters of interest to the coaches THAT MATCH THE CLOSEST that the school would accept. Again, NO Big-6 team should ever have to go Sim unless invitations are sent. Conferences I am talking about are: (ACC, Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12, SEC.....even though the Big East no longer exists, I would probably add that conference into the "no sim coach" also).
10/11/2016 7:59 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 10/11/2016 7:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by noleaniml on 10/11/2016 12:40:00 PM (view original):
SIMAI is, by definition, any Joe Schmoe. So yes, that's exactly what they end up with. Nearly any human coach is a better option.

Edit: Congrats on the first round NT win in Phelan.
I agree. Almost any human coach qualified for any Div-1 is better than a SIMAI.

I would say open the SIM coached teams to anyone qualified for Div-1 .. and pick the best coach based on prestige, etc.
I'm not that big on making it freebies or near-freebies. How about opening a job up to 2 or 3 of the most qualified coaches and sending them an email invitation from the school inviting them to apply.
10/11/2016 8:22 PM
I assume you mean 2 or 3 of the most qualified coaches who are currently at lesser school? defined by baseline prestige? otherwise?
10/11/2016 9:10 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 10/11/2016 8:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hughesjr on 10/11/2016 7:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by noleaniml on 10/11/2016 12:40:00 PM (view original):
SIMAI is, by definition, any Joe Schmoe. So yes, that's exactly what they end up with. Nearly any human coach is a better option.

Edit: Congrats on the first round NT win in Phelan.
I agree. Almost any human coach qualified for any Div-1 is better than a SIMAI.

I would say open the SIM coached teams to anyone qualified for Div-1 .. and pick the best coach based on prestige, etc.
I'm not that big on making it freebies or near-freebies. How about opening a job up to 2 or 3 of the most qualified coaches and sending them an email invitation from the school inviting them to apply.
Well .. if it is open to everyone and those 2 or 3 coaches apply, they would be the ones considered for the job.

If they don't apply, then those who do get the job.

You can make it such that if no one applies that they would normally take, the job stays open until the last day .. giving people a chance to apply. If someone qualified by the old standards) applies early, the normal process can happen. If no one highly qualified applies, then you take the best person who applied.

Any human is better than a SIM
10/11/2016 10:24 PM
"Any human is better than a SIM" I generally agree with you, but that is a formula for chaos. It is a formula for full conferences at the top and no possibility of advancement for worthy coaches. It is a formula to replicate the problem that WIS is trying to solve.
10/12/2016 12:40 AM
It's not a formula for chaos. It's a formula for making the game more interesting. I'm not advocating for a completely wide-open process. But the requirements need to be decreased significantly over the course of the application process the longer a job sits open. It's an accurate simulation. The school will hire the best candidate for the job and that candidate is generally NOT Simmy Simpkins.
10/12/2016 9:23 AM
Thanks to everyone who has been participating in expressing their thoughts. We have been documenting the suggestions in here and there will be a more detailed post coming in the near future that will outline that changes that will be happening.

Please continue to post if you have any other notes you would like to add.
10/13/2016 1:00 PM
Posted by cwisniewski on 10/13/2016 1:00:00 PM (view original):
Thanks to everyone who has been participating in expressing their thoughts. We have been documenting the suggestions in here and there will be a more detailed post coming in the near future that will outline that changes that will be happening.

Time out from job changes: Since you seem to be reading this thread, can you tell us what to expect for the beta in the foreseeable future? Thanks.

Time in for job changes.
10/13/2016 1:17 PM
Thank you for the info. Much appreciated. Will there be a bit of notice so we can save our info?
10/13/2016 3:53 PM
I am really impressed with the new developers - nice job. I think firings should be ramped up for Big 6 jobs - especially the high baseline prestige jobs, like Kentucky, UNC, U.Conn, etc.. I don't think it is so much of an issue with other jobs.

I also think that if a job remains open for a while during the jobs change process, the standards should be relaxed a bit.

I don't think I have ever gotten a longshot job. I think for a longshot, if no one fills it by the time the jobs change period is over, that person should get the job.

Thanks for being active in the forums - such a refreshing change!
10/13/2016 6:06 PM (edited)
If the school is SIM AI (this is DI only) then humans currently in DI should be eligible. This, plus an stronger firing logic, would be a good place to start. BCS schools that are SIM will not waste away while lower DI coaches wait for a prestige drop.
10/14/2016 4:22 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 10/13/2016 6:06:00 PM (view original):
I am really impressed with the new developers - nice job. I think firings should be ramped up for Big 6 jobs - especially the high baseline prestige jobs, like Kentucky, UNC, U.Conn, etc.. I don't think it is so much of an issue with other jobs.

I also think that if a job remains open for a while during the jobs change process, the standards should be relaxed a bit.

I don't think I have ever gotten a longshot job. I think for a longshot, if no one fills it by the time the jobs change period is over, that person should get the job.

Thanks for being active in the forums - such a refreshing change!
I agree with this concept (I also think that if a job remains open for a while during the jobs change process, the standards should be relaxed a bit). Also the (if no one fills it by the time the jobs change period is over, that person should get the job) concept.

If you greatly lower the application requirements from the beginning of the process, but place a line at a level where a coach is immediately eligible .. people above that line (in qualifications) get considered as soon as they apply, and after a couple turns the best qualified coach wins the job. If no one able that 'immediately eligible' line has applied by the last 24 hours of Job Applications, then you pick the most qaulified coach from the people who applied that were below the immediately eligible line, but who were Eligible to apply for the Longshot (or whatever you want to call the 2nd tier).

This way, people KNOW:

1. If the are immediately Eligible or not .. Longshot means that They are going to be considered later in the process and will not beat out a better qualified coach.

If we then make the longshot even broader than it is now (meaning more people qualify) then:

1. More qualified coaches still get the job id they apply.
2. Coaches can apply at the beginning of the job period for longshots if they wish.
3. If a team gets applied for, they don't have to become devastated by a SIMAI before a human coach can take them.

I mean, even if I human coach gets higher than they ought to in Div-1, they still are usually much better than a SIM .. and we can let the firing mechanism clear them out if they are unable to do it. The team is still likely not any worse off than it would have been under a SIM.

We should still require enough wins at Div-II to qualify for a Mid-Major team .. all those guys should also be qaulified as a longshot to better programs. But the best Longshot should win in the last day if no one immediately eligible applies.
10/14/2016 7:58 PM (edited)
"I mean, even if I human coach gets higher than they ought to in Div-1, they still are usually much better than a SIM .. and we can let the firing mechanism clear them out if they are unable to do it. The team is still likely not any worse off than it would have been under a SIM."

We need to be careful when we care for the experience of the sim school more than we care for the experience of either hired or non-hired coaches and the game experience of all participants overall. It seems to me that the experience of the human coaches -- all of us -- comes before maintaining the quality of any sim team.
10/14/2016 8:59 PM
Posted by cwisniewski on 10/13/2016 1:00:00 PM (view original):

Bump.

Any update coming?
4/19/2017 8:11 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Job logic changes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.