Too many players signing in Period 1 (Crum) Topic

In Crum we are just about to wrap up the 1st Period of recruiting.

I just noticed that 80 out of the Top 100 recruits have already signed with schools. That is still with 1 more cycle left to process. I would assume the percentage is similar overall (at least among recruits that are actually being pursued).

The early entry process is already screwed up enough as is. But now it seems like way too many guys are signing in the 1st session. There are going to be barely any capable players left to even attempt to go after for those schools that have multiple EE's. I would assume most schools with 1 EE will just take a walk-on and get the funds next season to recruit with because its not even worth going after any of the few guys that might be available in the 2nd period.

There needs to be a closer % between period 1 and 2 of when recruits are signing. Closer to 50/50 but at least shouldn't be any more than 60% in period 1. What is even the point of the 2nd recruiting period if almost all the recruits (at least recruits who are playable) will have signed with schools already.

This is definitely a noticeable difference from the beta. I don't have exact numbers but there were certainly more players unsigned heading into the 2nd recruiting period. I know it still won't be easy for teams with multiple EE's to land any of these guys, but hell at least give them a chance.

I don't know if this has to do with some change they may have made but in Smith, where recruiting started earlier, there are still 49 of the Top 100 recruits unsigned heading into Period 2. Anyone have any data on this from other worlds that may be currently recruiting?
10/27/2016 6:48 PM
People were whining that not enough 'Whatever' guys were signing in the first session. Now there are. :)
10/27/2016 7:41 PM
yikes, that was a bad decision if this data is the result of that
10/27/2016 7:47 PM
They posted in critical updates that the top players will now be more likely to be late preference.
10/27/2016 8:03 PM
Posted by Benis on 10/27/2016 8:03:00 PM (view original):
They posted in critical updates that the top players will now be more likely to be late preference.
I didn't see that, which update? I saw they made preferences more intelligent regarding top recruits wanting success and strong conferences, but didn't see anything about signing period. I agree, I think moving whenever to 50/50 was a serious mistake, if the signing period preference is a straight 25/25/25/25, and probably accounts for the difference between Smith and Crum.

I have been saying this since literally the first day of beta. It should be rare to see a top 100 guy want to sign early. Most of them should be whenever or late, I'd say at least 80%.
10/27/2016 8:13 PM
Actually.. um. I think I just made that up. I so could have sworn I read that but guess not.. my bad!
10/27/2016 8:18 PM
FYI in Iba 82 of top 100 have signed. 18 are whenever pref.
10/27/2016 8:24 PM
That is ludicrous. Can't have that many guys signed in the 1st recruiting period IF you aren't going to give teams resources for EE's until the 2nd recruiting period.
10/28/2016 12:45 PM
I think they should have an even number of late and first session. It xould br 40% late , 40% early / end of turn 1, and 20% whenever.

10/28/2016 2:56 PM
Stop messing around and just get rid of EEs. So many threads dedicated to something that has an easy fix.
10/28/2016 3:39 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 10/28/2016 3:39:00 PM (view original):
Stop messing around and just get rid of EEs. So many threads dedicated to something that has an easy fix.
You don't think EEs are a major part of college basketball. You could just as easily say get rid of the NCAA tournament
10/28/2016 3:47 PM
Currently, the signing preference for all recruits is pretty evenly distributed among all four options, including top recruits. There was an issue where "Whenever" recruits weren't signing as soon as they should have but other than that there haven't been any changes. If you feel there needs to be please provide reasoning here and we'll review further.
10/28/2016 4:35 PM
50% are either Early or end of period 1.
25% are Late so they'll sign in period 2
25% are 50/50 between the period 1 and 2

So at the start of session 2, we should have approximately 62 out of top 100 signed. This is obviously much better than the 80+ we're seeing so far.

I still think that the tippy top recruits should have a greater tendency to be late signers. Just like you changed with the preferences of wants success, you can still have a few that are oddballs and will sign early but the top 25 recruits are probably going to take their time in deciding.
10/28/2016 4:59 PM
For a real life example-

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/order/true

Only 5 of the top 25 recruits are committed right now while 21 of the bottom 25 are committed. This just makes logical sense that they'll get the most attention so will take longer.
10/28/2016 5:03 PM
Posted by redhawk_514 on 10/28/2016 4:35:00 PM (view original):
Currently, the signing preference for all recruits is pretty evenly distributed among all four options, including top recruits. There was an issue where "Whenever" recruits weren't signing as soon as they should have but other than that there haven't been any changes. If you feel there needs to be please provide reasoning here and we'll review further.
This only applies to top-level recruits. I'd say only 4-5 star guys, or maybe top 100 guys. But most of them should want to wait until the last session, IMO. This goes along with the improvements you've already made to the logic of those elite recruits giving extra preference weight to very highly successful and high prestige teams. High prestige teams should be able to compete *fairly* for recruits that realistically should match their preference profile. If 80% of top 100 recruits are not even looking at teams that just had multiple early entries - likely highly successful programs that intend to extend a lot of effort when those resources are available - then those teams aren't able to compete fairly for those prospects. They should be able to "hint" their intent through offering a scholarship, and promises, through the free recruit effort options unlocked by attention. Those "hints" should be enough to get them in the game.

If they can't get in the game for most of those top level recruits, then I don't know what the 2nd session is even for.
10/28/2016 5:21 PM
12 Next ▸
Too many players signing in Period 1 (Crum) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.