So, I have a team in Warner that I tried shotgun. I really struggled with that formation (first time I used it exclusively). Anyone have more experience and mind posting some pointers?

Here were my issues:

1. My WR rotated back into the formation from bottom up. Example: WR#1 would many times re-enter the game as #4WR...which really made allocation of passes a challenge.

2. Even with using the full gambit of WR position options (Possession, Deep, WR1 and WR2). The engine seemed to ignore those position options and kept putting WR#1 in at the WR#4 slot.

3. It could just be me, but wow did fatigue seem to play a greater role. Makes sense if you have 4 WR running all the time, but the impact was greater than I anticipated.

4. My theory was to flood the passing engine and overcome the algorithim for DB vs. WR. To say this didn't work would be an understatement. Trips seem to work much better under this thesis. Odd...I must be missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Nitros (James)
10/14/2016 9:13 AM
One thing I see is that the Formation IQ for shotgun is still very low. You might wanna run trips for 2 to 3 season while still practicing Shotgun. By then your team will be formation iq'd up to snuff to be successful. Then it's up to the Talent and the Game Plan.
10/14/2016 1:15 PM
No doubt there. More curious on the WR rotation. That should be something I can control (somewhat)...I am sure it is an issue on my end. That being said, I have been playing a good while...so I know how to set up the 4 WR slots so that the Pool draws from different sources. This one has me a bit baffled.

Nitros (James)
10/14/2016 3:12 PM
Did you create your own shotgun formation setting that specified which WR depth chart (Possession, Deep, WR1 and WR2) should go into each slot?
10/14/2016 9:37 PM
Ebel: I did indeed. Used WR, Possession, WR1 and WR2 and staggered the players for the formation(s). My best guess is that I do not have enough WR to use Shotgun with any reasonable certainty on how the players will rotate in each play because of fatigue.

10/14/2016 10:05 PM
Yah i didn't look before... you only have 6 wr so that leaves 2 backups, not that many guys to rotate. I use all shotgun at camp UCF, season hasn't started so you can't look at games yet, but I have 9 WR so that's 2+ full sets of starters
10/14/2016 10:17 PM
Used to run some of my teams shotgun exclusive successfully. I liked to have at least 1 backup per starter. 4 starting WR , 4 on the bench. I could live with 3 if the bench guys better than average stamina. With shotgun , also liked to have WR redshirted often.
When shotgun clicks it is lots of fun.
10/14/2016 11:17 PM
Fantastic Ebel. I will run trips this year, grab some more WR next recruiting cycle and watch your season. I may sitemail you if I have some questions. Really appreciate the help. Also...I think Houston was a good pickup in Wilk.
10/15/2016 10:29 AM
I tried it once might play wit it again
10/15/2016 12:15 PM
Hey Ebel did they let you skip D3 in Wilikinson?
10/15/2016 6:33 PM
Posted by jeffn48 on 10/15/2016 6:33:00 PM (view original):
Hey Ebel did they let you skip D3 in Wilikinson?
no i had played 1 season of d3 long time ago. skipping d3 is a good idea though
10/15/2016 7:04 PM
Yeah I agree. I saw that one D3 season but thought you would need more to advance. D3 is fine for new players and people who want to be there to make everyone go through it is a tough call. Was hoping they had come to their senses.
10/15/2016 7:25 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.