The system actually works!!! Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by Benis on 10/21/2016 5:34:00 PM (view original):
Mully, I'm going to say something that we all know to be true. I think we need to start acknowledging it.

It's not that Spud doesn't get it. He's smart enough to get it. It's that he doesn't WANT to get it. These are very different things. Spud is just trolling us. That's all he's done since he joined and started posting on the forums. He made Beta miserable and ruined thread after thread. I really wonder what Beta would have been like had he not be there.

I propose that we all just stop responding to him. I'm giving up. It's pointless to argue with someone who simply doesn't want to see any viewpoint other than their own. I'll continue to post things in threads to make sure people aren't misinformed by things that Spud posts. But honestly, I'm not too worried about it. Any newbie can take a look at his post history and see what it contains and quickly determine that they probably should be skeptical of everything they read by him.

So lets band together and stop feeding him. I'm one of the biggest problems here... I will do my best to stop trying to reason with him or debate with him. All it does is create bickering between all of us and the forums are full of it. Me personally, I don't mind it and wouldn't care if people yelled at each other all day but it wouldn't be good for the game. It's a little early but I'll start #nospudnovember right now.
+1000
10/21/2016 6:13 PM
But what makes spud dangerous is he appears to be an alias, which means it's some other user with a bizarre agenda.
10/21/2016 6:34 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 10/20/2016 11:54:00 PM (view original):
I'm also strongly in the camp saying D-3 schools shouldn't be able to sign D-1 recruits.
I am fine with that .. BUT .. I am also fine with it the way it is. You can, as both a D1 and D2 team, knock off any D1 or d2 recruit if you have time to open up the scholarship offer.

Recruits are recruits, not really DI, D2, D3. It is very risky for a d3 team to do what he did here, and he lost. As will any other D3 team if people want the guy.

If the SIMAI D1 teams are filling their spots, I don't want them over recruiting. If a guy falls through the cracks, then he does. Why should that bother anyone? I am all for SIMs recruiting a bit better, but I don't want them over recruiting. Are SIM teams now not filling their slots?

All of that said, I have no issues with making D1 guys off limits for D3 teams, if the majority want that, even though I think it is no big deal.
10/21/2016 7:45 PM
Posted by Benis on 10/21/2016 5:34:00 PM (view original):
Mully, I'm going to say something that we all know to be true. I think we need to start acknowledging it.

It's not that Spud doesn't get it. He's smart enough to get it. It's that he doesn't WANT to get it. These are very different things. Spud is just trolling us. That's all he's done since he joined and started posting on the forums. He made Beta miserable and ruined thread after thread. I really wonder what Beta would have been like had he not be there.

I propose that we all just stop responding to him. I'm giving up. It's pointless to argue with someone who simply doesn't want to see any viewpoint other than their own. I'll continue to post things in threads to make sure people aren't misinformed by things that Spud posts. But honestly, I'm not too worried about it. Any newbie can take a look at his post history and see what it contains and quickly determine that they probably should be skeptical of everything they read by him.

So lets band together and stop feeding him. I'm one of the biggest problems here... I will do my best to stop trying to reason with him or debate with him. All it does is create bickering between all of us and the forums are full of it. Me personally, I don't mind it and wouldn't care if people yelled at each other all day but it wouldn't be good for the game. It's a little early but I'll start #nospudnovember right now.
8 seasons and 571 posts...
Pretty pathetic
10/21/2016 10:14 PM
Quote post by mullycj on 10/21/2016 4:52:00 PM:
"Consider a poll: for new D3 coaches only:
(1) do you want (A) good players or (B) lousy players on your roster compared to other teams in YOUR DIVISION
(2) Which is more
fun, (A) playing with good players on your roster, or (B) playing with lousy players on your roster compared to other teams in your division?"

(3) Which is more fun, (A) playing in a league with a mix of good and lousy players, or (B) playing in a league with all lousy players?
10/21/2016 10:45 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 10/21/2016 10:45:00 PM (view original):
(1) do you want (A) good players or (B) lousy players on your roster compared to other teams in YOUR DIVISION
(2) Which is more
fun, (A) playing with good players on your roster, or (B) playing with lousy players on your roster compared to other teams in your division?"

(3) Which is more fun, (A) playing in a league with a mix of good and lousy players, or (B) playing in a league with all lousy players?
Fixed that for you. But ... you didn't answer. Since you pose as an expert, (1A) or (1B) ... (2A) or (2B) ???
10/21/2016 10:48 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Really gonna miss those Mr hankey gifs.
10/21/2016 10:59 PM
Posted by Benis on 10/21/2016 10:59:00 PM (view original):
Really gonna miss those Mr hankey gifs.
Had to stop anyway.

The producers at South park emailed me and said I had to stop disrespecting Hankey like that.

10/21/2016 11:03 PM
Aww, not experts after all, nothing to say about the game, no answers to my questions. Nothing but garden variety haters.

#exposed #doneindeed
10/21/2016 11:15 PM
Hahahaha now that was funny.
10/21/2016 11:16 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 10/21/2016 10:48:00 PM (view original):
(2) Which is more

Fixed that for you. But ... you didn't answer. Since you pose as an expert, (1A) or (1B) ... (2A) or (2B) ???
I think we need to get back to the relativity thing here. Based on the questions, I'm not sure you understand the concept... I will take you through it step by step.
1. Do you agree that all players have varying levels of quality? So, even among the "lousy players" group, there are players who are less lousy and there are player who are more lousy. A guy with 20s all across the board is better than a player with 10s all across the board, however both are still lousy.
2. Do you agree that rules that apply to one D3 team also apply to all of the other D3 teams? If Colorado College cant recruit D1 players, then neither can Palm Beach Atlantic. Thus, the coach at Colorado College and the coach at Palm Beach Atlantic have the same set of possible players that they can recruit from.
3. Now, lets say that we constrain the possible number of recruits to be just D3. And for the purposes of this exercise, lets assume that there are only 100 recruits in this pool. So, by point #2 above, both Colorado College and Palm Beach Atlantic have 100 total possible recruits that they can pick. Right?
4. By point #1 above, we know that although they may all be "lousy" relative to the top 150 at D1, the players still have varying degrees of ineptitude. So, lets bucket them into "ineptitude buckets". The best players in this set get an A, the worst players in this set get an F. Lets say the distribution is 3xA's, 25x B's, 25x C's, 25x D's, 22x F's
5. For the purposes of this exercise, lets assume that both Palm Beach Atlantic and Colorado College only have 3 openings. Now, lets say the coaches at Palm Beach Atlantic get all 3 players with A's. Thus, Colorado College's recruits must have ineptitude grades of B or worse, right?
6. So, Palm Beach Atlantic has an advantage, right? they have the least lousy players from among the possible set. They are in for a really successful season!

Now, i will take a second to answer your questions above:
Question 1 - I pick A. obviously i would rather have good players on my roster relative to the other teams in my division. but that is not influenced by the cap on possible players who you can recruit. As shown by the example above, although Palm Beach Atlantic's players are lousy due to the cap, they are not lousy relative to the division that they play in.
Question 2 - I pick A. Obviously it is more fun to win, and you are more likely to win with good players. However, that is also not influenced by the cap on possible players who you can recruit. Palm Beach Atlantic would probably win, and they have "lousy" players.

Do you see why the relativity matters here? And thus why questions 1 and 2 dont make sense

Question 3 - I pick B. Id like to hear what a wide range of people want, though. I wonder what the legends (jsajsa, brianxavier, and tarvolon for example) think should happen at D3 - they are probably the ones who would eventually separate themselves from the pack with the wider range in caliber of recruit. Would this make it less fun for them? How about the new folks- would limiting the subset of players that they can recruit make the recruiting process less overwhelming? I could see it being really frustrating if you spend all your cash on a D1 guy and lose out and then have a bunch of walk-ons in your first year because you dont know what the reasonable boundaries are for your scouting searches.
10/24/2016 5:35 PM
Wow benrudy. Nice post. Pretty much sums it up about as good as anyone possibly could.

Good luck getting an intelligent response back.
10/24/2016 5:58 PM
Posted by benrudy on 10/24/2016 5:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by CoachSpud on 10/21/2016 10:48:00 PM (view original):
(2) Which is more

I think we need to get back to the relativity thing here. Based on the questions, I'm not sure you understand the concept... I will take you through it step by step.
1. Do you agree that all players have varying levels of quality? So, even among the "lousy players" group, there are players who are less lousy and there are player who are more lousy. A guy with 20s all across the board is better than a player with 10s all across the board, however both are still lousy.
2. Do you agree that rules that apply to one D3 team also apply to all of the other D3 teams? If Colorado College cant recruit D1 players, then neither can Palm Beach Atlantic. Thus, the coach at Colorado College and the coach at Palm Beach Atlantic have the same set of possible players that they can recruit from.
3. Now, lets say that we constrain the possible number of recruits to be just D3. And for the purposes of this exercise, lets assume that there are only 100 recruits in this pool. So, by point #2 above, both Colorado College and Palm Beach Atlantic have 100 total possible recruits that they can pick. Right?
4. By point #1 above, we know that although they may all be "lousy" relative to the top 150 at D1, the players still have varying degrees of ineptitude. So, lets bucket them into "ineptitude buckets". The best players in this set get an A, the worst players in this set get an F. Lets say the distribution is 3xA's, 25x B's, 25x C's, 25x D's, 22x F's
5. For the purposes of this exercise, lets assume that both Palm Beach Atlantic and Colorado College only have 3 openings. Now, lets say the coaches at Palm Beach Atlantic get all 3 players with A's. Thus, Colorado College's recruits must have ineptitude grades of B or worse, right?
6. So, Palm Beach Atlantic has an advantage, right? they have the least lousy players from among the possible set. They are in for a really successful season!

Now, i will take a second to answer your questions above:
Question 1 - I pick A. obviously i would rather have good players on my roster relative to the other teams in my division. but that is not influenced by the cap on possible players who you can recruit. As shown by the example above, although Palm Beach Atlantic's players are lousy due to the cap, they are not lousy relative to the division that they play in.
Question 2 - I pick A. Obviously it is more fun to win, and you are more likely to win with good players. However, that is also not influenced by the cap on possible players who you can recruit. Palm Beach Atlantic would probably win, and they have "lousy" players.

Do you see why the relativity matters here? And thus why questions 1 and 2 dont make sense

Question 3 - I pick B. Id like to hear what a wide range of people want, though. I wonder what the legends (jsajsa, brianxavier, and tarvolon for example) think should happen at D3 - they are probably the ones who would eventually separate themselves from the pack with the wider range in caliber of recruit. Would this make it less fun for them? How about the new folks- would limiting the subset of players that they can recruit make the recruiting process less overwhelming? I could see it being really frustrating if you spend all your cash on a D1 guy and lose out and then have a bunch of walk-ons in your first year because you dont know what the reasonable boundaries are for your scouting searches.
I really don't think it matters.

There is a subset of recruits that are available to all players. The coaches who can figure out who the best recruits are and get them will be the best coaches in the that World / Division / Conference.

If all the coaches get to recruit from the same pool, whether they get to grab some D1 guys or not, or only some D2 guys or only D3 guys .. the coaches who can figure out the best players are and get them will always be the best.

The only way that changes is that there are NOT enough good players to go around. There see to be enough so it does not matter.

Also making it not matter .. some guys labelled D2 are better than some guys labelled D1 and some guys labelled D3 are better than guys labelled D2, etc. This is because the ratings and labelling does not take into account potential. If you do not take into account potential, the the ratings are basically worthless. So, not allowing D1 guys to filter down. but allowing D2 guys who are better than the D1 guys to filter down (if they fall through the cracks) offset each other.

As long as they define a recruiting pool and and everyone in every division has equal access to a given set of recruits that they need to evaluate and get the best of on their team ..the best coaches will find the best methods to get the best recruits most of the time.
10/24/2016 6:10 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
The system actually works!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.