Recruiting transparency Topic

I sitemail myself so i can get that communication rush while recruiting. Once in a while I even make a deal with myself; but most times I turn myself down because of the guilt I feel while colluding !x?....(shark not envelope :)
11/7/2016 2:07 PM
Posted by Nevadaman on 11/3/2016 7:09:00 PM (view original):
I agree 100% with TBill. It's irritating to lose a recruiting battle after spending a huge amount of money and not have any idea where you actually stood throughout the process. You should be able to click on a recruit and see how much money has been spent on him. I remember back years before how WIS decided to change the regular game because good players were "taking advantage of loopholes." Okay, so why give the good teams such massive, virtually insurmountable, edges in GD now? The game is fun, but players eventually drop out when they can't get anywhere. Transparency in recruiting would help everybody spend their money more wisely. At the very least, the programmers should reveal much more about how the winner of recruiting battles is determined.
"It's irritating to lose a recruiting battle after spending a huge amount of money and not have any idea where you actually stood throughout the process. You should be able to click on a recruit and see how much money has been spent on him."

If you're in a recruiting battle with another HUMAN, how is it ever fair for you to know exactly what I've spent? I mean, some simple math and you could figure out exactly how much effort and what types of effort I've put into the recruit, giving you an advantage in the battle. This would really cause problems as signing day nears and people are trying to fill their classes out. Say you landed a recruit that is closer to me and as signing day nears, I have a chunk of cash left over and am looking to find upgrades. Would it be fair if I knew exactly how much you spent on that recruit so that I can just snipe him from you in the last few cycles leading up to the signing cycle?
11/9/2016 10:55 PM
orangepace, I'm pretty sure that Nevadaman is talking about being able to see the transaction list after the signing period has ended. I don't think anybody wants to see the bidding while in progress. That would turn the process into an auction.
11/11/2016 6:31 PM
Hey, it's perfectly natural that all you big time players have risen to prominence using the current drafting system. Your recruiting strategies have served you well and you don't want them to be made accessible. It's proprietary info and I certainly respect that point of view. But I STILL would like to know if a rival's prestige level puts him in a position where two of his campus visits carries as much weight as five of mine. 15 years ago the top poker players didn't want the hole card cameras to be used because they were afraid that the other players would find out how they play. It turned out to be a groundless fear. The best players still stayed the best players. I suspect that the same situation would be applicable here. Let me say again, I have no problem continuing with the present system, however.
11/11/2016 10:15 PM (edited)
I don't think you'll ever see it, for a number of reasons.

1) There's no real evidence that WIS reads these forums.
2) There's no real evidence that WIS is doing any active development on GD in the first place.
3) WIS has always been secretive about what's going on "under the hood". What's the relative value of a Campus Visit vs a HC visit vs a AC visit? Nobody knows. What difference does the recruit's "preferred school" or "how far away preference" make? Nobody knows. How much more valuable is 50% playing time promise over a 45% playing time promise? Nobody knows? What's the percent advantage an elite school has over a BCS conference school over a Non-BCS school? Nobody knows. And WIS will never tell you.
11/11/2016 8:39 PM
Good Points Bhazlewood.
11/11/2016 8:42 PM
Yes guys, I agreed when bjshumacher opined " This conversation is not going to result in any changes, anyway." Consider my discussion in the theoretical realm.
11/11/2016 10:26 PM
Posted by bhazlewood on 11/11/2016 8:39:00 PM (view original):
I don't think you'll ever see it, for a number of reasons.

1) There's no real evidence that WIS reads these forums.
2) There's no real evidence that WIS is doing any active development on GD in the first place.
3) WIS has always been secretive about what's going on "under the hood". What's the relative value of a Campus Visit vs a HC visit vs a AC visit? Nobody knows. What difference does the recruit's "preferred school" or "how far away preference" make? Nobody knows. How much more valuable is 50% playing time promise over a 45% playing time promise? Nobody knows? What's the percent advantage an elite school has over a BCS conference school over a Non-BCS school? Nobody knows. And WIS will never tell you.
Bhazelwood,

This is exactly the questions I have when building my own recruiting engine for a sim engine, it's very hard to discern what is the best approach in terms of recruiting. To have "under the hood" hidden away, and never really show a score or points comparison like what NCAA Football from EA Sports used to do, or is it better to just show the top 3 or 5 teams the recruit is interested in and not really allow the player to dictate if they get the player, and throw the 3 teams into a hat, and pick a name, so it could create sorta like drop in an MMO.

The issue is it's hard to please everyone, what do people like? A clear indicator where you stand with the ability to invest more into it? Because in real life this really doesn't exist, but if you don't allow the player to invest more then it makes it hard to have the player feel they can control which recruits they get. It's a very challenging problem to solve.
11/11/2016 11:16 PM
Posted by TBill7 on 11/11/2016 6:31:00 PM (view original):
orangepace, I'm pretty sure that Nevadaman is talking about being able to see the transaction list after the signing period has ended. I don't think anybody wants to see the bidding while in progress. That would turn the process into an auction.
Ok, then I have no problem. That auction scenario is exactly what I was referring to.
11/11/2016 11:20 PM
For the record, TBill is correct. All my comments assumed the signing period was over. Sorry I didn't make that clear earlier.
11/12/2016 11:57 AM
Very interesting thread. I do not see any issue talking with any coach about any player and any information on that player after the class signed.
11/27/2019 5:42 PM
Understanding how the game works is key to playing the game.
11/27/2019 5:43 PM
Posted by rmancil on 11/27/2019 5:42:00 PM (view original):
Very interesting thread. I do not see any issue talking with any coach about any player and any information on that player after the class signed.
Agreed.
11/27/2019 6:07 PM
It's three calendar years since I started this thread. I now have had an elite at Oklahoma for a dozen seasons where the extent of my elite prestige edge is still clouded in mystery. My play is not going to be affected by recruiting transparency. I STILL think it would make the game more fair, though. Do we really need to tempt Missouri into spending 100k into battling me for a recruit where I have a 30?, 40?, 45? % edge? If he gets to having a 50% chance, he still could have landed 5 very good players with no risk. I'll jump off my soapbox, now.
11/28/2019 7:49 AM
I used Missouri as an example because they have an AI coach and I don't want to be accused of any underhanded influence.
11/28/2019 7:59 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...9 Next ▸
Recruiting transparency Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.