Anyone else think we're two, maybe three, dynamic pricing cycles away from homeruns being a viable strategy at 80-100M (if not even a little higher) open style leagues?
11/5/2016 12:20 AM
I agree. As the deadball pitchers become more expensive, post-1919 pitchers will become more viable options. When the sim first started, strong offenses could be built around power and most pitching staffs didn't have primarily deadball pitchers.

Three cycles of dynamic pricing have altered strategy at the highest cap levels. A core 9-man lineup that would be strong at a $255M cap now costs $144M to draft. As there are more dynamic pricing changes, that impact will filter down to lower caps.
11/5/2016 8:26 AM
And will WIS/Fox at long last get their act together, do whatever code/system conversions they need to do, and finally fix deadball era pitchers so they don't have magical powers?
11/6/2016 8:32 AM (edited)
Another point about this:

When we get to the stage ozo' has described, SLB will become even more offensively skewed and the culprit will be even more shown to be WIS' artificially boosting batting as they described years ago, by "ten percent."

That is, unless WIS intervenes and starts improving their coding again.

#doomandgloom
11/6/2016 2:30 PM
For just an anecdotal illustration, coincidentally, I threw a team into an Open League with the Cubs' 2016 starting rotation. There, in five innings pitched, Jason Hammel just gave up six home runs (four in the second inning - game).

#SLBapocalypse #theendisnear ;-`
11/6/2016 2:44 PM (edited)
But Oze, after looking it over further, there are so many dead-ball pitchers and so many whose salaries have stayed basically the same, that I don't think market-based salaries are going to have a great impact for any foreseeable future.

And the future of SLB is very unforseeable, if they don't make improvements to their logic. There is no getting around the fact that WIS has a deep-seated Magic Deadball Pitcher flaw.
11/28/2016 1:00 PM
there is really no way you can realistically use the deadball era...it was a different game.....lesser equipment... and of course.no way to seperate pitchers on home run potential.....it is fun but but cant really compare or normalize....how about pitching speeds...obviously slower...had to be...how could they pitch 800 innings in a season.
11/28/2016 1:32 PM
Until strikeouts matter, or deadballers somehow give up way more HRs, deadballers will always be the way to go. Either of those requires a major code change.

There are just too many deadballers... I think people will just move on to different ones if the old standbys get too expensive.
11/29/2016 9:22 AM
It appears to me the engine is broken - HRs and offense in general just seems way out of whack. It appears to have more randomness as well, in terms of players with considerably better metrics across the board are too often playing terribly as compared to far lesser statistical players...

just seems pitching is out of whack, and offense is way overemphasized.

When was the last time there was any update to the engine itself of significant... between this imbalance and the just terrible job this site does with the utter lack of SimLive capabilities on any machine built after 2010 I hate to say it, but a decade or so playing here may about to come to an end. Engine out of balance, no Live (one of the primary reason I and many others loved this site) and no real communication from the ownership to boot. 
11/30/2016 1:15 PM
Lots of variables in open leagues, period. There are usually enough mediocre teams out there to win with a power hitting team. It was being done prior to dynamic pricing. But yes, the code is written to favor deadball pitching, intentionally or otherwise. When facing modern hitters, they should be surrendering at least a moderate amount of homers, and more XBH.
11/30/2016 10:30 PM
Seems like an easy fix to me, but I'm not that smart. Make XBH allowed based on ERA#, which I think it already is, then determine the type of extra base hit based off of park metric and batter real life 2b, 3b, and HR# numbers. Forget homerun allowed numbers altogether. Is this too simple/dumb to work?
12/4/2016 1:20 PM
you guys are way past me in my understanding of stats...im not being humble when i say that...this could be stupid but if they gave all deadball pitchers an automatic .5 home runs per 9 innings and then applied their pitching stats to that number to bring it up or down maybe that could make it more realistic...the designated number could be different then .5.
but that number would only be to normalize against hitters after 1920...you wouldnt want that in deadball era games.
12/4/2016 2:23 PM (edited)

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.