Does HD need to mirror real life? Topic

I keep seeing everyone talking about how things that happen here would never happen in real life. So I pose the question to you, HD community, does it really need to follow real life?

I honestly am conflicted on this, I mean on the one hand you need the power conferences and schools to have an "edge" since it makes this game more fun to either coach them or coach against them...but on the other hand it would be cool to think any school, especially your alma mater that is a smaller D1 school, could become a powerhouse.

I mean after all, this is a fantasy based game, so does it need to mirror real life? I honestly do not know, but would love to read thoughts on it.
10/12/2016 1:00 PM
Basically, my default response to any question about a game function is that it should mirror real life unless it has an adverse effect on playability. The problem lies in that all of those parameters are completely arbitrary and nearly undefinable.
10/12/2016 1:08 PM
Posted by noleaniml on 10/12/2016 1:08:00 PM (view original):
Basically, my default response to any question about a game function is that it should mirror real life unless it has an adverse effect on playability. The problem lies in that all of those parameters are completely arbitrary and nearly undefinable.
Understood, but if the smaller schools have no hope, how is this fun for them? I would think WIS could keep more users if the possibility is there to build your school into a powerhouse without a forced arbitrary ceiling that they currently have.
10/12/2016 1:23 PM
The premise by the original designers was in DI you succeeded then built your resume up to the point where you could get into a Big 6 conference. That's why DI was the only conference with baseline prestige. Getting into a big 6 school was "prestigious".

The idea wasn't to give you the ability to win the NC at Alcorn St.
10/12/2016 1:28 PM
No, HD does not have to exactly mirror real life.

But it should be playable and fun. And it should be similar to real life.

WRT building"your school into a powerhouse without a forced arbitrary ceiling", that is what Div-2 and Div-3 are for .. although this update does seem to level the playing field a bit at Div-1.
10/12/2016 1:28 PM
Posted by mullycj on 10/12/2016 1:28:00 PM (view original):
The premise by the original designers was in DI you succeeded then built your resume up to the point where you could get into a Big 6 conference. That's why DI was the only conference with baseline prestige. Getting into a big 6 school was "prestigious".

Right, but is this a good premise? I know in real life Alcorn St isnt doing much, but would it be a bad thing if they could here? I mean, if a legit human coach took them and built them up...and wanted to stay to take his Alma Mater to the next level...why should there be a cap on what he can reach?
10/12/2016 1:33 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 10/12/2016 1:28:00 PM (view original):

WRT building"your school into a powerhouse without a forced arbitrary ceiling", that is what Div-2 and Div-3 are for .. although this update does seem to level the playing field a bit at Div-1.
I agree you can do this at D2 and D3, which is why alot of coaches stay there and its fun (for instance my Millersville team, completely fun to have built them up). But maybe D1 would fill up if the ceiling was kind of eased up? Maybe some of the ghost town conferences would have some coaches in them.
10/12/2016 1:36 PM
Posted by crabman26 on 10/12/2016 1:33:00 PM (view original):

Right, but is this a good premise? I know in real life Alcorn St isnt doing much, but would it be a bad thing if they could here? I mean, if a legit human coach took them and built them up...and wanted to stay to take his Alma Mater to the next level...why should there be a cap on what he can reach?
There is no reason that Alcorn St could not perform like Wichita State or VCU does in real life. You can start by winning your league and getting better prestige. Then competing for several good players and key reserves.

We now have unprecedented ability to see potential in the guys we scout to level 4 .. and some recruits might fall through the cracks.

I doubt Alcorn State could be as good as Duke and UK .. but there is no reason they couldn't be a sweet sixteen team most seasons with enough effort in recruiting.
10/12/2016 1:42 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 10/12/2016 1:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by crabman26 on 10/12/2016 1:33:00 PM (view original):

There is no reason that Alcorn St could not perform like Wichita State or VCU does in real life. You can start by winning your league and getting better prestige. Then competing for several good players and key reserves.

We now have unprecedented ability to see potential in the guys we scout to level 4 .. and some recruits might fall through the cracks.

I doubt Alcorn State could be as good as Duke and UK .. but there is no reason they couldn't be a sweet sixteen team most seasons with enough effort in recruiting.
Yeah, I suppose you are right....I guess 3.0 does level the playing field a little so maybe things have changed...I just know in 2.0 once you got to the tournament and faced the "big boys" they were usually stacked with studs up and down the roster, so it was very difficult to advance very far in the NT.
10/12/2016 1:49 PM

"In real life, I assure you, there is no such thing as algebra" ~Fran Lebowitz
10/12/2016 1:52 PM
Posted by crabman26 on 10/12/2016 1:36:00 PM (view original):

I agree you can do this at D2 and D3, which is why alot of coaches stay there and its fun (for instance my Millersville team, completely fun to have built them up). But maybe D1 would fill up if the ceiling was kind of eased up? Maybe some of the ghost town conferences would have some coaches in them.
Because if Alcorn St could become a national power along with Towson St, then DI loses some of its luster and you might as well be playing DII and DIII where everyone can win. Removing post season cash and carryover already would have addressed many of the complaints.
10/12/2016 1:54 PM
Finding the sweet spot between having an advantage and having an advantage that is practically insurmountable has proven difficult.
10/12/2016 2:01 PM
Posted by mullycj on 10/12/2016 1:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by crabman26 on 10/12/2016 1:36:00 PM (view original):

Because if Alcorn St could become a national power along with Towson St, then DI loses some of its luster and you might as well be playing DII and DIII where everyone can win. Removing post season cash and carryover already would have addressed many of the complaints.
Good points, D1 would lose some luster...
10/12/2016 2:11 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 10/12/2016 2:01:00 PM (view original):
Finding the sweet spot between having an advantage and having an advantage that is practically insurmountable has proven difficult.
Yeah, I guess this is what I would love to be able to do...find that sweet spot. It sucks feeling hopeless at a low D1 school, but I understand it would make D1 suffer a little if they could become a powerhouse...
10/12/2016 2:12 PM
Posted by crabman26 on 10/12/2016 1:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by noleaniml on 10/12/2016 1:08:00 PM (view original):
Understood, but if the smaller schools have no hope, how is this fun for them? I would think WIS could keep more users if the possibility is there to build your school into a powerhouse without a forced arbitrary ceiling that they currently have.
I truly don't understand how your response applies to what I said. Do smaller schools have a hope in real life? I'm not sure what arbitrary ceiling you are referring to...

Edit: Got it now...
10/12/2016 2:21 PM (edited)
123 Next ▸
Does HD need to mirror real life? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.