Tips for new players Topic

Since a lot of players seem to be joining right now, I thought it would be good to have a thread where experienced players could provide some tips for the new players, on how to be successful. I'll start by saying you want to try to recruit players that are athletic and have good defensive abilities. It would have been nice for me, when I was new, to have a thread like this.

I AM COPYING AND PASTING SUGGESTIONS BELOW - THESE ARE NOT REALLY IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE:

If you have not yet read the guide that Benis and I put together, this is a great place to start. HERE is a link to it.

1. (this is actually for current coaches) if you have a new coach reach out to them and make sure they can find the forums.

2. Recruiting players that have or will reach good Athleticism and defense is really important. Don't worry about overall rating, but look at cores and what players could potentially reach (2a recruit based on potential): I'd still go with the guideline that cores should at least get close to 60, but may not be possible for all cores to be 60 at D3, may have to take some flawed players.
PG: Ath, Speed, Def, Per (optional) BH, Pass
SG: Ath Speed Def LP/Per, Bh Pass FT if LP is high
SF: Same as SG (Others would disagree, but I find 3 guard line-ups much preferable to three bigs)
PF/C Ath, Reb, SB (kind of) Reb, LP (optional, can win with no scoring big)
If pressing or running fastbreak Stamina is important also.

3. In most cases, redshirt your best recruit each year and don't tell him during recruiting you're going to do it.

4. Put together a team. If one guard can't defend, try to make sure the other can. Same with scoring etc.

5. Schedule 10 wins for your second season. Play young sims at home if need be, but get wins to start. As you and your team gets better, start to branch out to playing sims with lots of Srs and other human opponents.

6. Don't rush to D2. Learn the game at D3 and move up only after having some success. (chapelhillne thoughts are that D2 and D3 are fairly similar but I'd still do a couple of seasons at least in D3. D1 is much more challenging)

7. (this should probably be further up the list) Take a team that was human coached and has human recruits. MOST of these teams will have better players than sims.

8. If you screw up your first two or three season and have a chance to move to a better D3 team, do it. It isn't cheating to change jobs to have success. Just make sure you can have success with your own players before moving up.

9. Don't use the optimize button. For depth chart, play your best players according to the cores. It helps to have a scorer off the bench, but in general let the best players play until you learn the game.

10. For practice plan, try and max the cores first. If a player is red or yellow in a category, and you make his practice time in that skill 0, his ratings in that area will go down slowly, but using those minutes in a Green or Blue or even Black skill will improve much more than you lose with the 0 minutes.

11. Don't switch offenses or defenses, pick a team that runs the sets you want to play.

12. Ask questions, ask questions, and then ask more questions here on the forums.

13. Avoid low WE players (<15ish) until you can understand how to develop players. If you have a very high WE player, they will develop faster, but will stop growing once they do reach their potential. They will just get there faster.

14. Save some scouting money for the second recruiting session. About 5k seems right at D3. Be patient, and see who has fallen through the cracks. Having patience can really pay off and may give you the ability to find a couple diamonds.

15. Durability means nothing in this game.

16. Height is already factored into ratings and is purely cosmetic.

17. PiMan's formula for freshmen study hall minutes: Use 3.6 minus HS GPA times 10. For sophomores it 3.2, juniors 2.8, seniors 2.4 (instead of 3.6). At midterms if a player is below a 2.5 add a minute for every tenth below, subtract a minute for every tenth above.

18. Chapelhillne's formula for study hall minutes: If a player has a HS GPA of 2.6 give the 7 minutes. Subtract a minute for every .1 above 2.7. Add a minute for every .2 below 2.6. Always look at the grade reports and adjust. Don't give minutes to Sophomores through seniors unless their GPA gets below 2.5. I like PiMan's formula for minutes once it drops below 2.5.

19. From WVU - They number one thing I found when I started (way back in 2009) is if you are able to get in a mature Conference with Coaches that have been around a while, do not hesitate to ask questions. Better yet go to the mentor list, and find one. There are a few wise eggs and you will figure out soon enough who they are. But most of us want a better experience. That means if we make you better, we have more fun. I have found that there is nothing better then a full house (Conference filled with humans), and you make each other better.

20. Here is a worksheet by Hughes on how to figure out who is best for different positions.

21. If a player is listed at a certain position, you can have him play a different position, if you want to. For example, you might have a SG that is good at LP and Reb. He might be a very good SF for your team.

22. Look at Schedule => World Schedule at any time see where you are in the season, it tells you where you are NOW and what significant events are coming up. For today in Allen, make sure to schedule your exhibition games and you should be Scouting.
10/28/2016 9:00 AM (edited)
Chapel- Maybe we can make this a top ten list? Everyone can post one or two things that they would propose make the top ten list and then you edit your first post with a compilation?

Mine would be - avoid low WE players (<15ish) until you can understand how to develop players.
10/23/2016 4:36 PM
Save some scouting money for the second recruiting session. About 5k seems right at D3. Be patient, and see who has fallen through the cracks.
10/23/2016 5:13 PM
Yes, pkoopman. It is a possible excellent strategy. I did not save any, because I want to get on my high level guys quick. Having patience can really pay off and may give you the ability to find a couple diamonds.
10/23/2016 5:38 PM
This is great. We need to treat all new players like gold.
1. (this is actually for current coaches) if you have a new coach reach out to them and make sure they can find the forums.
2. Don't worry about overall rating, but look at cores and what players could potentially reach (2a recruit based on potential): I'd still go with the guideline that cores should at least get close to 60, but may not be possible for all cores to be 60 at D3, may have to take some flawed players.
SF: Same as SG (Others would disagree, but I find 3 guard line-ups much preferable to three bigs)
3. In most cases, redshirt your best recruit each year and don't tell him during recruiting you're going to do it.
4. Put together a team. If one guard can't defend, try to make sure the other can. Same with scoring etc.
5. Schedule 10 wins for your second season. Play young sims at home if need be, but get wins to start. As you and your team gets better, start to branch out to playing sims with lots of Srs and other human opponents.
6. Don't rush to D2. Learn the game at D3 and move up only after having some success.
7. (this should probably be further up the list) Take a team that was human coached and has human recruits. MOST of these teams will have better players than sims.
8. If you screw up your first two or three season and have a chance to move to a better D3 team, do it. It isn't cheating to change jobs to have success. Just make sure you can have success with your own players before moving up.
9. Don't use the optimize button. For depth chart, play your best players according to the cores. It helps to have a scorer off the bench, but in general let the best players play until you learn the game.
10. For practice plan, try and max the core's first. For freshmen study hall minutes, use 3.6 - HS GPA X 10. For sophomores it 3.2, juniors 2.8, seniors 2.4 (instead of 3.6). At midterms if a player is below a 2.5 add a minute for every tenth below, subtract a minute for every tenth above.
11. Don't switch offenses or defenses, pick a team that runs the sets you want to play.
12. Ask questions, ask questions, and then ask more questions here on the forums.
I have a lot more, but don't want to get too lengthy. I'll add more later if I see something major missing.
10/23/2016 10:43 PM
Posted by piman314 on 10/23/2016 10:43:00 PM (view original):
This is great. We need to treat all new players like gold.
2. Don't worry about overall rating, but look at cores and what players could potentially reach (2a recruit based on potential): I'd still go with the guideline that cores should at least get close to 60, but may not be possible for all cores to be 60 at D3, may have to take some flawed players.
6. Don't rush to D2. Learn the game at D3 and move up only after having some success.
10. For practice plan, try and max the core's first. For freshmen study hall minutes, use 3.6 - HS GPA X 10. For sophomores it 3.2, juniors 2.8, seniors 2.4 (instead of 3.6). At midterms if a player is below a 2.5 add a minute for every tenth below, subtract a minute for every tenth above.
I have a lot more, but don't want to get too lengthy. I'll add more later if I see something major missing.
Piman - I am not sure I understand your study hall formula. I usually do not give minutes to sophomores through seniors, unless they get down to like 2.3 or so.

Never mind - I am going to change the minus sign to the word minus. I understand what you are saying now.
10/23/2016 11:48 PM
Please, new coaches, read the 3.0 guide by Benis and chapel. This is by far the best thing you can read to understand the new recruiting.

If you have any questions and don't want to ask them in the forum, I would be happy to help any new coaches via sitemail.

I have provided a team compare sheet for game planning .. glad to answer any questions about it as well via sitemail.
10/26/2016 2:51 PM (edited)
Shout out to Benis--he was a MASSIVE help to me during my first season over the past few weeks. If I would have been able to reach out to him soonerI would have done a much better job recruiting initially.

Also--developing an effective player practice plan is a KEY to early team-building success as well.
10/26/2016 2:56 PM
Posted by Bbeebe17 on 10/26/2016 2:56:00 PM (view original):
Shout out to Benis--he was a MASSIVE help to me during my first season over the past few weeks. If I would have been able to reach out to him soonerI would have done a much better job recruiting initially.

Also--developing an effective player practice plan is a KEY to early team-building success as well.
+1

That Benis guy sounds pretty cool.
10/27/2016 9:26 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
They number one thing I found when I started (way back in 2009) is if you are able to get in a mature Conference with Coaches that have been around a while, do not hesitate to ask questions. Better yet go to the mentor list, and find one.

There are a few wise eggs and you will figure out soon enough who they are. But most of us want a better experience. That means if we make you better, we have more fun. I have found that there is nothing better then a full house (Conference filled with humans), and you make each other better.
10/27/2016 1:46 PM
Look at Schedule => World Schedule at any time see where you are in the season, it tells you where you are NOW and what significant events are coming up. For today in Allen, make sure to schedule your exhibition games and you should be Scouting.
10/28/2016 7:54 AM
How to copy the new Roster info into a spreadsheet: Link
10/28/2016 10:13 AM
Tips for new players Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.