I think they goofed with the way the fuzzy ratings Topic

Didn't even notice him. I guess he was one of those guys that no ones scouting picked up. Either that or he looked like such trash I didn't even have him on my radar.
11/17/2016 8:42 AM (edited)
Posted by Seventy_77 on 11/17/2016 7:15:00 AM (view original):
Posted by hockey1984 on 11/15/2016 7:46:00 PM (view original):
Well, it finally happened. 19th round. 600 something pick overall.

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=8302350

betted then my guy I picked 16th overall. The thing is, sure it's cool, but I don't feel a sense of outsmarting other owners into getting this guy. If I had him on my board and picked him in the sandwich or second round I would for sure.
Did he look like a 19th rd pick before you signed him? Or did he look good even before he signed?
We've been discussing these types of players for awhile. Most of them, as I recall, are drafted somewhere in the 600s.

I know in one world, I have 20 mil HS scouting, I usually see between 200-300 prospects pre-draft. In my other world, with 20 mil College, I see 500 or close to it. If these players were showing up in anyone's Top 500, you could just sort the projections and they'd pop at you. A guy with 73 projected power, 70+ vsR and VsL, ranked 430th? You'd see him.

So, IMO, something drops these players' Overall projection so low that (almost?) no one sees them, they drop right out of Top 500s. Could be low DUR, low health, incorrect position? Unless - paranoid version - WiS just plain hides these players.

Heck, hockey1984's player is currently 47 Overall. The system would maybe have to show him as projected lower than his current. And BTW, given the looks of hockey1984's player, I can tell something's off. I'm in that world and even with Zero Advance my projections for him are 45 points higher than his currents in some ratings, and that's just flat out wrong. Even after being drafted and signed, he still projects in a way I haven't seen before.

Either way, they get randomly distributed. Guys wondered in these forums for years if we could ever get an Albert Pujols here or there. This is how.
11/17/2016 10:35 AM
What I'm asking is that a lot of people may not bother sign a 19th rd pick. What made you actually want to sign him? Did he look pretty good after draft happened? Or, did he look ok but you needed a player to fill your rookie team and signed him to play a spot and after he signed he was just a whole lot better than what you had seen before and just lucked out? Reason why I'm asking this is that should we as owners sign more of these late round picks. If he didn't look great after you drafted him and you just needed to fill a spot is only reason you signed him but after signing he was so much better. Should we sign some of these late guys in hope of them being much better than what we see?
11/17/2016 10:51 AM
I do if I have money to do so. After all, what else are you going to do with it?
11/17/2016 10:56 AM
I allllllllways sign every guy from the draft. Worst thing that happens is you look at them and say 'I don't want them' and release them. I'm not going to lose sleep over 19-31K.

Just looked, I had him ranked 339.

As damag mentioned, with my HS scouting I had 217 players I could actually see, and a lot of them were COLL that I couldn't trust (0 scouting). So I guess no one saw him, which is odd.
11/17/2016 11:08 AM
Posted by hockey1984 on 11/17/2016 11:10:00 AM (view original):
I allllllllways sign every guy from the draft. Worst thing that happens is you look at them and say 'I don't want them' and release them. I'm not going to lose sleep over 19-31K.

Just looked, I had him ranked 339.

As damag mentioned, with my HS scouting I had 217 players I could actually see, and a lot of them were COLL that I couldn't trust (0 scouting). So I guess no one saw him, which is odd.
No, see, that was my point. It's not odd that no one saw him. I think what I'm seeing is that the system doesn't display these guys at all. My last five to eight picks are always "Unknown. He wasn't scouted well enough." What happens here is, someone sometimes gets a lottery ticket. Almost like a free DiTR at the door.

11/17/2016 11:22 AM
Ah. I gotcha.

Moral of the story: Sign everyone!
11/17/2016 11:29 AM
https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=7834708

Fell in my lap. I now sign everyone that I draft that's "Unknown. He Wasn't scouted well enough." I had 14M in HS scouting that season.
11/22/2016 3:41 PM
Posted by damag on 11/17/2016 10:36:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Seventy_77 on 11/17/2016 7:15:00 AM (view original):
Posted by hockey1984 on 11/15/2016 7:46:00 PM (view original):
Well, it finally happened. 19th round. 600 something pick overall.

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=8302350

betted then my guy I picked 16th overall. The thing is, sure it's cool, but I don't feel a sense of outsmarting other owners into getting this guy. If I had him on my board and picked him in the sandwich or second round I would for sure.
Did he look like a 19th rd pick before you signed him? Or did he look good even before he signed?
We've been discussing these types of players for awhile. Most of them, as I recall, are drafted somewhere in the 600s.

I know in one world, I have 20 mil HS scouting, I usually see between 200-300 prospects pre-draft. In my other world, with 20 mil College, I see 500 or close to it. If these players were showing up in anyone's Top 500, you could just sort the projections and they'd pop at you. A guy with 73 projected power, 70+ vsR and VsL, ranked 430th? You'd see him.

So, IMO, something drops these players' Overall projection so low that (almost?) no one sees them, they drop right out of Top 500s. Could be low DUR, low health, incorrect position? Unless - paranoid version - WiS just plain hides these players.

Heck, hockey1984's player is currently 47 Overall. The system would maybe have to show him as projected lower than his current. And BTW, given the looks of hockey1984's player, I can tell something's off. I'm in that world and even with Zero Advance my projections for him are 45 points higher than his currents in some ratings, and that's just flat out wrong. Even after being drafted and signed, he still projects in a way I haven't seen before.

Either way, they get randomly distributed. Guys wondered in these forums for years if we could ever get an Albert Pujols here or there. This is how.
https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=8264902 Got this guy 25th round, pick #835. He's already decent and should without question make the majors eventually. If he reaches my fuzzy projections he will be a perennial all-star.
11/26/2016 2:41 PM
That's a heck of an example, Ace. I can't think of any reason why that player wouldn't have shown up in anyone's rankings, much less lasting till pick 835, unless literally NO one in your world was scouting College players. Makes me lean toward the paranoid version, the players are just plain hidden and distributed randomly.

11/26/2016 3:10 PM
There's not evidence that it's ever happened but, perhaps, his projections were worse than his currents.
11/26/2016 3:16 PM
I will update his progress here in this thread. Ratings weren't available for this player because he wasn't scouted well enough. He was ranked 206th on my draft board I had 200 players that were scouted with 16mil for HS and 0 for college players. It will be interesting to see how he progresses.
206 Watson, Coco P L L 21 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=8264902
11/26/2016 3:52 PM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/26/2016 3:16:00 PM (view original):
There's not evidence that it's ever happened but, perhaps, his projections were worse than his currents.
That was my other thought. Can you think of a logical reason why projections might show as worse than currents? Most other players I could see things like C showing as DH, low health or durability, etc. Aside from Ace's player looking like a "probably won't sign", I can't see anything weird about him.

11/26/2016 3:57 PM
I've had some older players, 29 y/o P is the most recent, have lower projections than current. I just traded Al Hoes in Doubleday.
11/26/2016 4:25 PM
The only difference in current/projections is a 33 P5(which tells us something). His projected OVR is 73 with my limited scouting.

Player Profile: Al Hoes - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
11/26/2016 4:31 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
I think they goofed with the way the fuzzy ratings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.