Official: Coaches Okay With Recruit Jumping Topic

I'm OK with coaches jumping on my recruits. I'm not OK with coaches jumping on my recruits on the signing cycle when I have no chance to fight back. I have been known to retaliate when that has happened.
10/18/2016 3:35 PM
Posted by slid64er on 10/18/2016 3:35:00 PM (view original):
I'm OK with coaches jumping on my recruits. I'm not OK with coaches jumping on my recruits on the signing cycle when I have no chance to fight back. I have been known to retaliate when that has happened.
This.
10/18/2016 3:42 PM
Interesting. I did not know you could go red to green/signed on the last cycle. I know you can do it after the last cycle.
10/18/2016 4:11 PM
Let's say you're in D-1A and after the first 2 days of recruiting all of your targets are green but you have $50k left to spend. Maybe you've turned the 25th best QB green but you'd like to upgrade if possible because your goal is to build the best team. You scout a few QBs in the #5-15 range to find one with good potential. It's definitely risky but I think the most likely way to land one of these better QBs might be to use the rest of your money the period before signing day and hope you get the recruit before the other coach has a chance to pour more money in.

I understand this is a very specific hypothetical and that's dangerous but I just think everything is fair in recruiting as long as you're trying to improve your team.

Note that I'm never disciplined enough at picking out realistic targets to have any sort of budget left after the first few days to utilize this strategy.
10/18/2016 5:18 PM
Posted by FB_Trap on 10/18/2016 9:22:00 AM (view original):
Like most coaches in GD, I've always shied away from jumping on another coach's recruit in the 11th hour before signing, especially recruits I had never been in consideration for previously.

However, if I knew a coach was okay with late round recruit jumping, then I'd feel okay with making a play.

So, here is the start of an official list of GD coaches who have demonstrated they are okay with late round recruit jumping. Add the names of coaches who have shown they are okay with it, so that others may know when they need not worry about taking a run with those extra recruiting dollars.
Probably we need to define "the 11th hour." When is the final cycle that a coach can put effort toward a recruit considering another school without being considered a jerk for doing so?

I once had a coach complain on the forums that I had jumped on his recruit "while I was asleep." That action had actually taken place during the 9 p.m. cycle, which gave him four more cycles to counter before signings. I thought that was fair, but he apparently believed opposing coaches should cease all activity at 6 p.m. and that nothing more should occur until he was eating breakfast.

I might agree that jumping on someone's recruit during the last cycle, the signing cycle, could be considered bad form.

One more aside ... at least in my worlds, you can't settle for undecideds at Division I. By the time you get to signing day, any "undecided" player is nobody you want to see on your roster.
10/18/2016 5:24 PM
I make a real effort to not jump on a recruit in the last cycle. I do not believe I have ever done it. However, I have attempted to dump a lot of money on a recruit at 8:00 pm the night before through OVs only to have the recruit turn down my OV offers until the 2nd to the last cycle the following morning, which meant the other coach only had one cycle to respond. I think this type of thing happens fairly frequently.
10/18/2016 5:48 PM
"....and that nothing more should occur until he was eating breakfast."

If that were true I would always skip breakfast.
10/18/2016 5:49 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by waregl72 on 10/18/2016 12:59:00 PM (view original):
I never go after a recruit that is considering a human coach if he wasn't undecided when I started after him. I think it is bad karma and sportsmanship. If you want to "upgrade" with money left there are more than likely undecideds or SIM AI recruits you can go after. I personally use up money all the time doing just that, but never go after another coach's guy. It is wrong IMO and makes you look like an ******* IMO.
From one Auburn man to another, I completely disagree!
10/18/2016 11:56 PM
In my opinion, it's all in the game. If someone is trying to improve their team, it's not their fault the other team isn't prepared. Keep a surplus if you don't want people on your turf.
10/19/2016 2:24 AM
Posted by youngruff on 10/19/2016 2:24:00 AM (view original):
In my opinion, it's all in the game. If someone is trying to improve their team, it's not their fault the other team isn't prepared. Keep a surplus if you don't want people on your turf.
I don't disagree - but that doesn't mean you can't hate the red to green signing cycle swipe and plan future retaliation.
10/19/2016 9:07 AM
Posted by treyomo on 10/19/2016 9:07:00 AM (view original):
Posted by youngruff on 10/19/2016 2:24:00 AM (view original):
I don't disagree - but that doesn't mean you can't hate the red to green signing cycle swipe and plan future retaliation.
Yup. Totally.
10/19/2016 11:22 AM
This sportsmanship **** is the reason why dynasties are formed. I've noticed since day 1 that people tend to stay away from battling coaches for their recruits and forcing them to spend money and allowing the coaches be able to get top 10 recruits for free. I think many people are missing a very viable part of this game, there are 2 parts of the game where people can compete and make a difference in the outcomes of the game. 1) Recruiting 2) Gameplanning.

I would say the break down is like 80% Recruiting, and 20% game planning. Therefore, many people here are missing a very valuable perspective on why I target players in other coaches backyards etc, because it's very important that my players are better than their players, and so if in the 11th hour I see a player who is battling on 3 players and it looks to be blood baths and I notice he got a QB of a high caliber for cheap (meaning no competition), you better believe I will attack this player and make sure to ruin their class, because most of the time players only target 1 QB which can have a huge impact on his team's performance in the future. Let's say I steal that QB a (48 GUESS OVR), and he has to sign a QB (41 GUESS OVR), that will have a significant impact on his teams in a few years.

I never target anyone's players to get at them or to have bad etiquette as you guys call it, I simply am playing a game, and the recruiting battle ground is 1 area of the game where you can help your team by hurting someone else's it's part of the game.
10/19/2016 12:34 PM
There is a difference between recruiting with the intent to sign, and recruiting just to make the other coach spend money.
10/19/2016 12:50 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 10/18/2016 12:52:00 PM (view original):
This discussion is very enlightening.
Agreed. This conversation let's you know who should watch out for.
10/20/2016 12:40 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Official: Coaches Okay With Recruit Jumping Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.