Rule V Leg #54 - Draft Thread Topic

It makes most sense to move just one of the five existing AL Central clubs (CLE, DET, KCR, CHW, MIN) into the NL East (which only has 3 franchises MON/WSH, PHI, ATL) with HOU moving back into the NL Central (which is where they played prior to their arrival in the AL).

None of the AL clubs other than HOU have *any* history in playing in the NL, so I would go with the farthest east club in the Central which would be Cleveland I believe.

I guess I'm a purist at heart so moving around more teams than necessary seems foreign to me.

[Edit] Another option would be to move the Pirates back to the NL East and then move one of the AL Central clubs into the NL Central.
11/23/2016 12:15 PM (edited)
That makes sense. Any other input before I make a final decision?
11/23/2016 12:17 PM
Posted by sinfonian11 on 11/23/2016 11:44:00 AM (view original):
Alignment will be a bit funky. Here's what I propose, with the Blue Jays moving to the NL as an expansion team. Indians are the central team that's farthest east geographically, so they slide to the AL East.

NL East: Braves, Phillies, Expos/Nationals, Blue Jays
NL Central: Cubs, Cardinals, Pirates, Astros
NL West: Dodgers, Giants, Diamondbacks, Rockies
AL East: Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Indians
AL Central: Tigers, White Sox, Twins, Royals
AL West: Rangers, Mariners, Angels, Athletics

Share your thoughts on this arrangement. Meanwhile, get those keepers in. I'd like to get them posted before I have to drive this afternoon. Otherwise, I should have some time tomorrow morning.
Looks good to me.
11/23/2016 12:33 PM
Even though pg 1 sez 1969-2015, I'm going to assume that we can use 2016 too...
11/23/2016 12:39 PM
Posted by dilligafdbp on 11/23/2016 12:39:00 PM (view original):
Even though pg 1 sez 1969-2015, I'm going to assume that we can use 2016 too...
Correct. Thanks for the catch. I'll update the rules now.
11/23/2016 12:42 PM
Posted by sinfonian11 on 11/23/2016 11:44:00 AM (view original):
Alignment will be a bit funky. Here's what I propose, with the Blue Jays moving to the NL as an expansion team. Indians are the central team that's farthest east geographically, so they slide to the AL East.

NL East: Braves, Phillies, Expos/Nationals, Blue Jays
NL Central: Cubs, Cardinals, Pirates, Astros
NL West: Dodgers, Giants, Diamondbacks, Rockies
AL East: Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Indians
AL Central: Tigers, White Sox, Twins, Royals
AL West: Rangers, Mariners, Angels, Athletics

Share your thoughts on this arrangement. Meanwhile, get those keepers in. I'd like to get them posted before I have to drive this afternoon. Otherwise, I should have some time tomorrow morning.
I like it. Makes the most sense.
11/23/2016 2:14 PM
I think the rule is that the most recent expansion team moves. I would be very upset if KC got moved. I drafted them assuming I was going to play in the AL.
11/23/2016 2:16 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 11/23/2016 12:15:00 PM (view original):
It makes most sense to move just one of the five existing AL Central clubs (CLE, DET, KCR, CHW, MIN) into the NL East (which only has 3 franchises MON/WSH, PHI, ATL) with HOU moving back into the NL Central (which is where they played prior to their arrival in the AL).

None of the AL clubs other than HOU have *any* history in playing in the NL, so I would go with the farthest east club in the Central which would be Cleveland I believe.

I guess I'm a purist at heart so moving around more teams than necessary seems foreign to me.

[Edit] Another option would be to move the Pirates back to the NL East and then move one of the AL Central clubs into the NL Central.
I completely disagree with this logic. Moving an A.L. central team to the NL who has MORE American League history than Toronto just to keep Cleveland out of the AL East? The Indians used to play in the East.
11/23/2016 2:21 PM
Posted by schwarze on 11/23/2016 2:16:00 PM (view original):
I think the rule is that the most recent expansion team moves. I would be very upset if KC got moved. I drafted them assuming I was going to play in the AL.
If this was a previous understanding of how division alignment works then I'm perfectly fine with it (I was unaware that barring some type of previous NL/AL history that alignment would move expansion franchises first). Moving forward I will keep this in mind when selecting any of the "newer" franchises especially if I have some type of plan on being in a particular league.

Ultimately its sinfonian's decision on who moves/stays so I'm ok with whatever he decides (I too would be upset if the Red Sox were to be moved to the NL as I picked them obviously to be in the AL as well).

If past history was that expansion teams would be the first to move, then let's go with sinfonian's original plan then.
11/23/2016 2:55 PM
I don't care as long as I am not in the same division as rbow
11/23/2016 9:12 PM
you can't beat the Rockies?
11/23/2016 9:22 PM
Posted by rbow923 on 11/23/2016 9:22:00 PM (view original):
you can't beat the Rockies?
Well tridentric still doesn't have the record for the Tigers...
11/23/2016 9:36 PM
After seeing the conversation above, we'll stick with the alignment that I posted yesterday. I think we're close on keepers. Let me do a quick inventory. If they're all in, I'll post shortly. Otherwise, I'll send a quick sitemail to any stragglers.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!
11/24/2016 9:46 AM
Looks like I need two sets of keepers from schwarze and pumpkinmcp. They were likely waiting for the division alignment to sort out before sending. I'll be around for a while this morning before holiday festivities begin.
11/24/2016 9:56 AM
Sent.
11/24/2016 10:46 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...14 Next ▸
Rule V Leg #54 - Draft Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.