I have an RP in my AAA system that I called up when rosters expanded at the end of last season (Player Profile: Jhonny Renteria - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports). It appears he is making the ML minimum of $343K this season, did his service clock already start? I was waiting to call him up until after 20 games, but I may just call him up now, if this is the case. Not sure if anyone can shed any light on this for me.

Thanks.
10/24/2016 6:17 PM
Any time on the BL roster during the regular seasons starts his clock.
10/24/2016 6:21 PM
I have no idea why you would have that player in AAA for this season in the first place.
10/25/2016 7:51 AM
I agree with hockey1984, he should be up on the ML roster.
10/25/2016 12:22 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought if I waited until 20 games, then call him up, I keep a year of control? If that's not the case, I will call him up ASAP.
10/26/2016 12:29 PM
He already has 21 days of ML service time, from last season. Once he goes over 172 days of service time, he's credited with a full year.

If you want to play the "delay arbitration" game, then you need to factor his already accrued days in. You may need to keep him down for closer to 30 games.

But if he's a guy who you think will impact your team's success this season, then you also have to figure out if the downside of keeping him OFF your ML roster for roughly 20% of the season now is worth the additional season of control 5 seasons from now.
10/26/2016 12:37 PM
First, I answered your question. So there you have it.

Second, everyone saying "Why isn't he on your BL team?" needs to recognize, in his 21 day call-up, he got 5.2 innings. How important can he be to his team's success? If you're worried about service time, hold him back 40 games. You'll lose 10ish innings.
10/26/2016 1:54 PM
I'd count that as 10 saves or 10 holds. All depends how the rest of the team looks but for a team that won 91 games and made the wild card last year, I wouldn't risk it.
10/26/2016 2:49 PM
I guess my point is that he wasn't used very much. One can only assume it's because he wasn't one of the best RP. Unless he improved dramatically or the team had a lot of turnover, he won't be used very much again.
10/26/2016 4:11 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.