Official: Coaches Okay With Recruit Jumping Topic

Posted by gators06 on 10/20/2016 12:40:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bjschumacher on 10/18/2016 12:52:00 PM (view original):
This discussion is very enlightening.
Agreed. This conversation let's you know who should watch out for.
Perhaps this was the thread's ultimate purpose? Bwahahahaha
10/20/2016 8:13 AM
I appreciate everyone's comments. They've been informative and some good points have been made. That said, I'll be sticking to my own policy of not jumping on another coach's recruit out of the blue in the last round or two before signing. At least at the D-III level. One of the better points made, I thought, was that recruiting at the D-I level is by necessity more of a bar fight. But at D-III it just doesn't make sense, either in terms of available talent or in terms of available funds.

As for the situation that got me to start this thread, my frugal money-ball recruiting of previous seasons paid off. I was able to land the recruit that was jumped and do it while stringing the other coach along until the 6am round this morning. I suspect he dumped more money on him than he intended or could afford. We'll see if he's able to now land a full class.

I also took the opportunity to jump on a great DT recruit that I saw was green on a coach that late-round jumped a DT recruit of mine a couple of season ago in another world. That felt good. Completely blindsided him on the noon cycle, not unlike what he had done to me. I noticed he appeared to be in a couple of other recruiting battles, so we'll see if he recovers and lands a complete class now.

Bonus of it all I somehow still managed to leave a few coins in the war chest. I'm thinking next year I may just have to go back and jump another recruit or two from those coaches. You know, just to put an exclamation point on things. ;-)
10/21/2016 11:22 AM
Revenge is a dish best served cold !
10/21/2016 12:07 PM
Posted by FB_Trap on 10/21/2016 11:22:00 AM (view original):
I appreciate everyone's comments. They've been informative and some good points have been made. That said, I'll be sticking to my own policy of not jumping on another coach's recruit out of the blue in the last round or two before signing. At least at the D-III level. One of the better points made, I thought, was that recruiting at the D-I level is by necessity more of a bar fight. But at D-III it just doesn't make sense, either in terms of available talent or in terms of available funds.

As for the situation that got me to start this thread, my frugal money-ball recruiting of previous seasons paid off. I was able to land the recruit that was jumped and do it while stringing the other coach along until the 6am round this morning. I suspect he dumped more money on him than he intended or could afford. We'll see if he's able to now land a full class.

I also took the opportunity to jump on a great DT recruit that I saw was green on a coach that late-round jumped a DT recruit of mine a couple of season ago in another world. That felt good. Completely blindsided him on the noon cycle, not unlike what he had done to me. I noticed he appeared to be in a couple of other recruiting battles, so we'll see if he recovers and lands a complete class now.

Bonus of it all I somehow still managed to leave a few coins in the war chest. I'm thinking next year I may just have to go back and jump another recruit or two from those coaches. You know, just to put an exclamation point on things. ;-)
Atta boy. I love it.
10/21/2016 1:15 PM
I have never understood the desire for "revenge" or "payback". Go get the best players you can. If that means fighting someone for a player, so be it. To target someone else specifically (at the potential cost to your own recruiting) just seems counter-productive.
10/23/2016 8:17 PM
Posted by bhazlewood on 10/23/2016 8:17:00 PM (view original):
I have never understood the desire for "revenge" or "payback". Go get the best players you can. If that means fighting someone for a player, so be it. To target someone else specifically (at the potential cost to your own recruiting) just seems counter-productive.
So am I more now likely to take one of your recruits or another coach's that I think will come back at me next season?
10/23/2016 10:41 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 10/23/2016 10:41:00 PM (view original):
So am I more now likely to take one of your recruits or another coach's that I think will come back at me next season?
So, should I battle for OL A who's a 85, or OL B who's a 81 but has the coach that "sniped" me two seasons ago? Or maybe both, and end up losing both because my desire for payback was stronger than my desire to improve my team?
10/24/2016 8:26 AM
Posted by bhazlewood on 10/24/2016 8:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ebel331 on 10/23/2016 10:41:00 PM (view original):
So, should I battle for OL A who's a 85, or OL B who's a 81 but has the coach that "sniped" me two seasons ago? Or maybe both, and end up losing both because my desire for payback was stronger than my desire to improve my team?
The wise coach will wait for the coach that sniped him to be recruiting something he wants/needs.
10/24/2016 11:26 AM
the best is when can payback during same recruiting period... coach has his signings lined up and uses his leftover money to take a shot on one your guys... defend your player and take one or two of his commits also. they will probably look elsewhere next time they want to upgrade
10/24/2016 12:20 PM
It's an under appreciated facet of the game. Recruit who you need. Battle or don't battle. Who cares. I liked the post that someone said about recruits not being "yours" until they sign. Can't be any clearer.
10/24/2016 2:41 PM
trotter33 is a known poacher and I will get even.
11/5/2016 3:32 AM
◂ Prev 123
Official: Coaches Okay With Recruit Jumping Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.