Vs RHP my platoon RF bat has a 38-32-44-36 glove. My 1B has a 55-60-50-54.

Would you play the better glove guy at 1B to get the plus plays or reduce the OF minus plays (some) and stick him in RF?
10/10/2016 12:17 AM
As best as I can tell-- and I don't think I know very much about the role of arm vs. range/glove in RF in this game, which matters here-- it's about the same, but I'd slightly prefer to play the better glove in RF.

10/10/2016 10:43 AM
FWIW, and I don't think there's much difference in this case, arm strength create +/- plays in RF. Both are inadequate in that regard. 44/36 is going to be terrible in RF while 50/54 will only be really bad. I'd never use 44/36. But, since you are considering it...............I think, and this is digging pretty deep, I'd see where my staff fell on the GB/FB scale.
10/10/2016 10:49 AM
Personally I would prefer the better glove at 1st, generally more PO opportunities, and I can usually live with a crappy fielder in RF having subscribed to the C in RF mode of thinking to get the bigger bat there.
10/10/2016 2:39 PM
Checked one of my worlds. The worst regular 1B - with similar ratings to the OP's player - has a RF over 9.5.

The best RF has an RF of 1.8.

1Bs handle 5 times the chances RF do. I'd put the rock - if I had to - in RF.

FWIW, in that league I have a guy in RF who should be at 1B. In my other league I have a C in RF. They play about the same level of defense, ain't great, but they're there to hit.
10/10/2016 4:14 PM
It gets buried in the boxscore, but when you play a C in RF you give up way more triples (and base hits in general). Those extra total bases contribute negatively to your staff's collective ERA because of the impact on OBP and SLG. It's hidden from the C/RF's player card because it does not count explicitly as an error or a minus, but it shows up implicitly within team statistics
10/11/2016 2:07 PM
I'd have to see some evidence of that because it SHOULD show up as a negative play.
10/11/2016 2:17 PM
Can't see anywhere to find team stats for Triples surrendered. In any case, my C in RF team was top-three in the world in Hits Against and top-four Slugging Against during the four seasons he was out there. The team is also top three in Fielding, despite his 21 errors and 49 minus plays. I considered the negative effect to be acceptable.

10/11/2016 3:42 PM
I'm pretty sure pjf13 is using anecdotal evidence. He played with, or against, a C in RF and notice a few 3B in box scores. I've used C in RF quite a bit and never noticed anything out of the ordinary other than the extra errors/negative plays. And they were expected.
10/11/2016 3:57 PM
Posted by pjfoster13 on 10/11/2016 2:07:00 PM (view original):
It gets buried in the boxscore, but when you play a C in RF you give up way more triples (and base hits in general). Those extra total bases contribute negatively to your staff's collective ERA because of the impact on OBP and SLG. It's hidden from the C/RF's player card because it does not count explicitly as an error or a minus, but it shows up implicitly within team statistics
OK, I thought this was bullshit so I figured I'd do some work. I'm using one C in RF right now.

He has 37 starts(53 games in). We have given up 3 triples in those starts. The guys that hit the triples are 3 in 195 AB, 3/205 and 2/165. The average teams gives up 7 triples. My guy is pretty sorry in the field, 265 innings, 3 errors, 7 negative plays but, even if you pro-rate it, we are allowing less triples than the average team even with my sorryass C in RF.

This is why you have to make sure the "advice" you're getting is from someone who knows what the hell they're talking about.

My guy: Player Profile: Alex Valdes - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
10/12/2016 4:50 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.