DH52 conversation pit Topic

Biggest concern has to be front court defense. Magic/Kidd Is a really fun pairing. That 05-06 season is a lot better than I remembered. You didn't kill yourself in the REB/TO department as most teams do when chasing that elusive AST% bump. Appears to be a well thought out team.
11/19/2016 12:01 AM
Why quote me if you had a concern lol! I could have deleted mine.
11/19/2016 10:56 AM
thanks for the eval LTB - I think of Bynum as a cleaner version of Zelmo: 4 points of usage at 56% 10/24 on the boards - slightly better defense, much better TOV and PF situation - I actually wanted Boozer to really go all in on boards and may play around with starting Nater in some situations
11/19/2016 11:49 AM
Posted by copernicus on 11/19/2016 11:49:00 AM (view original):
thanks for the eval LTB - I think of Bynum as a cleaner version of Zelmo: 4 points of usage at 56% 10/24 on the boards - slightly better defense, much better TOV and PF situation - I actually wanted Boozer to really go all in on boards and may play around with starting Nater in some situations
Looking at Bynum's 11-12 season, I see a lot more to like than I realized. Not a monster rebounder, but not bad, and having Faried at SF helps shore up that department. Mainly I'm struck by how clean his game is. His 07-08 season used to be my favorite way to back up the center position, but he rarely falls through to the sixth round these days.
11/19/2016 2:31 PM
Posted by beachhouse on 11/19/2016 10:56:00 AM (view original):
Why quote me if you had a concern lol! I could have deleted mine.
Because I don't think
11/19/2016 4:09 PM
I was hoping for Anthony Davis, Boozer and Bynum for my frontcourt. Chairman Yao for Bynum will have to do. Missing out on Bynum in the 5th improved my backcourt.
11/19/2016 5:50 PM
A few more unofficial evals... (The first 12 are on page 9.)

13. jt7king - Chris Paul, Alonzo Mourning, Shawn Kemp, Larry Nance, Kris Humphries, Jeff Teague, Kyle Korver

dh already gave this squad a good look. Paul’s most expensive season is my favorite of his, with higher usg% and FTAs, but I’m guessing jt is going with 14-15 which would certainly be legit. Vicious defense with Mourning, Kemp and Nance. Lighter rebounding across that front line than I would like, but the addition of Humphries helps a lot with that presuming the right season is used. Teague and Korver bring the 3s that will be needed to keep defenses from huddling around Alonzo and the Man-Child. A very well-constructed team that we should expect to see in the playoffs.

14. slymonium - Charles Barkley, Ben Wallace, Clyde Drexler, Jose Calderon, Andrew Bogut, Paul Millsap, Jamaal Tinsley

This team is hard for me to assess, mainly because there are different ways to go with Bogut. Lower minutes but a pretty complete package, or higher minutes but noticeably less of the good stuff, including defense. I’m guessing sly goes with the former since usage will be needed, given the presence of Big Ben and Calderon. Drexler doesn’t bring as much in the sim as he did in real life, in part because his better seasons have mediocre efg% and no perimeter game. Millsap and Tinsley are fixtures as supersubs. This is another nicely engineered squad, but for some reason I’m not feeling it. Maybe low on FTAs? Should be a good bet for the playoffs, but may not make a lot of noise there.

15. vancem - Dwyane Wade, Chauncey Billups, Buck Williams, Tree Rollins, Arvydas Sabonis, Cedric Maxwell, Michael Redd

I struck out the one time I used Wade in this league, but he’s led teams to titles here before and I’ll bet vancem is one of the owners who can build around him. Overall, I really like this team. Chauncey will shoot you out of some games and doesn’t seem to get the bump the sim used to give him, but he still brings a nearly unique combination of FTAs, 3s, defense, assists, and virtually no mistakes. Gotta love him. Wade is a wrecking crew on offense, and I think it’s smart not to position him as the starting unit’s primary playmaker. The big man trio of Buck, Tree and Arvydas is solid, bringing a little of everything between them (although it’s a bit of a usage mismatch to have Arvydas subbing for Rollins. Leaving the SF spot until the sixth round, vancem needed a guy who can rebound and help boost the team’s shooting efficiency. And voila! A gift in the form of Maxwell, who used to be a fixture a couple rounds earlier in this league. I’m not really feeling Redd at this cap level since he doesn’t do much other than shoot, but I can see his 02-03 season taking all the bench backcourt minutes, with Wade sliding over to PG when Billups sits. I could see this crew reaching the conference finals.

16. dh555 - Kevin Durant, Steve Nash, Rudy Gobert, Tyson Chandler, Kobe Bryant, Jameer Nelson, Samuel Dalembert

A tad high on usage, but it may be a worthy experiment to see what kind of havoc Durant, Nash and Kobe can wreak together. Jameer is pretty much the perfect backup for Nash and Gobert, Chandler and Dalembert give you three guys who do virtually nothing but grab rebounds and play pretty good defense. (And unlike some bigs who fit that description, none of them is a mistake bomb on the court. I winced at the Kobe pick a the time, but the more I think about it the more I suspect the gamble could pay off. If enough usage is sprinkled across the 2 and 3 positions on the bench, this team just might – maybe – contend.

17. beachhouse - Jason Kidd, Magic Johnson, Charlie Ward, Bismack Biyombo, Reggie Evans, Cedric Ceballos, Connie Hawkins

This one is a stumper. Solid assists, to be sure, but not nearly enough for the magic efg% bump and this seems waaay high for Ward, even if he were slotted to start. I get the appeal of Magic in the second round, but the rationale behind this first trio eludes me when I realize that either Kidd or Magic could have been joined by, say, Big Ben and Ewing, or Mourning and Frazier. Biyombo and Evans are a nice pairing for board hogs who don’t need the ball on offense, but they both feel like reaches given who else was available. Hawkins fits pretty well as a starting SF, and I’m inferring that Dirk is the starting PF. He’s a nice find outside the draft, but he’s definitely one of those players who’s much more of a legit sensation in real life than in this sim. He’s doesn’t bring the rebounds I tend to look for in a PF (I mean, have you seen his oreb%) and his efficiency isn’t anything special. He does bring some of the FTAs this team desperately needs. So, I’m wrong about a lot in this sim, but I’ll be surprised if this collection of passers and rebounders gets near the playoffs.

18. longtallbrad - Tim Duncan, Scottie Pippen, Gerald Wallace, Derek Harper, Willis Reed, Anderson Varejao, Cole Aldrich

This is maybe my third try with Duncan in this league, and I have yet to do well with him but this is also the most conventional team I’m put around him. (I think Ginobili was my SG the first time out.) I’ve long wanted to try using Pippen, especially on a defensive team, and Crash is sort of my new Billups…he keeps falling to me and I can’t resist him. I’m surprised more owners aren’t high on Wallace, since the only other SFs in the sim with 20 dreb%, 50 efg%, 90D and 400 FTA are named Garnett and Bird (with one season each). Throw in his 3s and he’s basically Bird’s 84-85 season with lower usage. Harper is solid at PG, although I’d prefer more assists, and Reed was a gift in the fifth round. Varejao and Aldrich were arguably reaches near the top of the sixth given their low minutes, but they shore up the rebounding department nicely without causing problems elsewhere and I ended up being happy with what fell through the draft to round out my bench. This is indeed sort of a typical dh52 team for me these days: solid on the boards and on D, plenty of FTAs and just enough 3s, unremarkable efficiency and too many fouls.
11/21/2016 7:42 PM
Ward went 80th in the 4th, I traded my 2nd and 3rd to move up. Hindsight there were better options there, but I like his efficiency. I think my team will shock people. I spent a lot post draft.

I am interested to see if anyone has more ftm/fta than me.
11/21/2016 8:39 PM (edited)
Posted by beachhouse on 11/21/2016 8:39:00 PM (view original):
Ward went 80th in the 4th, I traded my 2nd and 3rd to move up. Hindsight there were better options there, but I like his efficiency. I think my team will shock people. I spent a lot post draft.

I stand corrected on your team's FTAs. You did indeed draft a wagonload of them. Your guys will be interesting to watch. Also Ward's position in the draft. I still think he was odd choice, but that opinion means little and is reduced to worthless if your squad does well.
11/22/2016 9:59 AM
19. bds9992 - Bob McAdoo, Hakeem Olajuwon, Ray Allen, Bobby Jones, George Hill, Don Buse, David Lee

It does seem a tad early for McAdoo, but reality gets warped and takes many forms as you near the turn. In another draft, Hakeem would go hear and McAdoo would be available to the same owner in the second round. Team building at this cap level is a combination of strategy, taste and luck. And McAdoo’s pretty good. In fact, I might say he’s a rich man’s version of Towns. J This starting five seems a bit heavy on usage. Allen is great and shouldn’t fall to the fifth like he sometimes does. But given that McAdoo and Olajuwon will take a lot of their shots from midrange, I might have gone for a SG with better defense at the expense of some of those 3s since there’s not much need to spread the floor. Jones brings great efficiency and defense, and Hill has emerged as part of a crop of late-round PGs who will score, pop some 3s, pass just enough, and play middling defense. Not sure about Buse here, since his best season brings way too many minutes for him to platoon with Hill and Allen. Crystal ball says no playoffs, although there’s enough firepower to win any given game.

20. jkaye24 - John Stockton, DeAndre Jordan, Patrick Ewing, Horace Grant, Carmelo Anthony, Enes Kanter, J.R. Smith

Always feels squirrely to get through the first two rounds without drafting any usage to speak of, but the combination of Ewing and Anthony solve that problem nicely. And the presence of Stockton means you don’t need many assists at SG, which means Anthony can man that position, which in turn supplies bonus rebounds which helps compensate for Ewing’s only significant shortcoming. The front line is skewed toward the paint, so Smith is a smart choice to help space the attack. Carmelo’s efficiency is a bit weak, but everyone else’s is terrific. The more I look at this team, the more I like it. A smart engineering job. Stockton-led teams don’t tend to make much noise in the postseason, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this one did.

21. pennsylvania - Artis Gilmore, Oscar Robertson, Brent Barry, Mel Daniels, Alex English, Greg Oden, J.J. Redick

Nice offensive balance, good rebounding overall, and an emphasis on efficiency which I expect from pennsylvania. No matadors, but seems a little subpar on defense overall and that front line will rack up a lot of fouls. My hunch is this team needs English to be an offensive monster in order to sniff the playoffs, which on the other hand could mean increasing another risk by using the English that doesn’t bother to defend very much. penn’s teams have surprised me enough that I’ve stopped being surprised, but I’m guessing high lottery for this bunch.

22. maglor1 - Kevin Garnett, Kevin McHale, Jerry West, Walt Frazier, Eric Bledsoe, Mark Eaton, Jimmy Butler

I’m seeing Eaton at C and Bledsoe probably backing up both guard spots. Not excited about Butler here. [Undrafted player] would have been helpful backing up Eaton. A little lighter on the boards than I’d like. Still, great defense and not a lot of mistakes (that is, looks fairly low on TOs and PFs), and I like the old school approach in the backcourt with West and Frazier. Garnett doesn’t seem to carry teams far in this league, so I don’t want to like this team…and yet I do.

23. amerk1180 - Anfernee Hardaway, Draymond Green, Joakim Noah, Andrei Kirilenko, Robert Parish, Roy Tarpley, Kirk Hinrich

Now this is interesting. Penny does it all except his assists are a tad low for a starting PG. Green obliterates that problem, and Noah’s passing is gravy. I like Kirilenko at SG here, where he brings some extra boards to offset Noah’s humdrum dreb%, but Andrei could also spread out across multiple positions if Hinrich is playing starter’s minutes. And Tarpley is pretty much never a bad idea, his propensity for fouling notwithstanding. This is another solid defensive team, with no glaring gaps except maybe a need for more FTAs. I wouldn’t want to face them in the playoffs, but I’m also not seeing the go-to player, the stud who takes over games offensively and carries the team forward when others’ shots aren’t falling. Likely a bubble team.

24. banditone - Shawn Marion, Karl-Anthony Towns, Mo Cheeks, Paul Westphal, Dominique Wilkins, Leandro Barbosa, Chris Gatling

This team looks light on free throws and rebounds (especially offensive boards), leading to a possession imbalance and an owner wondering why his team is doing as well as their offensive firepower suggests they should. I would pretty much never use Marion at PF in this league. Yes, Towns was at least a round early, if not more. Nice to see Westphal chosen. He’s too often overlooked in this league. And Wilkins’ best season is sort of a poor man’s version of Carmelo’s best…slightly fewer rebounds and 3s, but does a lot for you and makes very few mistakes. Really not a bad find. Gatling is a great backup for Towns. Barbosa is unremarkable but fine, given that similar players with higher usage or better defense were available. I will suggest again: learning how to read and use the advanced stats is pretty essential to success in this league (and in the sim generally). I’ll project a lottery finish this time around.
11/22/2016 10:48 AM
Posted by longtallbrad on 11/22/2016 9:59:00 AM (view original):
Posted by beachhouse on 11/21/2016 8:39:00 PM (view original):

I stand corrected on your team's FTAs. You did indeed draft a wagonload of them. Your guys will be interesting to watch. Also Ward's position in the draft. I still think he was odd choice, but that opinion means little and is reduced to worthless if your squad does well.
I probably should have drafted Calderon, but we'll see. It'll either be a great season and free throws will carry me, or I'll get smoked on the glass.
11/22/2016 11:57 AM
thanks for having my back on the evals ltb...great stuff
11/22/2016 8:49 PM
Was there division drafts?
11/22/2016 9:08 PM
Posted by dh555 on 11/22/2016 8:49:00 PM (view original):
thanks for having my back on the evals ltb...great stuff
My pleasure, hoss. I'd still love to read more from your golden pen, but I can understand that life gets in the way sometimes.
11/22/2016 9:48 PM
Posted by jt7king on 11/22/2016 9:08:00 PM (view original):
Was there division drafts?
Yeah, they're in the other thread
11/22/2016 10:43 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10
DH52 conversation pit Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.