True MVP League 90 million Topic

My Guy Was Robbed … The True MVP League

The Baseball Writers Association of America is really something. Every year they get together to pick two MVPs. Far too often they get them wrong, sometimes pathetically wrong. 1960 Dick Groat over Willie Mays? 1958 Jackie Jensen over Mickey Mantle? 1992 Dennis Eckersley over … half the guys in the AL? There have been some real stinkers over the years, you’ll probably be surprised how many. This league is about finding the true MVPs who have been robbed by the BWAA. Here’s how it works:
  1. $90 Million Team Salary cap.
  2. Pick an exclusive year and league (1924 to present) and select one player who had a better WAR (as determined by Baseball Reference.com) than the actual MVP selected by the BWAA. He will be your True MVP
  3. Add your True MVP to the roster of any team from that league/year that did not make the playoffs. That team roster will make up the bulk of your team.
  4. Add another 4 players from other teams from that league/year (maximum salary of $6,000,000 per player) to round out your roster.
  5. Pick the stadium your team or True MVP played in that year.
  6. No trades, twists, waiver wire, DH, AAA, or clones.
  7. Claim your exclusive True MVP here in the forum.
  8. Have fun.
Example team:. True MVP for 1988 Wade Boggs added to players from 1988 Minnesota Twins. Round out team with 1988 Ripken jr, J. Franco, D. Steib, and Jack Morris (all sub 6 mil). Play at Fenway or Metrodome.

Selected True MVPs

10/7/2016 2:31 PM (edited)
like the idea, lot of research involved. Question. Let's say I pick year/league true WAR leader as my MVP and put him with a non-playoff team. The "real" MVP remains out there and costs less than $6m (and plays for yet a different team, i.e. not the WAR leader's team or the non playoff team chose). Is the real MVP eligible to be placed? Seems so, but I want to be sure.
10/7/2016 8:05 PM
You are correct, that is permitted. Should pretty rare, but yes that would work.
10/8/2016 5:46 AM
Moved to classifieds, mistakenly posted in wrong sub forum.
10/8/2016 8:11 AM
I like this idea. I'll try 1961 True AL MVP Mickey Mantle and the Detroit Tigers.
10/15/2016 11:11 AM (edited)
Welcome dcmatcheck. It's interesting to see how many players got jobbed out of the MVP over the years. 61 is a no-brainer, Mantle was way the better player that year and even worse, Maris got better pitches to hit because he bat ahead of Mantle. I'm moving your sign up to the classifieds.
10/15/2016 11:37 AM
True MVP League 90 million Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.