8.5 years and 31 season taken away Topic

Here is a fun story. I have been in Doubleday since the beginning (since 2006) and the world is taking forever to fill. My team is reserved and I am happily waiting for the email to say that the world has rolled - I know these things can take some time so I am not checking the site.

I login a few days ago to see how many teams are left to fill and my team is no longer available, someone else has it and there is only one team to fill in the world. I contact the guy that runs the world, he says sorry and makes my team available. I see the mail when I return from a weekend away in Germany and try to access my team. Still it is unavailable. I send a site mail and receive, "sorry your team has gone, you can take the other team that is available."

So, a world that has struggled to fill for several seasons now has just ousted the only sole survivor from when the league started in 2006, for what? To secure an owner that will stay for one or two seasons?

In a game that is struggling to keep players, this is just fantastic treatment.

I will no longer play the game - and with that the site loses another constant.
11/17/2016 4:14 AM
Something doesn't sound right here.

If your team was reserved, the only way you can be replaced would be "with cause" (i.e., you broke a world rule, or violated some sort of fair play guideline), or if it looked like you had abandoned your team by not checking in to the world for 14+ days.
11/17/2016 6:21 AM
Bingo!
11/17/2016 6:38 AM
I hadn't checked the world for 14+ days but this is in the off-season - I was waiting for the email to say that the world had rolled over. I had reserved my team before this point - and note that the world has still not filled.

Like I say, I have been playing the game for 8.5 years. No rules broken and I have been involved with the league since the very first season. It is clear that I was not abandoning my team (as I had already reserved it), especially considering when it will have a great chance of winning it all this coming season.
11/17/2016 6:44 AM
I'd say it was NOT 100% clear that you had not abandoned your team, if you had not checked it for 14+ days, even during the off-season during a prolonged rollover.

If I were the commish in this situation, I would probably reach out to the new owner of your old team and ask him to move to another open franchise so that you could have your team back. Hopefully, he'd be understanding and be willing to do that.

But you have to accept responsibility that you had brought this on yourself with your own inaction. It's not the fault of the commish, who was likely acting in good faith, and it's not the fault of WIS.
11/17/2016 7:02 AM
OK, I'm not interested in a ******* match but I was involved. So here's the story:

We were down to 1 opening(with you reserved). I contacted the commish about a week ago and said, paraphrasing, "rnce hasn't checked in since 10/14. When we roll, it will look like he checked in that day. As a commish of two worlds, I'd make WifS aware of this so they won't fight you when you ask to replace him if he doesn't check in. An owner can be replaced 5 days into the pre-season but missing those 5 days puts teams behind the 8 ball." I have no idea what wording the commish used but WifS removed you immediately.

Someone took your team, you checked in, contacted the commish and he asked the owner to move. He complied on 11/13 and the password was sent to you. Now, assuming you were in Germany over the weekend, the weekend ended on 11/13. The owner who moved took the team back yesterday. Knowing that we were at 1, where were you 11/14 thru 11/16? You know many of those owners have been waiting for over 2 months.
11/17/2016 7:08 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/17/2016 7:02:00 AM (view original):
I'd say it was NOT 100% clear that you had not abandoned your team, if you had not checked it for 14+ days, even during the off-season during a prolonged rollover.

If I were the commish in this situation, I would probably reach out to the new owner of your old team and ask him to move to another open franchise so that you could have your team back. Hopefully, he'd be understanding and be willing to do that.

But you have to accept responsibility that you had brought this on yourself with your own inaction. It's not the fault of the commish, who was likely acting in good faith, and it's not the fault of WIS.
I do not accept that I have "bought this on" myself. I have reserved my team and am used to very long rolling times. When the world is scheduled an email is sent out so I know to go back and start setting up my team. What is the reason for me to check back every day? My team is reserved, I check back when the world is ready to roll.

If I had only been in the league one or two years then fine - yet again, season one, 8.5 years, a great team, reserved my team - where exactly am I going?
11/17/2016 7:08 AM
MikeT23 11/8/2016 5:54 PM
Not to be a stick in the mud but rnce hasn't checked in since 10/16. Only team on WifS. I'd want a back-up plan if I were commish.

MikeT23 11/8/2016 6:14 PM
Well, obviously, once we fill, you hit the button. A lot of you have waited a long time. Holding back for him is probably a bad move. But I'd also have a plan to replace him on Day 5(earliest you can replace in pre-season).
MikeT23 11/8/2016 6:14 PM
I might send a ticket now, just so WifS knows he hasn't checked in since 10/16. That way they won't fight you. If you want, I'll check in my worlds for a babysitter once we roll.
11/17/2016 7:12 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/17/2016 7:08:00 AM (view original):
OK, I'm not interested in a ******* match but I was involved. So here's the story:

We were down to 1 opening(with you reserved). I contacted the commish about a week ago and said, paraphrasing, "rnce hasn't checked in since 10/14. When we roll, it will look like he checked in that day. As a commish of two worlds, I'd make WifS aware of this so they won't fight you when you ask to replace him if he doesn't check in. An owner can be replaced 5 days into the pre-season but missing those 5 days puts teams behind the 8 ball." I have no idea what wording the commish used but WifS removed you immediately.

Someone took your team, you checked in, contacted the commish and he asked the owner to move. He complied on 11/13 and the password was sent to you. Now, assuming you were in Germany over the weekend, the weekend ended on 11/13. The owner who moved took the team back yesterday. Knowing that we were at 1, where were you 11/14 thru 11/16? You know many of those owners have been waiting for over 2 months.
So you basically initiated the removal of an owner of one of the best teams in the world that has been there since season one. It makes no sense. I had reserved, there was no reason for me to check back until the season rolled.
11/17/2016 7:13 AM
Where were you Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday?
11/17/2016 7:14 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/17/2016 7:14:00 AM (view original):
Where were you Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday?
I contacted you on Wednesday - Monday and Tuesday, I had very busy days at work having been off the previous week. Plus, all of this is mute as the world has still not filled. Giving me my team - you know, the one that I reserved - would see the world roll.

I think it is wrong that the league could have rolled without me even knowing that I had lost a team that I had reserved - as I have repeatedly said, I was waiting for the email as there was nothing to check!
11/17/2016 7:18 AM
Well, first, you didn't contact me. I'm not the commish.

Second, you knew 20 owners(more or less) have been waiting for over 2 months. I get busy but I'm almost positive you had one free minute to check in on Monday to re-reserve your team. Commish approves and we're budgeting today. Did you really not have 1 minute on Monday/Tuesday?

The commish has a responsibility to 31 owners not 1. For all everyone knew, you had a bug up your butt and was just jerking everyone around with no intention of ever joining.
11/17/2016 7:25 AM
From an outsiders point of view. With all the leagues that are having trouble filling I think this would set a bad precedent to give away a team that is already reserved by a long term owner. From now on who will be loyal to a league if a commish keeps giving away guys teams. So what if the owner hadn't checked in. His spot was paid for. And he wasn't there for start of season for some reason then his team would be the worse for it. And if he hadn't logged in by the time spring training came around then you could find a replacement. Finding an owner to take a free team is a lot easier than finding a paying owner I'm sure. The point being is his spot was paid for. Just my point of view.
11/17/2016 7:27 AM
How does this make sense? Am I taking crazy pills? My team was R-E-S-E-R-V-E-D. With CASH MONEY. Something that I have been doing for EIGHT AND A HALF ******* YEARS! If you had simply left my team in my hands as it should have been, the world would have rolled quicker. Instead, your meddling has delayed the process even longer.

Any chance one of your friends has my highly competitive team?
11/17/2016 7:30 AM
Posted by Seventy_77 on 11/17/2016 7:27:00 AM (view original):
From an outsiders point of view. With all the leagues that are having trouble filling I think this would set a bad precedent to give away a team that is already reserved by a long term owner. From now on who will be loyal to a league if a commish keeps giving away guys teams. So what if the owner hadn't checked in. His spot was paid for. And he wasn't there for start of season for some reason then his team would be the worse for it. And if he hadn't logged in by the time spring training came around then you could find a replacement. Finding an owner to take a free team is a lot easier than finding a paying owner I'm sure. The point being is his spot was paid for. Just my point of view.
Hallelujah!
11/17/2016 7:33 AM
1|2|3...8 Next ▸
8.5 years and 31 season taken away Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.