Most Recent Changes Topic

Most Recent Changes
  • Set the max amount of attention points for a recruit to 80. As teams get 20 attention points per recruit this still allows plenty to invest into a recruit without giving an advantage to teams with a lot of scholarships open.
  • Improved the optimization of SimAI teams
    • Reset their Offense and Defense to the school default
    • Reset Tempo to Normal
    • Player Distribution
  • NBA Draft page - show last draft by default
  • Minor display bug fixes
10/28/2016 4:44 PM
[EDIT: Point of clarification -- 80 TOTAL, or 80 PER CYCLE? Most of what I write below is pertinent regardless of answer, but it's an important distinction to make clear]

Not sure how I like the AP cap...on the one hand I understand the concern of large classes having an advantage. On the other, it seems like this removes one of the few weapons coaches actually had to gain a clear advantage on a recruit, increasing the chances that everyone will be taking their spin on the Wheel of Fortune RNG recruiting lottery wheel.

Coaches who now lose that first spin will find it even harder to get back into the game on subsequent recruits because we're not locked in to the max amount we can offer per turn.

The inherent advantages of large classes could be overcome by simply giving each school a fixed level of resources based upon their division regardless of number of openings. You'd see the game self-correct within a matter of a few seasons as the majority of users rid themselves of superclasses.

I just hate the feeling that the whole recruiting process is being slowly tugged into a black hole of where recruiting "success" ultimately boils down to random numbers and randomly selected preferences that ultimately give some schools insurmountable amounts of advantage because everything is now capped at some level (80 APs/turn...20 HV's max...1 CV total...etc.). The only way coaches can overcome random preference matches is to out-invest coaches with better matchups for the recruit. If we're capping the top end of everything, that's an impossibility...so now what should coaches do? Settle for demonstrably inferior players because there's no quality player matches their preference portfolio?

This is starting to feel less and less like a strategy game and more and more like a lottery scratch-off ticket.
10/28/2016 6:07 PM (edited)
Pretty sure its per cycle. Don't really have a problem with that. keeps teams from getting burned (again) with all eggs in one basket.
10/28/2016 6:17 PM
Wow another restriction on how we are allowed to allocated our resources?!?! Really? I mean there is already the cap with the 20 HV's per recruit but now you guys are going to cap AP's. This is starting to get silly...let coaches choose how they want to allocate their resources.

Game is no fun when we are being told for everything what we are allowed to do (which is what these caps do essentially)
10/28/2016 6:31 PM
Per cycle. You get 20 points per recruit (plus the base) so if you're spending 80 points, it's about the value of four recruits worth. We looked at the numbers and it wasn't too common to use much more than 80. We'll review and keep an eye on it but it wasn't too fair for those with six open scholarships to be able to put all 140 points into one recruit. It was never the intention to allow that.
10/28/2016 6:43 PM
Why was it allowed if it wasn't the intention?
10/28/2016 7:09 PM
If it was rare, why did it call for a fix? And putting all your resources in one recruit is not an advantage because you still have five more recruits to get. I'm generally supportive of many of the 3.0 changes, but lotto scratch-off and (especially) preference roulette comments have some merit.
10/28/2016 7:11 PM
They just don't want there to be any strategy involved with this game anymore. It's all a toss-up now.
10/28/2016 7:51 PM
Put all the amount on one guy, get in on him early, max him out and get one of the campus visits, redistribute the extra ap?
10/29/2016 4:38 AM
I have no issue with limiting the AP per cycle to 80.
10/29/2016 5:54 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 10/29/2016 5:54:00 AM (view original):
I have no issue with limiting the AP per cycle to 80.
I have no real problem with it either. . Although I have used more than 80 on occasion .
10/29/2016 6:33 AM
Posted by redhawk_514 on 10/28/2016 6:43:00 PM (view original):
Per cycle. You get 20 points per recruit (plus the base) so if you're spending 80 points, it's about the value of four recruits worth. We looked at the numbers and it wasn't too common to use much more than 80. We'll review and keep an eye on it but it wasn't too fair for those with six open scholarships to be able to put all 140 points into one recruit. It was never the intention to allow that.
Fair? Intention? I could speculate but I will instead ask a question because the statement above makes absolutely no sense. What are you wanting to accomplish with such a change?
10/29/2016 7:12 AM
I also have no problem with the 80 AP limit.
It guards against superclass advantages. The average class has 3 openings, and 80 is the number of AP's that team would have.
10/29/2016 8:16 AM
3.0 initially didn't have a cap on home visits, then seble instituted that during the beta. Now AP are limited after the "intention" clearly wasn't to limit them in the rollout. One more example of HD going in a direction of dice rolls over strategic resource allocation.
10/29/2016 8:33 AM
Open scholarships shouldn't be an advantage in recruiting, beyond being more free to promise more starts and minutes. Recruiting strategy is still based on resource *allocation* (how you find and prioritize recruits), but no longer driven by resource stockpiles. I'd have preferred to make APs meaningless beyond unlocking recruiting actions, a hard and sharp diminishing returns. But a cap is better than nothing.
10/29/2016 9:04 AM
1|2|3...9 Next ▸
Most Recent Changes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.