New Play by Play Topic

Does anyone else dislike the new play by play? I am finding it unenjoyable to follow. Can we start a poll to see or does anyone have some suggestions on how to fix this?

Since 3.0 I do not wake up excited to read the play by play regardless of it being a NT or preseason game. I know I might just be viewed as a 2.0 complainer but if enough people voice this concern there should be an easy fix.
10/23/2016 9:56 AM
I REALLY like the PBP. I always read it from my phone and find it to be much better.
10/23/2016 10:04 AM
kevb, what don't you like about it specifically?

i don't mind it. i think i'm just used to it already. it doesn't take away from the experience for me.
10/23/2016 10:45 AM
The reason they shifted it from split on opposite sides to a single column is for mobile views. kevb .. if you look at it on your cell phone or small tablet, you will immediately see why they changed it.

On my main workstation screen, I would prefer the old way .. on my mobile devices, I greatly prefer the new way.
10/23/2016 10:58 AM
I think it's far worse. The problem seems to be the difficulty in following possession changes. The background colors, instead of simply alternating by field, should change only by possession.

Currently, when I read it, my eye tracks right to the bold scoring plays, but that robs it of any interest in non-scoring plays. In the prior version, possession was designated by left/right to away/home. Now there is nothing distinguishing that. It may be a programming challenge or easy, but the background could be set for home/away by team color designated or just white/grey. The summary fields (I.e. roster, substitution, gameplan, etc) should have a different field color.

If you really want PBP to change, all users must go to user settings to make the PBP pop up as the default. Admin suggested somewhere that only a small % of users currently default to PBP...so why should they spend time improving something no one reads? Anyone follow the logical phallacy there?

It's unreadable. However, no one reads it. So, why fix it?
10/23/2016 11:02 AM
PBP now good on mobile devices and confusing, less informative, on laptop or desktop....its the wave of the future.

10/23/2016 11:11 AM
Posted by mamxet on 10/23/2016 11:11:00 AM (view original):
PBP now good on mobile devices and confusing, less informative, on laptop or desktop....its the wave of the future.

I don't see any less information .. it is just formatted differently. Unless I am missing something.
10/23/2016 11:22 AM
I usually access it from my computer, so the new pbp is harder for me. Maybe I just need more time getting used to it.
10/23/2016 11:27 AM
I use my iphone to access the play by play. It is hard to follow who has possession and it feels mashed together. Maybe I just need more time getting used to it OR they can make some tweaks to make it a little better.

Does anyone know how to start a Poll to see what the majority and minority say. I really wish WIS used it's influence to start more Polls directly from the Conference Chat pages. I only saw 1 poll from seble and it was long after I abandoned the beta test (which I really regret).
10/23/2016 11:59 AM
Posted by thewizard17 on 10/23/2016 11:27:00 AM (view original):
I usually access it from my computer, so the new pbp is harder for me. Maybe I just need more time getting used to it.
I didn't say I liked it .. it is harder for me as well. Just explained why they did it. Mobile traffic on the web is more than 50% now. Google is going to start lowering rankings for places that do not have mobile friendly pages, etc.

They could theoretically allow us to choose what we see, and have both types.
10/23/2016 12:00 PM
This update was significantly push to be better for mobile users, except they made many desktop actions an afterthought. One of my biggest frustrations is windows not being fully open, like the team page. I hate having to resize and scroll left to right every time I want to look at my opponents ratings and stats. Unfortunately this is something on mobile as well.
10/23/2016 1:47 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 10/23/2016 11:22:00 AM (view original):

I don't see any less information .. it is just formatted differently. Unless I am missing something.
no, yuou are right and I stand corrected

feels to me like less info because possessions by each team no longer separated - so harder to scan for anything you want to see in your possessions or an opponents - the info is there, but without that separation harder to scan - say, for when did a player pick up fouls - or when was a player doubled....etc

it is all there, but division by team is gone
10/23/2016 3:27 PM
Posted by mamxet on 10/23/2016 3:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hughesjr on 10/23/2016 11:22:00 AM (view original):

no, yuou are right and I stand corrected

feels to me like less info because possessions by each team no longer separated - so harder to scan for anything you want to see in your possessions or an opponents - the info is there, but without that separation harder to scan - say, for when did a player pick up fouls - or when was a player doubled....etc

it is all there, but division by team is gone
Actually rogelio made a very good suggestion .. Use one color for each team in the PBP, it would be easier to designate which team has the ball. I would go one step further and say use a light base color for the team when they have the ball.. unless both teams have the same base color .. then make the visiting team grey if they do have the same base color.
10/23/2016 6:52 PM
I've completely stopped reading the PBP under 3.0. Too annoying to follow the action. Used to read it nightly, but that was one of the first behavior changes that 3.0 inspired.
10/23/2016 7:55 PM
Posted by kevb on 10/23/2016 9:57:00 AM (view original):
Does anyone else dislike the new play by play? I am finding it unenjoyable to follow. Can we start a poll to see or does anyone have some suggestions on how to fix this?

Since 3.0 I do not wake up excited to read the play by play regardless of it being a NT or preseason game. I know I might just be viewed as a 2.0 complainer but if enough people voice this concern there should be an easy fix.
I just read the point tally at certain minute marks is all I read. I take away production more than I do actually gameplay.
10/23/2016 8:11 PM
12 Next ▸
New Play by Play Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.