Bases on recruiting grounds what are the top 10 major conference WIS teams to coach?

Weighing the history, recruiting hot areas, enemy coaches around the area, conference, etc. I'm thinking about moving up one day so just curious.

I would assume sure it would be something like Texas, USC, Penn State, Miami, Alabama, Ohio State, Temple
10/26/2016 11:45 PM
Penn State #1. then I'd say USC and Texas. For the non-elites, Temple, Rutgers, and Boston College.
10/27/2016 7:07 AM
Boston College is an elite
10/27/2016 10:52 AM
BC is not an elite in any of the "official" lists I have seen.
It is the best non-elite, in my opinion.
10/27/2016 11:14 AM
Posted by truedevil33 on 10/27/2016 10:52:00 AM (view original):
Boston College is an elite
This is false. Boston College is not one of the 14 elites.
10/27/2016 4:39 PM
IMHO, re non-elites: Washington or any of the other three pacific northwest colleges can be good if the others are empty. Same for Colorado/Air Force/Colorado State. Boston College can be very good if the Big East is not full. Cincinnati has been successful in Bryant World (I am assuming he avoids unwinnable battles with Ohio State). If you are just starting out in I-A, Navy can dominate the Sun Belt (again, by avoiding unwinnable battles).
10/27/2016 4:46 PM
Posted by tribewriter on 10/27/2016 4:46:00 PM (view original):
IMHO, re non-elites: Washington or any of the other three pacific northwest colleges can be good if the others are empty. Same for Colorado/Air Force/Colorado State. Boston College can be very good if the Big East is not full. Cincinnati has been successful in Bryant World (I am assuming he avoids unwinnable battles with Ohio State). If you are just starting out in I-A, Navy can dominate the Sun Belt (again, by avoiding unwinnable battles).
I'd toss Minnesota into the mix as well, especially if Wisconsin is empty.
10/27/2016 4:48 PM
Good question. Fairly new to Div 1A and I have wondered the same thing. I would like an Elite program but am not sure which of those jobs are better than a school like Rutgers.
10/27/2016 7:18 PM
It depends upon the coach and also the world.

Boston College is like an elite in terms of recruiting based upon it's location but it's not an elite.
Arizona/Arizona St, Missouri, UNC, Va Tech/UVA, Arkansas, Temple, Georgia, Maryland, Auburn, Baylor, Texas A&M, Louisville, Rutgers, Uconn, Minnesota, Houston, TCU, Troy State, Louisiana Lafayette, Ohio, Bowling Green, Northern Illinois, Navy, Memphis, Army, Washington are all schools you can recruit well at and have success.

Cal is another school that you can have success at if Stanford is empty or at least if you can control your 180.

The elite programs in wis are
ACC
Miami(FL), Florida St
B1G
Michigan, Ohio St, Notre Dame, Penn St
Big 12
Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska
Pac-10
USC
SEC
Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, LSU
10/28/2016 12:43 AM
Is there a recruiting advantage if you're at one of these elite schools? Meaning does WIS have some kind of formula for it? I seen UCLA open a season ago. I would assume that could be an elite school like USC is. Or another example it's crazy how Texas A&M can't be an elite school. They're in the middle of Dallas, Austin, Houston and any of East Texas. You can dip in Louisiana if you wanted to.
10/28/2016 3:21 AM
When people are saying elite, that is not just their opinion. those 15 schools definitely are programmed in WIS to have an advantage over all other schools. it is based on old outdated real life football programs back in the day. it definitely needs to be updated.
10/28/2016 5:08 AM
It's Elite based on the landscape of 2003-2004, when they first developed it. There's been many conversations about having a system where elites can change over time; that would be cool but would probably never happen.
10/28/2016 6:18 AM
Actually, if you look at the top 14 schools in wins (real life cfb), it nearly matches the 14 elites. The only one on WIS's list that I might disagree with is Notre Dame. UCLA nor Texas A&M are anywhere near elite. You can't be considered an elite program when your head coach has to interview for other jobs, just to scare you into offering his coordinators a better salary so they don't leave.
10/28/2016 9:50 AM (edited)
I always thought Law and Order(the original) was a pretty good program. And you don't even have to recruit for it.
10/28/2016 12:06 PM
Posted by AlekTx2015 on 10/28/2016 3:21:00 AM (view original):
Is there a recruiting advantage if you're at one of these elite schools? Meaning does WIS have some kind of formula for it? I seen UCLA open a season ago. I would assume that could be an elite school like USC is. Or another example it's crazy how Texas A&M can't be an elite school. They're in the middle of Dallas, Austin, Houston and any of East Texas. You can dip in Louisiana if you wanted to.
There is a built-in prestige advantage for the designated 'elites'. D1A basically has 3 levels... mid-majors, BCS, and Elite. An individual school's prestige will vary within these levels depending on recent success, so yes you can build a successful UCLA team that will have more prestige than some 'Elites' in the world. But it wouldn't have more prestige than a similarly successful elite because they still have the bonus you don't get.

Just as an example... say a schools prestige could be graded from 1 to 6

A midmajor can be a 1 to 3
A BCS can be a 2 to 5
An Elite can be a 4 to 6
10/28/2016 6:24 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.