in every league there are two or 3 guys that dominate every year example mfmyers. these guys know loop holes that you cant get past even with loaded teams. He beat me and another user in the playoffs by 30. our teams were good. my question is why even play to finish 5 or 6. its frustrating same ol **** every year
10/15/2016 11:24 PM
when the going gets tough... quit going.
10/15/2016 11:44 PM
lol u can suck my d---
10/15/2016 11:55 PM
I know your a loophole champion
10/15/2016 11:56 PM
Posted by raider45638 on 10/15/2016 11:56:00 PM (view original):
I know your a loophole champion
*you're
10/16/2016 12:16 AM
Well...the reason is this. Its sort of like playing golf. You start off and you suck....and you play, and you play. Then one day...you hit that beautiful shot from 143 yards out and it ends up 2 feet from the cup. You tap it in for your first ever birdie...and you are convinced the game is "not so hard".

That keeps you coming back for more.

You learn from the guys like that. I learned a little about recruiting by getting "out recruited" by mfnmyers. A large part of this game is figuring out what the other guy is doing (good or bad). Sometimes its a mystery...sometimes not.

I'm not going to say its not frustrating..but you either get through it or you don't. Getting in the same division as a perennial NC caliber team...not a lot of fun for a newer coach. But being in the opposite division and playing that guy for the CC every season, can be a lot of fun....and the first "goal" of your team.

Everyone can get "unseated" from their throne. Might not be you to do it first...but if someone else does it...then you have another opening to exploit. Having said that....there are some coaches you may never beat. Despite equivalent (I thought) talent....I had an awful record vs gantincbus in Wilk D3. We played nearly every season, for a while, in non conference...and I think I was something like 1-10 vs him. But I liked the challenge and kept on trying (and losing). There were other guys that has similar problems facing my teams. There is always someone you can beat....and someone who can beat you.
10/16/2016 7:27 AM

mfnmyers is a very good coach. Congratulations to him for the success. He has coached St. Olaf in Dobie for 60 seasons and has won 5 national championships. That’s great, but that means other teams/coaches won 55 championships during that time.

BTW, I’ve been blown out in the playoffs by mfnmyers too.

#motivation

10/16/2016 10:44 AM
There are many ways to be competitive in WIS!! One is to become imaginative in both recruiting as well as game planning! I have developed a rather successful program at Villanova by simplifying my approach on both sides of the ball and recruiting to accommodate this philosophy. With DL's at a premium and LB's more available I have gone exclusively with the 3-4 on "D"!!! Also, I have gone with my own criteria in recruiting which allows me to sign guys that are overlooked by others. I "DO NOT" use yatzers tool and only check in with Guess for occasional reference!! I have never had a top recruit class, however I have produced multiple NC's!!! I rely on WE and GPA as an indicator of future growth and have utilized playing time to develop some real studs by the JR. and Sr. years.

I would suggest you hang in there, find your own niche, recruit to your own offense and defensive formations and most importantly be creative with your recruiting approach!!! Not only can you succeed by going with your own philosophy, it is actually more fun and rewarding!!!

Good luck and I wish you much success in the future!!!
10/16/2016 11:08 AM
I appreciate the real advice on here thank you
10/16/2016 8:23 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 10/16/2016 7:27:00 AM (view original):
Well...the reason is this. Its sort of like playing golf. You start off and you suck....and you play, and you play. Then one day...you hit that beautiful shot from 143 yards out and it ends up 2 feet from the cup. You tap it in for your first ever birdie...and you are convinced the game is "not so hard".

That keeps you coming back for more.

You learn from the guys like that. I learned a little about recruiting by getting "out recruited" by mfnmyers. A large part of this game is figuring out what the other guy is doing (good or bad). Sometimes its a mystery...sometimes not.

I'm not going to say its not frustrating..but you either get through it or you don't. Getting in the same division as a perennial NC caliber team...not a lot of fun for a newer coach. But being in the opposite division and playing that guy for the CC every season, can be a lot of fun....and the first "goal" of your team.

Everyone can get "unseated" from their throne. Might not be you to do it first...but if someone else does it...then you have another opening to exploit. Having said that....there are some coaches you may never beat. Despite equivalent (I thought) talent....I had an awful record vs gantincbus in Wilk D3. We played nearly every season, for a while, in non conference...and I think I was something like 1-10 vs him. But I liked the challenge and kept on trying (and losing). There were other guys that has similar problems facing my teams. There is always someone you can beat....and someone who can beat you.
I got a Birdie my first time playing
10/16/2016 10:31 PM
Posted by albright73 on 10/16/2016 11:08:00 AM (view original):
There are many ways to be competitive in WIS!! One is to become imaginative in both recruiting as well as game planning! I have developed a rather successful program at Villanova by simplifying my approach on both sides of the ball and recruiting to accommodate this philosophy. With DL's at a premium and LB's more available I have gone exclusively with the 3-4 on "D"!!! Also, I have gone with my own criteria in recruiting which allows me to sign guys that are overlooked by others. I "DO NOT" use yatzers tool and only check in with Guess for occasional reference!! I have never had a top recruit class, however I have produced multiple NC's!!! I rely on WE and GPA as an indicator of future growth and have utilized playing time to develop some real studs by the JR. and Sr. years.

I would suggest you hang in there, find your own niche, recruit to your own offense and defensive formations and most importantly be creative with your recruiting approach!!! Not only can you succeed by going with your own philosophy, it is actually more fun and rewarding!!!

Good luck and I wish you much success in the future!!!
For new coaches, Albright shares some solid nuggets of wisdom in that post.

Create your system and build your talent around the strengths of that system. Learn from the coaches that you lose to time and again, and don't be afraid to ask those coaches questions on why they've been successful. They may not give you the secret sauce, but in my experience, you'll be surprised at how willing coaches will share and help others out.
10/16/2016 10:44 PM
Well, you tried and you failed. The lesson here is: Never try. Trying is just the first step to failure.
10/17/2016 12:13 AM
Get out of D3 and you won't have to deal with the squatter "powerhouse" teams. Talent is all that matters at that level and you will likely never be able to compete with their vision edge in recruiting. (no real game planning and minimal impact from formation IQ in D3)
10/17/2016 1:57 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.