D.E.A.L 4 COMMENTARY THREAD Topic

Thank you all for the comments.
11/3/2016 11:41 PM
IMO Williams is a great pick, this league has a DH so his combo of monster bat/bad D is perfect for that role. I think the only downside and that depends on strategy is that I like to platoon the DH spot based on R/L matchups but let's be honest, out of the top 50 starting pitchers there is maybe what 5-8 lefties so if you're going to use a guy every day at DH it should be a lefty, and even better if (again IMO) it's one of the top 3 lefty hitters of all time!! I guess basically I believe if you're going to use 1 guy at the DH all season then you got the best guy for the job. You can even cater to his skill set with your park selection.
11/3/2016 11:47 PM
Thank you deuce. I picked Vet Stadium. I think the rules in the sim
say it's neither, pitcher friendly, and it's neither hitter friendly. So
I assume it's right down the middle. Do I have that right, or what?
Thank you.
11/4/2016 12:21 AM
As the commish of all seasons so far, here is a brief list of reaches and steals (in MY opinion):

Steals
Pedro Martinez. His #'s are just so dominant that I think he should go in the top ten of this league every year. His fairly low innings compared to many deadballers is his biggest drawback, but he always performs better than most other pitchers.

Lou Gehrig (20), Mickey Mantle (21), Ted Williams (23), Jimmie Foxx (24). All equally stolen IMO. All four should probably be top 15, but for some rreason, always seen to slip. Musial incidentally was right in the middle of the 4, but I don't feel quite the same about him. Stan the Man should always be late 1st/early 2nd. However, there are a number of other pitchers who I always feel should go off the board after those four hitters.

Lady Baldwin. Always seems to do better in this league than it SEEMS he should do. Getting him in mid 2nd round is very good value.

Billy Hamilton. 36th overall is a very good place for Billy, who usually gets drafted later than he should and always outperforms his draft spot.

Clayton Kershaw. Amazing that he lasted to the 3rd round. If I had to do it all over again, I woulda taken Kershaw's 2016 season over Wee Willie Keeler. His .72 WHIP over 150 innings is historical!

Joe Morgan. Usually a 2nd rounder, fell to the mid 3rd. Great OBP and pop. Should be a nice value for where he went.

Joe Dimaggio. Awesome offensive numbers and awesome defensive numbers as well. B+ fielding and A+ range in CF and a .380 avg is pretty similar to a .400 avg and c fielding ratings and range, so this is a major steal.

Lou Boudreau. A SS who hits around .370 with great D ratings near the end of the 3rd round...nuff said.

Al Simmons, OF. A .380 hitter with 20+ HR and 100+ RBI early in the 4th round? GREAT value!

Reaches

Cy Young (17th). Great control but he gives up hits. Seems like there were a half dozen other SP's who were better choices at that point to me, but duece has done well with Cy in the past. May be an emotional pick more than anything.

Tris Speaker (18th). Hard to call it a reach when Speaker has traditionally done so well in this league. Thing is, he is usually a 2nd rounder, and if I were kelly1, unless you REALLY love Tris, I'd have waited to my 2nd round pick.

John Clarkson (34th). Sure he throws a TON of innings, but as I learned personally in season 2, he gets hit....hard! He started my seaon in year two of this league as my #1 starter and by game 50, I had to move him to my top long reliever. Just gets lit up like a Xmas tree. north of 49 is new in this league so you can't really blame him for not knowing. I doubt he'll draft him again after this season though

Elton Chamberlain (40th). A dominant pitcher, but with only around 150 or so innings, his numbers aren't quite what Kershaws 2016 numbers are. Could have goten him in the next round most likely.

Ron Guidry (49th). Ron is a great pitcher and that season is one of the best ever, but it just seems to me that there were a handful of other pitchers I'd rather have at that point, including Kerahaw, who was taken a few picks later. He doesn't have the IP that Guidry does but FAR better numbers. You could say the same for Koufax and Leaonard.

11/5/2016 3:41 AM
I'll give some of my thoughts on how the draft has gone down so far (bored, the wife and kids are gone)
  • Hornsby before Nap, idk I guess if you're leaning toward a HR park this is a good move but Nap's best season is heads above the rest at any other ball park.
  • My pick of Cy Young, probably a little early, but as stated in the post above, I'm partial to his 443 IP season, he always seems to win 30 games for me, and his ERA always seems to finish in the Top 25 which is what I wanted with my approach to the draft this time around. Probably should have gone with Mordecai or Hendrix maybe Gibson
  • Teddy slipping so far in a league with a DH is crazy he's a beast
  • Clarkson...ouch
  • Chamberlain, Gagne, Eck, Schupp, Snuffy, and Devine - I'm grouping them all together and calling them the "I wanted to make sure you were on my roster" list, all most likely would have lasted a round or 2 longer but when you REALLY WANT a guy you have to go get him.
  • Keeler, Schmidt, Carlton, Lincecum, Bench, and Alomar - This is my underachiever list, I totally understand why they were picked where they were but for some reason they all stick out in my mind as going to high
  • Dimaggio, Mays, Brouthers, Bagwell, Heilman, Connor, Clemens, Burkett, Cross, Pudge, and Clarke were all great picks for where they went but my Top Steal so far has to be Frank Baker, he's a + play machine at third and in the right park is a monster with the bat!! He somehow slid to the middle of the 7th round, congrats South Heat!
11/10/2016 7:43 PM
How high can that Winn season go? I was hoping to get him next round.
11/11/2016 6:32 PM
It's a weird part of the draft in these middle rounds.....all of the full time players left are more or less equal on a grand scale. But, bench/role players, which could win ya a game or three down the stretch, can out shine many of the regulars.

But it still does feel inherently weird to draft a Randy Winn type over so much other talent that's left. Weird, probably not wrong at this point.
11/11/2016 8:44 PM
He's another favorite of mine, 247 PA's usually means he starts a lot down the stretch if it's a tight race or in the playoffs if I make it that far. His skill set as a whole with the speed, A+ range, switch hitter, 2b, 3b, and HR's #'s in a park like Mile High, idk I feel like it's a perfect fit. I almost took him the round before. I've still got 2 more positions to fill but like you said bottomlee, getting a player that can single handedly win you games can be the difference in making it to the playoffs or just waiting on the next draft. I look at him similar to how I do a low inning starting pitcher that you save for lose or go home games except he gets to start 40 games.
11/12/2016 2:48 AM
I did a complete 180 this draft, in the previous 3 I've gone pitching the first 6 or so rounds if I remember correctly and it's been successful, I think I'm among the leaders in total wins over the first 3 season. I came into this draft with a game plan, I'm shooting for the 2000 runs scored mark!! lol I guess we'll see how that works out. I keep looking at the SP situation and debate on grabbing someone but they're kinda in the same spot as the position players where there is a large group of "3rd tier" players available. Finding guys who are limited in playing time but are very impactful almost seems like a smarter choice for me with where my team is at and with the current state that the player pool is in.
11/12/2016 3:11 AM
◂ Prev 12
D.E.A.L 4 COMMENTARY THREAD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.