Mets off season, bye bye Cespedes Topic

I was on a Mets blog and the question was: Should the Mets re-sign Neil Walker? I thought about it but I couldn't answer it, without going into the whole roster.

When considering the Mets roster for next year, start by taking a look at the guys they have under contract and then determine all their needs and then prioritize them. In the infield, there is Jose Reyes, Wilmer Flores, T.J. Rivera, Asdrubel Cabrera, David Wright, and Lucas Duda. It seems to me that Reyes can play third base, and they must have his bat at the top of the lineup. Cabrera is the short stop. I could see a spring battle for 2nd base though I think Rivera would have the edge because Flores is so valuable as the backup because he can play all four positions. At first, Duda is serviceable, or I've heard that Conforto is a possibility, though I see him as an OF. David Wright could possibly platoon at 1st base, but I can't watch him throw the ball across the diamond anymore. I think its safe to assume that any contribution David Wright makes next year is a bonus. About Walker, it depends first on health, and then on their evaluation of TJ Rivera and Wilmer Flores as a second baseman. A healthy Walker is an excellent fielder and a very good hitter. My guess is they won't unless he wants to come for one or two seasons. One other interesting prospect is Gavin Cecchini, who wowed me with his bat in the September call up. He COULD play a role in the 2B situation, but likely will start the season in AAA because he has played mostly SS in the minors.

With regards to the OF, the Mets have JB Jason Bay, oops I meant Jay Bruce, freudian slip there. They have Conforto, Granderson, Lagares, Nimmo and Bruce and .... Everyone seems to think the Mets NEED Cespedes. And people are demanding that the Wilpons open their wallet and pay him. I personally think it is unlikely that Sandy Alderson will sign him. We all love Cespedes for his big HRs and how he carried us to the playoffs in August 2015. But if he opts out, he will then be looking for 5 or 6 year deal in the neighborhood of $150 mill. In the next year or 3, the Mets will have to start signing their young pitchers and it will be tough when you are already paying an OF $30 mill per year. Some other drawbacks are that Cespedes seems to get nicked up a lot, he’s a bit of a diva, I mean he doesn’t play CF anymore, and can’t catch a fly ball in LF, though his arm is best suited for RF. Its his God given right to play golf every day of the year apparently. He takes plays off in the field and on the bases. I think Alderson would make him an offer, but I think 4 years is all he’d go, maybe just three. Perhaps Cespedes will not opt out. He loves NY, he knows if he opts out, he’s going to get a better offer elsewhere. Maybe he’ll just stay. If he doesn’t, I think the Mets will stand pat in the OF with the 5 they have.

If Cespedes leaves, they still will need a big bat. First base would be a nice spot since Duda is kind of uninspiring. Unfortunately there are not a lot of great 1Bs out there, only Edwin Encarnacion could promise the kind of thunder that Cespedes provides, and he’s 33 (we think). Jonathan Lucroy is a nice hitter and would be a huge upgrade at catcher, but he’s really not a thumper - the 24 dingers he hit this year was the first time he topped 20 in his career. OF Mark Trumbo is another possibility at 1B. He could play OF if they move Conforto to 1B. OR, the Mets could make a trade, perhaps for a young player who might hit FA the following year.

Even if they do nothing, they should have their entire rotation healthy for 2017, and that should put the Mets back in the playoffs even if they signed no one. I would love to bring Big Sexy back too. All he does is lead the Mets in wins every year. Not sure if Addison Reed is under contract for next year, but Alderson has done a nice job mixing home grown talent with veteran acquisitions so I think the bullpen will be fine.

So the outlook is very good. If they could just land that one bat…

10/20/2016 7:00 PM
Bud, is that you?
10/20/2016 7:15 PM
No one but Long Island *** holes give a **** about the Mets
10/22/2016 1:13 PM
I grew up on Long Island and I don't give a **** about the Mets.
10/22/2016 4:48 PM
The Mets can kiss my sack.
10/22/2016 5:32 PM
they can, but why would they want to?
10/23/2016 12:30 PM
Good point.
10/23/2016 1:19 PM
well, they are the Mets. there's no telling what they might want. That DeGrom guy looks like he might enjoy kissing your sack.
10/24/2016 2:10 PM
Don't resign Walker. I love Cespedes but he will want too much for too long so don't resign him.
Too many IF's on Mets. Degrom hurt ? Harvey hurt ? Hell every SP was hurt significant time Except the fat 40 + year old Colone whom I love because he gives you innings And was probably their 2nd best pitcher. Duda ? = .260+30 HR on a full year. But When does he give a full year ? Never; only question is when his back gives out for the season. Ligares ? One of the best living OF. I would put him in CF and leave him there as long as he gives me .260+ with 10+HR. But just like Duda he NEVER gives full season ; always critically hurt somewhere. Wright? .270 with 10 HR on full season but just like Duda and Ligares a full season is about as realistic a goal as having Gandalf the Grey play shortstop. Aint gonna happen.
Basically the Mets are a walking hospital ward and about to lose their best bat. Love to see em win world series but predicting another disasterous year.
10/30/2016 3:48 AM
Familia arrested. Domestic violence.
11/1/2016 3:16 PM
Oops.
11/1/2016 5:44 PM
Go, Rumble Ponies!!!!
11/3/2016 12:36 PM
11/3/2016 3:38 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 10/20/2016 7:15:00 PM (view original):
Bud, is that you?
No, but I carry his banner! he was a great little SS back in the day.
11/22/2016 11:55 PM
ESPN reporting Cespedes gets 4yrs, $110M from Mets
11/29/2016 2:25 PM
12 Next ▸
Mets off season, bye bye Cespedes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.