the problem I had w/ the Beta is there were WAY too many coaches in there who were under-qualified to assist w/ the Beta. guys like Spud who have no clue what college basketball is really like, several rookies how didn't understand HD enough yet to contribute, and a few malcontents who undermined some of the process. i went in with high hopes and spent countless hours identifying and working on bugs during the first season, less time during the 2nd, and no time during the 3rd. i was completely heartbroken by the end as i saw a few minor improvements and more than a few major problems, and things like hiringing logic and freshman game talent completely ignored. seble is probably a nice guy, but he did HD no favors with the 3.0.

Chapelhillne is an example of one of the good guys in HD who worked hard to figure out the new system and is doing a good job with it while helping others w/ their questions. New dudes should watch him and read his posts.
11/15/2016 6:31 PM
I'm really interested in seeing how many first time Coaches remain after their initial season ends... hopefully someone keeps an eye on it and posts some numbers.

I'm enjoying 3.0, mostly because I stayed in the beta and gave the game a chance. It's not perfect, and it's not 2.0, but it's a game most of us love to play. My experience with the update has been exclusively D3, but I'm about to take over one of my dream D1 jobs so I'll have some experience. No EE's, through, and it will be interesting to see how long I can make them consistently mediocre.
11/15/2016 6:31 PM
I've already posted this in other threads but I'm still of the belief that the bigger issue is not long time coaches leaving but retaining new coaches. So when I see that we went from 60 coaches to 123 and then back to 60 in Phelan, that makes me think that they still haven't cracked the new coach retention issue. And Shoe may be right that retention might be better in 1x worlds, we will see very soon how it goes.

I also think the free seasons is just a terrible way to do this. If you give someone something for free they won't give 2 sh*ts about it. But pay 5 bucks and maybe they'll be more willing to give it a legitimate shot since they invested some money in it (even though 5 bucks is barely anything).

Discounted seasons is a good idea. Give them a discount for first season and another discount if they renew. Or give them a discount to sign up for a team in one world and then give them a free season in another world.
11/15/2016 6:32 PM
Posted by gigrant on 11/15/2016 6:31:00 PM (view original):
the problem I had w/ the Beta is there were WAY too many coaches in there who were under-qualified to assist w/ the Beta. guys like Spud who have no clue what college basketball is really like, several rookies how didn't understand HD enough yet to contribute, and a few malcontents who undermined some of the process. i went in with high hopes and spent countless hours identifying and working on bugs during the first season, less time during the 2nd, and no time during the 3rd. i was completely heartbroken by the end as i saw a few minor improvements and more than a few major problems, and things like hiringing logic and freshman game talent completely ignored. seble is probably a nice guy, but he did HD no favors with the 3.0.

Chapelhillne is an example of one of the good guys in HD who worked hard to figure out the new system and is doing a good job with it while helping others w/ their questions. New dudes should watch him and read his posts.
+1
Chapel is great.
11/15/2016 6:33 PM
Posted by Benis on 11/15/2016 6:32:00 PM (view original):
I've already posted this in other threads but I'm still of the belief that the bigger issue is not long time coaches leaving but retaining new coaches. So when I see that we went from 60 coaches to 123 and then back to 60 in Phelan, that makes me think that they still haven't cracked the new coach retention issue. And Shoe may be right that retention might be better in 1x worlds, we will see very soon how it goes.

I also think the free seasons is just a terrible way to do this. If you give someone something for free they won't give 2 sh*ts about it. But pay 5 bucks and maybe they'll be more willing to give it a legitimate shot since they invested some money in it (even though 5 bucks is barely anything).

Discounted seasons is a good idea. Give them a discount for first season and another discount if they renew. Or give them a discount to sign up for a team in one world and then give them a free season in another world.
Great idea Benis
11/15/2016 6:39 PM
We discuss the price of HBD all the time. It's a little different because, if a coach says "Screw it" three weeks in, you have to replace him or his soon to be depleted team will affect playoff races.

5 bucks isn't enough to maintain interest if you're not interested. If you buy a $30 steak, you want it cooked right. If you buy a $5 Happy Meal from McD's, you toss it and go to Hardee's(where, I've heard, they have the meats). I think the promo cost was $4.95. Didn't interest me. Gave me a free team and I gave it a try. If I like it, $13 is fine. I'd take a discount but, if I decided I didn't like it in S2, I'd take far less interest whether it was discounted or full-price. $13 shouldn't break anyone playing sim games on the internet.
11/15/2016 6:39 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/15/2016 6:40:00 PM (view original):
We discuss the price of HBD all the time. It's a little different because, if a coach says "Screw it" three weeks in, you have to replace him or his soon to be depleted team will affect playoff races.

5 bucks isn't enough to maintain interest if you're not interested. If you buy a $30 steak, you want it cooked right. If you buy a $5 Happy Meal from McD's, you toss it and go to Hardee's(where, I've heard, they have the meats). I think the promo cost was $4.95. Didn't interest me. Gave me a free team and I gave it a try. If I like it, $13 is fine. I'd take a discount but, if I decided I didn't like it in S2, I'd take far less interest whether it was discounted or full-price. $13 shouldn't break anyone playing sim games on the internet.
This^
11/15/2016 6:43 PM

Nitpick: Arby's has the meats.
11/15/2016 6:44 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/15/2016 6:02:00 PM (view original):
1) A lot of times it's the presentation and wording. I don't know what went down in beta, who participated or the general tone of the concerns.

2) Personally, I would care less if someone acknowledged their role in creating an advantage that elite D1 schools enjoyed. It sounds like his intention was to fix that and it sounds like that's what all the complaining is about.

3) As someone coming from HBD, I don't think there's enough to do in HD. I n00b blasted thru my scouting money in a couple of days. It certainly didn't feel time consuming to me. I'll find out what I think of recruiting soon enough. It's why I quit 10 years ago.

4) I don't disagree about WifS and updates. However, from what I gather, it's about a group of elite schools always getting the best players and no one else having a real shot at them. While that may be the reality of CBB, it's terrible for a sim game if you're not a user at that elite school. And, excuse me if I'm wrong, those are the users who are complaining and/or leaving.

This is right!
11/15/2016 6:44 PM
Posted by hypnotoad on 11/15/2016 6:44:00 PM (view original):

Nooooo, Scott Van Pelt has the meats!
11/15/2016 6:49 PM
Posted by hypnotoad on 11/15/2016 6:44:00 PM (view original):

Hardee's has the cheesecake.
11/15/2016 6:50 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 11/15/2016 4:27:00 PM (view original):
Also, for context:
- I've never had an Early Entry (EE).
- Zorzii has also never had an EE.
- kcsundevil has no teams in HD anymore.
For context, I have a couple free seasons in credit expiring soon and am trying to decide whether to use them. I don't want to sign up then instantly abandon a team, that doesn't help anyone.
11/15/2016 6:52 PM
Dammit! My witty addition is factually incorrect.
11/15/2016 6:53 PM

I dunno, but maybe you're a little different than other new coaches. You already play HBD and have played HD a long time ago. You kinda know what this game is about. There are other SIM type games out there that aren't really any good, I've signed up for some of them and didn't even give them a chance because they were free and I forgot about it, TBH.

When they did the huge free advertisement back in the Spring and the population tripled, I was pumped. Then I noticed that 4 coaches in my conferences didn't even recruit. That's literally the first thing you did in 2.0! And they didn't even recruit! Which means that they saw it was free, signed up, poked around for a few minutes before the season started and then didn't log on again. If it costs SOMETHING, I think most people will actually log on and check it out a few times before giving up. They'll at least have enough interest to pay for it instead of just signing up while dropping a deuce on their lunch break.
11/15/2016 7:05 PM
It's hard to disagree with that. I'm just saying the promo code was $4.95 and I didn't sign up. I saw it and thought "Yeah, I gave that up 10 years ago because I didn't like it." They gave me a credit with a "It's new!!!!" follow-up.

I can easily envision the scenario of someone who's never played a sim game taking a dump, seeing "Free!!", signing up and losing interest before he exits the room. But I assume the hope is "If 5% stay, we've accomplished something. And maybe they check out our other games." It works better in HD because a "dead" team isn't as problematic as it is in HBD.
11/15/2016 7:16 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...21 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.