40-man roster adds Topic

A pet peeve of mine: Owners burning option years of prospects by prematurely adding guys to the 40-man roster.

You don't need to add prospects to your 40-man until one of two scenarios:

1) They have at least 4 years of experience and are potentially exposed to the Rule 5 draft (you will see the little Rule 5 icon next to his name). This really only affects you in the preseason.

2) They are called up to the majors.

Doing this earlier often burns the three options (one option is good for a full season).

End of mini-rant.
11/6/2016 5:39 PM
Why does that bother you? I just checked my two teams I've had since S1. I have 17 and 18 players with two options left on my BL teams.

Essentially, good players might burn 1 option(late call-up). The rest are borderline guys who might bounce up/down to the BL team.
11/6/2016 6:02 PM
The part that bothers me is when all three options get burned on good players before they reach majors. This comes from owners prematurely putting guys on the 40-man.
11/6/2016 6:48 PM
But how does that hurt you?
11/6/2016 6:51 PM
It has hurt me in teams I have taken over. Also, if a younger player has no options and hasn't made majors yet but is worth trading for, I would be hesitant to deal for him as he has to go on your big-league roster (unless you put him through waivers). Plus, I just don't think enough newer owners don't know the ins and outs of what the 40-man stands for. Not everyone is as smart as you. Lol.
11/7/2016 1:15 AM
Yeah, I'm not seeing the problem. I'd be a lot more ****** about taking over a team and losing guys because they weren't put on the 40. And, if I want to trade for a guy, I don't care about options. He plays where he has to play or I decline to acquire him.
11/7/2016 6:37 AM
To illustrate Mike's point, I took over a team awhile ago that lost its best prospect in R5 because the previous owner had an emergency the day before roster freeze.
Also like one other owner told me, if a player's option status is going to determine whether he belongs in the bigs or not, maybe he just doesn't belong in the bigs.

11/7/2016 8:24 AM
40-man roster adds Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.