Successful Hitter with Zero Power? Topic

Also if you dig deeper into player stats -> batting -> extended, it has gb/fb ratios and the 0 power guys are always absurdly skewed towards gb. Conversely, 99 power guys are absurdly skewed in the opposite direction, insinuating that the power attribute influences out-locations as well...
11/1/2016 4:37 PM
Posted by pjfoster13 on 11/1/2016 4:37:00 PM (view original):
Also if you dig deeper into player stats -> batting -> extended, it has gb/fb ratios and the 0 power guys are always absurdly skewed towards gb. Conversely, 99 power guys are absurdly skewed in the opposite direction, insinuating that the power attribute influences out-locations as well...
That's it. I was trying to remember why I had developed a wariness of low-power players. My worst first round bust (so far), the player had slightly below average hitting ratings but 70+ eye, only about 30 power. I had hoped he'd play to decent OBP but he never did. When I checked his GB/FB the only worse players were pitchers. Led me to think that whatever else a low-power player has going on, he just can't drive the ball, and maybe this is the kind of rating that might diminish every other good rating.

Not saying by any means they're useless - I just signed a free agent with 1 power - but that I think it limits how effective their "good" hitting ratings can be.

11/1/2016 4:48 PM (edited)
I haven't played this guy a ton in the ML because he is not that great. 4 career minor league home runs. 0 power. Player Profile: Willie Lopez - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
11/1/2016 6:03 PM
Posted by panolo on 11/1/2016 6:03:00 PM (view original):
I haven't played this guy a ton in the ML because he is not that great. 4 career minor league home runs. 0 power. Player Profile: Willie Lopez - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
He's a AAA All-Star, not sure why you wouldn't give him the shot he deserves.
11/1/2016 6:44 PM
Lopez would be a ++ LF who could steal a lot of bases. He'd work on a stealing team if you didn't have a better LF option.
11/1/2016 6:49 PM
I like the guy you are talking about, depending on what you give up for him. At best, he is your leadoff guy.

At worst, he is a great bench piece.
11/2/2016 9:33 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/1/2016 3:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dedelman on 11/1/2016 12:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by VictorV17 on 11/1/2016 8:52:00 AM (view original):
Remember, it's not how much power necessarily, they're just grades. His power is probably awful but it doesn't mean he won't ever hit a dinger. That would be like someone with 0 speed not having legs
Actually, in HBD guys with zero power hit zero outside-the-park homers. If you look at the play-by-play for a player with 0 power and a homer or two, those will be inside-the-park homers. It may not make sense to you but it's the way it's programmed.

In my opinion the player you're considering trading for is a not likely to be an impact player. Even taking the high end of the ranges, and assuming he switch-hits, he's going to hit about .300/.370/.350 in a neutral park, and he'll be a plus basestealer but not overwhelmingly so (35 SB in 45 tries). That plays, but it's not high-end performance, and at the low end and batting left (players with ratings like this rarely bat right) he's about .280/.350/.320 and won't help your team more than a little bit on the basepaths (think 20 steals in 28 attempts or so).
Man, if I get a CF with 85/80 range/glove with an OPS of .720 and 35 steals, I think I'm killing it.

You think he's sort of turdly. I need to play in your worlds.
That's sort of what I was thinking, but I wasn't going to say anything because I haven't been at this game that long, and haven't been particularly successful.
11/12/2016 8:39 AM
Posted by dedelman on 11/1/2016 12:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by VictorV17 on 11/1/2016 8:52:00 AM (view original):
Remember, it's not how much power necessarily, they're just grades. His power is probably awful but it doesn't mean he won't ever hit a dinger. That would be like someone with 0 speed not having legs
Actually, in HBD guys with zero power hit zero outside-the-park homers. If you look at the play-by-play for a player with 0 power and a homer or two, those will be inside-the-park homers. It may not make sense to you but it's the way it's programmed.

In my opinion the player you're considering trading for is a not likely to be an impact player. Even taking the high end of the ranges, and assuming he switch-hits, he's going to hit about .300/.370/.350 in a neutral park, and he'll be a plus basestealer but not overwhelmingly so (35 SB in 45 tries). That plays, but it's not high-end performance, and at the low end and batting left (players with ratings like this rarely bat right) he's about .280/.350/.320 and won't help your team more than a little bit on the basepaths (think 20 steals in 28 attempts or so).
Player Profile: Fausto Martinez - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

His game on 11/17 AM hits a homer in the bottom of the 1st. I don't recall ever seeing an inside the park homer in the play by play so is the wording the same? Or is this a case of the improbable rather than the impossible?
12/1/2016 11:29 PM
F.Martinez crushes a solo homer to LF.

Case of improbable. 0 doesn't mean never. Just unlikely.
12/2/2016 6:23 AM
◂ Prev 12
Successful Hitter with Zero Power? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.