I have set my position player rest at all levels to 98 in the management console. I follow this up with changing each position player to 98 in the edit player settings. Yet I get players who fall below these thresholds -- and not just a point or two, especially if I miss it at one of the minor-league levels.

Is there something else I should be doing? Does having manage offenses checked matter? (I have them unchecked, meaning I manage my lineups, not AI.)

Also, why does it take position players so long to recover when they are deactivated in the minors, while pitchers recover leaps and bounds faster?
10/19/2016 8:47 PM
If you do not have a back-up at that spot, meaning there is no secondary player available, there is no replacement for your fatigued player.

Every notice how pitcher go from 100% to 27% after a start? Does that happen with position players?
10/19/2016 8:50 PM
You hit the nail on the head in the second para. If it has you managing lineups, Simmy assumes you can manually rest your team. Since, you know, you're managing the lineup.

as for pitchers well they recover the amount of their durability. So they may be at 20 [48] and it will go up from there. A position player at, say, 97 percent may take a couple series.
10/19/2016 8:51 PM
If you see a player not resting it means Simmy can't find a backup to put in for him. You have to look at all the Player Rest hierarchies and make sure enough players are listed at backup positions, and they aren't cancelling each other out. Might even want to dress one extra backup player and inactivate one more pitcher.

10/19/2016 8:55 PM
The true backup might be the issue. I guess I thought that, like in case of injury, the algorithm would plug in the next appropriate player.

I was just using the pitchers as an example of how quickly they recover as opposed to position players.
10/20/2016 2:31 AM
The "true backup" IS the issue.

If your starting 2B falls below 98%, and you have a backup 2B on the bench (listed with 2B as his primary position), the bench 2B will replace the starter 2B in the starting lineup.

On the other hand, if you don't have a player on the bench who's primary position is 2B, then the starter will not be replaced. Secondary positions are not considered by auto-rest (though it would be nice if they were).

Pitchers and position players use different fatigue/recovery models. One of the worst things you may occasionally encounter is if you have a position player come in to pitch. He will fatigue (deeply) using the pitcher's model, but will recover (slowly) using the position player's model
10/20/2016 12:54 PM
Don't forget to adjust your blowout replacement settings as well. Cam solve a lot of player rest issues.
10/22/2016 4:30 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/20/2016 12:54:00 PM (view original):
The "true backup" IS the issue.

If your starting 2B falls below 98%, and you have a backup 2B on the bench (listed with 2B as his primary position), the bench 2B will replace the starter 2B in the starting lineup.

On the other hand, if you don't have a player on the bench who's primary position is 2B, then the starter will not be replaced. Secondary positions are not considered by auto-rest (though it would be nice if they were).

Pitchers and position players use different fatigue/recovery models. One of the worst things you may occasionally encounter is if you have a position player come in to pitch. He will fatigue (deeply) using the pitcher's model, but will recover (slowly) using the position player's model
If secondary positions are not considered by auto-rest, what's the point of the rest hierarchy page?
11/22/2016 2:06 PM
Different scenario. One is "rest when up/down by..." while the other is "rest if fatigued...."
11/22/2016 2:14 PM
Why not have rest hierarchy mean rest hierarchy, across the board? Here's what the "help" page for the Rest Hierarchy page says:

"From this page, you may set the player rest hierarchy the manager uses to determine playing time. This hierarchy is used in conjunction with the individual player AutoRest setting to decide who starts at what position and is also used during the game in blowout and injury/ejection situations. For instance, if Gomes is the LF in your starting lineup but his fatigue is below his AutoRest setting, then the #2 choice in the hierarchy would get the start instead. If he's not available, then the #3 guy gets the nod, etc. Before the regular season starts, users will only be able to change their hierarchies for Spring Training Squad rosters."

The implication is clear that the Rest Hierarchy determines who starts at a position if the starter needs to rest. There is nothing here to tell us that secondary positions are not considered; that if your backup second baseman is primarily a shortstop, then you're wasting your time - your 2b will play till he drops.

Seems to me they need to either fix Rest Hierarchy and secondary positions, so they work as implied; or that they change the wording about what Rest Hierarchy actually does.
11/24/2016 6:59 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.