Anyone have any advice on running the Wishbone? Trying it out with my Div 2 Grand Valley State team..any help would be wonderful!!
10/7/2016 8:11 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I think it has potential to grow Rb's. I would try to put Senior in RB 1, jr rb 2, and soph at rb 3. And keep them cycling as a Sr graduates. That way you will always have rb grown to Max at rb 1 . Should be great to run or pass to.
10/8/2016 1:36 PM
My two cents: I run it 100% of the time across all of my teams. Here is what I have found:
  1. You must have 8 running backs on the roster. Basically 2 groups of three and 2 blowout guys to get their attributes up.
  2. Running lineman only. Throw a pass blocking OL in there and you are screwed.
  3. A blocking WR is critical for outside plays
  4. Most of the time, the wishbone will have the lowest initial recruit Formation IQ. Plan accordingly.
  5. You must have 8 or 10 good OL...all running.
  6. OTs help block the edges, C/G are good for up the middle.
  7. Have multiple real fullbacks.
  8. For recruiting (Except 1A which I am still figuring out):
    1. It is easier to get a good running QB, blocking TE, blocking WR. You can spend less money on them.
    2. Running OL area little easier to get than Passing OL., FB are a little easier than Pass catching RB's
    3. Where you will have to go all-in is the Speed RB....and it will be a vicious knife fight.
  9. Expect to have one game in which your running game sucks for "no reason at all".
  10. Expect one game where you will blow someone out of the water.
  11. Expect people to laugh at you for running this arcane offense.
  12. Expect that your play-by-play will have a LOT of 3 and outs. You will have as many 10 play drives as one play 75 yard drives.
  13. Make sure you set your in/out rushing percentages to match your team strengths. Make sure you have your FB set to your style of play
  14. Growth of players (obviously) is terribly important.
  15. OVER SPEND on Formation practice for the wishbone. Otherwise your players will not reach the levels you need (See recruits from above)
  16. Expect no more that 12-16 carriers per player. Have a single stud RB? Wrong offense for you.
  17. RUN THE DAMN CLOCK. The reason you are running this is that you may NOT have the horses to compete with better teams. You must own the time of possession....by a lot.
  18. Do not chicken out. Run, run, run...run some more and then run some more. The days of the all-pass wishbone are gone.
  19. VERY IMPORTANT: It is HIGHLY unlikely you will win a national championship in this version of GD running the wishbone.
  20. Read the Play by Play very, very carefully. Stuffed on an outside blitz? Jam it down their throats in the middle. Etc,
  21. Most important: Have fun. It is a great offense.
Tim
10/10/2016 11:44 AM
^^^^^

Sounds good in theory
10/10/2016 4:40 PM
I love it...thanks Tim
10/10/2016 5:23 PM
One factor that hurts.....you cannot set "time management" for the first and third quarters. I agree with dalailama....running the clock is a MUST. And you cannot "run the clock" in first/third quarters. I put in a ticket a long time ago to get this changed (as it would be a good thing for everyone to be able to manage the clock the whole game).

I used to run the bone 100% in Heisman, under version 2.0. I dropped it after 2 seasons of 3.0 as it completely lost its "punch". However, after my hiatus I'm giving it another go and I'm testing a few things. I'm committed to spending at least 10 seasons getting my team where I want them to see if I can get this to "click" again.

The most fun with the bone is when you have a game vs a human....and he knows you are gonna run....and he just can't stop it.
10/10/2016 5:51 PM
"The most fun with the bone is when you have a game vs a human....and he knows you are gonna run....and he just can't stop it. "

Fun in to see when that happens in real life as well. Been a while.
10/10/2016 6:00 PM
another quick question...by run blocking lineman you need more str than blocking correct?
10/10/2016 6:07 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 10/10/2016 5:51:00 PM (view original):
One factor that hurts.....you cannot set "time management" for the first and third quarters. I agree with dalailama....running the clock is a MUST. And you cannot "run the clock" in first/third quarters. I put in a ticket a long time ago to get this changed (as it would be a good thing for everyone to be able to manage the clock the whole game).

I used to run the bone 100% in Heisman, under version 2.0. I dropped it after 2 seasons of 3.0 as it completely lost its "punch". However, after my hiatus I'm giving it another go and I'm testing a few things. I'm committed to spending at least 10 seasons getting my team where I want them to see if I can get this to "click" again.

The most fun with the bone is when you have a game vs a human....and he knows you are gonna run....and he just can't stop it.
You can influence it by setting your Winning and Losing to Run clock
10/10/2016 8:14 PM
Kas -- Yes. I have Winning by 1 or more and losing by 1 more as run clock. They only time this doesn;lt work is obviously the 0-0 start of the game.

Irish -- http://www.gdreports.com/GUESS/Weights.htm to start your journey. Please note that this is an estimate. When you change these in your position roles, you may wish to tweak this to meet your needs. In general, it will not matter, on the fringes however, you might find an undervalued player who better fits the scheme.

Example:
Default Guess
Position Role ATH SPD DUR WE STA STR BLK TKL HND GI ELU TECH
OL 13 0 0 0 0 34 33 0 0 12 0 8
OL-Run 13 0 0 0 0 43 24 0 0 12 0 8
OL-Pass 13 0 0 0 0 24 43 0 0 12 0 8
Possible Change
Position Role ATH SPD DUR WE STA STR BLK TKL HND GI ELU TECH
OL 13 0 0 0 0 34 33 0 0 12 0 8
OL-Run 10 0 0 0 0 43 28 0 0 10 0 9
OL-Pass 13 0 0 0 0 24 43 0 0 12 0 8

Now maybe you have ONLY your Guards and Centers for this and leave the Tackles alone? Do you set your TE specs to these to better match your needs? How about WR (Since you will never pass)?

Hope this helps.

Tim
10/11/2016 8:52 AM
Posted by kas1007 on 10/10/2016 8:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by harriswb3 on 10/10/2016 5:51:00 PM (view original):

You can influence it by setting your Winning and Losing to Run clock
Am I missing something? It won't accept anything higher than 15 minutes - I can type '30' in there, but it defaults to 15.
10/11/2016 11:00 AM
Posted by dalailama12 on 10/10/2016 11:44:00 AM (view original):
My two cents: I run it 100% of the time across all of my teams. Here is what I have found:
  1. You must have 8 running backs on the roster. Basically 2 groups of three and 2 blowout guys to get their attributes up.
  2. Running lineman only. Throw a pass blocking OL in there and you are screwed.
  3. A blocking WR is critical for outside plays
  4. Most of the time, the wishbone will have the lowest initial recruit Formation IQ. Plan accordingly.
  5. You must have 8 or 10 good OL...all running.
  6. OTs help block the edges, C/G are good for up the middle.
  7. Have multiple real fullbacks.
  8. For recruiting (Except 1A which I am still figuring out):
    1. It is easier to get a good running QB, blocking TE, blocking WR. You can spend less money on them.
    2. Running OL area little easier to get than Passing OL., FB are a little easier than Pass catching RB's
    3. Where you will have to go all-in is the Speed RB....and it will be a vicious knife fight.
  9. Expect to have one game in which your running game sucks for "no reason at all".
  10. Expect one game where you will blow someone out of the water.
  11. Expect people to laugh at you for running this arcane offense.
  12. Expect that your play-by-play will have a LOT of 3 and outs. You will have as many 10 play drives as one play 75 yard drives.
  13. Make sure you set your in/out rushing percentages to match your team strengths. Make sure you have your FB set to your style of play
  14. Growth of players (obviously) is terribly important.
  15. OVER SPEND on Formation practice for the wishbone. Otherwise your players will not reach the levels you need (See recruits from above)
  16. Expect no more that 12-16 carriers per player. Have a single stud RB? Wrong offense for you.
  17. RUN THE DAMN CLOCK. The reason you are running this is that you may NOT have the horses to compete with better teams. You must own the time of possession....by a lot.
  18. Do not chicken out. Run, run, run...run some more and then run some more. The days of the all-pass wishbone are gone.
  19. VERY IMPORTANT: It is HIGHLY unlikely you will win a national championship in this version of GD running the wishbone.
  20. Read the Play by Play very, very carefully. Stuffed on an outside blitz? Jam it down their throats in the middle. Etc,
  21. Most important: Have fun. It is a great offense.
Tim
Tim, I really don't want to be rude so I won't. I think it is important for everyone who read your post to understand that at the time of this writing, all three of your teams are 6-7 each. Or a combined 18-21.

You sound like a brilliant high school coach that could gameplan your opponent to the "t". But this is GD and your system has been proven to fail.
10/11/2016 11:50 AM
To be fair, he is in his fifth season at Army and third season at the other two schools. IMHO, you need at least five seasons at a school to have a roster full of guys who fit your parameters, especially in an experimental situation.
10/11/2016 11:56 AM
123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.