Trout Hype Machine wins Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 11/22/2016 9:10:00 PM (view original):
He was universally regarded as the best player in the NBA for at least 10 years yet didn't win the MVP every year. Maybe "best" doesn't equal "Most valuable". I don't know. Has anyone claimed that?
Or, while he was the best over 10 years, other players occasionally mixed in a better single season.
11/22/2016 9:12 PM
why is the word worth used so often when defining value?
11/22/2016 9:36 PM
I found Dahs' list of definitions interesting. Did you notice that the first definition of "value" was "relative worth"? So, IOW, worth PLUS context equals value.

So a great season for a ****** team means less relative worth, ergo less value.
Or a great season for an ******* means less relative worth, ergo less value (even though Bonds was so far beyond other players, he managed to win a handful of MVPs despite being widely despised)

Or you can ignore the fact that Dahs himself posted SIX DIFFERENT definitions, meaning even the ******* dictionary doesn't have just ONE definition of "value", so we can't expect hundreds of sportswriters and millions of fans to share ONE opinion on the subject.
11/23/2016 11:41 AM
I dont hear nothing about Altuve so i have to say something.I dont see idiots out there,but i see a lot of mediocre opinions.You may not respect the media voting,but ive never heard of a media member mention "bang for their buck" in my 58 yrs.If Betts had been playing at least 4 yrs he wouldve won it.And i think Poppy should have been in the finalists-which i think a lot of others do too.Altuve being a 2nd baseman & having his 2nd great season in the last 3 deserves more respect
11/24/2016 7:18 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 11/23/2016 11:41:00 AM (view original):
I found Dahs' list of definitions interesting. Did you notice that the first definition of "value" was "relative worth"? So, IOW, worth PLUS context equals value.

So a great season for a ****** team means less relative worth, ergo less value.
Or a great season for an ******* means less relative worth, ergo less value (even though Bonds was so far beyond other players, he managed to win a handful of MVPs despite being widely despised)

Or you can ignore the fact that Dahs himself posted SIX DIFFERENT definitions, meaning even the ******* dictionary doesn't have just ONE definition of "value", so we can't expect hundreds of sportswriters and millions of fans to share ONE opinion on the subject.
Dahs has become the resident forum blowhard know-it-all.

His posts should be read with that in mind.
11/24/2016 8:32 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9
Trout Hype Machine wins Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.