Does 2nd Base and SS Range effect CS% Topic

Anyone know?
11/15/2016 5:33 PM
I don't think it would
11/15/2016 7:04 PM
Just saying, the ability to get cover the base and make the tag is important in RL.
11/15/2016 9:44 PM
I don't think we've ever been informed that it does. However IIRC, left-handed pitchers have a slightly better chance of picking off runners. Don't know about effects on steals directly for them, either.
11/15/2016 10:42 PM
How often in RL do you see throws sailing into CF simply because no one was at the bag to receive it? It doesn't really happen - guys position themselves in a place where they know they can get to the bag in time.

Glove is another story. I'd argue a guy with a good glove could garner a couple extra CS for his catcher, snagging bad throws, or having really good instincts with tags.
11/17/2016 5:30 PM
JTPops - yeah that scenario is on the catcher 90% of the time i figure. I was wondering more how a SS/2nd baseman's fielding and/or range would effect cs%. Whether it be range or fielding, the talent in the field of the 2nd baseman or SS def affects catcher cspt. Se less of preventing balls into the outfield, but more the ability to place and sell a tag, to crowd out the base from the slide etc. Maybe you are right this is more fielding than range. Either way does it play a factor in the algorithm?

The reason I ask is I am drafting a team for a league that will likely have lots of speed. Want to defend against it. It is a pitcher friendly theme league, so there will be few balls in play. So other than an A++ catchers arm, I wouldn't draft much defense in general with so few balls in play, but if I can shut down the run game with top fielders to complement a great defensive catcher, I would do it.
11/18/2016 5:29 PM (edited)
I don't believe we've ever had a conversation in the forums regarding a fielder's range impacting SB/CS by a runner. I think it's been narrowed down to the runner's RL success percentage factored by the catcher's arm (and base running speed has little to nothing to do with the success). that's what I understand and act on.
11/18/2016 6:48 PM
I wonder if it matters, I'll try to experiment and let you all know in a few months i guess, Let me know any insights
11/18/2016 10:12 PM
Ditto! I'm with redwingscup on this. The only things that truly matter with regard to whether a stolen base attempt is successful or not is the runner's RL success rate and the catcher's RL thrown out percentage.
11/24/2016 2:10 PM
Does 2nd Base and SS Range effect CS% Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.