D1 recruiting thoughts Topic

Posted by hughesjr on 11/23/2016 6:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 11/23/2016 6:53:00 PM (view original):
I think having 9 or 10 players is now the norm.
That or a couple of role players on the team. Everyone we recruit does not have to be a stud starter as a senior any more. And it will be that way across all the high level teams .. therefore in relation to one another, the teams will be competitive. And the coaches who develop the best strategies will have a few better players than the others.
I had to pick up a couple of division 2 players this session. To get my class structure straight for next session. But there high potential division 2 players. Possible my worst class at all I been in at Miles. My plan a 's two of them didn't work out. Plan b didn't work out either had to get a couple of scrubs to fill the team. But I am going all in on one guy.
11/23/2016 8:24 PM
Right now with the lack of funds, it's just about impossible to battle for players more than 300 miles away, especially if you have 3 or less open scholarships. The recruiting function is awesome but I think we really need to increase funds to allow for multiple battles and more distance recruiting, otherwise, we will be right where we were in 2.0
11/23/2016 11:43 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 11/23/2016 8:24:00 PM (view original):
That or a couple of role players on the team. Everyone we recruit does not have to be a stud starter as a senior any more. And it will be that way across all the high level teams .. therefore in relation to one another, the teams will be competitive. And the coaches who develop the best strategies will have a few better players than the others.
I had to pick up a couple of division 2 players this session. To get my class structure straight for next session. But there high potential division 2 players. Possible my worst class at all I been in at Miles. My plan a 's two of them didn't work out. Plan b didn't work out either had to get a couple of scrubs to fill the team. But I am going all in on one guy.
Signing scrubs to force a certain class size is a bit moronic
11/24/2016 1:04 AM
Posted by mullycj on 11/24/2016 1:04:00 AM (view original):
I would not pick what i considered to be scrubs .. I would take role players who had good Def and no Off .. or a good scorer who may have Def flaws fro off the bench, etc. Of take a walkon and try again next season.

The bottom line is .. the days of 10 EE candidates is likely gone except for a really good recruiting season.

11/24/2016 8:45 AM
I have trouble recruiting Hughes. That's been my worry at D1. I would take a def role player anytime ... But I can't find them
11/24/2016 9:04 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 11/24/2016 8:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mullycj on 11/24/2016 1:04:00 AM (view original):
I would not pick what i considered to be scrubs .. I would take role players who had good Def and no Off .. or a good scorer who may have Def flaws fro off the bench, etc. Of take a walkon and try again next season.

The bottom line is .. the days of 10 EE candidates is likely gone except for a really good recruiting season.

They are role players with high potential.
11/24/2016 1:40 PM
Posted by zorzii on 11/24/2016 9:04:00 AM (view original):
I have trouble recruiting Hughes. That's been my worry at D1. I would take a def role player anytime ... But I can't find them
Well, again, there are many ways to develop the recruiting pool you can see.

I don't know how big your pool usually is, but it is usually my goal to get as many people above recruit level 1 that I can in the area I am in. Other people have other strategies.

If you do this for scouting, you should have many recruits in your pool:

1. Use google maps and only scout states initially that are 400 miles from your city. Could be a fairly small area of states. You only pay $15 per recruit per level .. it is important that you do this BEFORE you advance anyone in the state to level 4, otherwise you waste that cash, as you get charged for every recruit, but you may not get e level. This will end up being more like 500 or 600 miles total from your city when all is said and done.
2. Do a local camp at 200 recruits. You pay $12,000 for 400 levels (2 levels for 200 recruits) .. that is $30/recruit per level.
3. You could do the elite camp that covers your area (or skip it). This is normally $25 per recruit per level, but you will scout some d2 guys .. but even if you only look at D1 guys the for the elite camps, the cost per recruit is about: $46/D1-recruit per level.
4. Pick Assistant Scouts and pic Division 1, the positions you are going to fill, and 100 miles. Scout until the recruiting history shows 0 new recruits and cash does not go down. Then move to 200 miles and do it again. Then 300 miles, then 400 miles etc. The assistant coach search is $60/recruit per level.

If you give in to the temptation to scout individual players, it will cost somewhere between: $700 per recruit per level to a minimum of $105 per recruit per recruit per level at like 10 miles. At 500 miles, it is about $225 per recruit per level to scout individually. You can easily spend all your scouting cash this way, and not scout many guys past level 3.

At the end of that process, I normally (at division 1) have more than 400 recruits at level 2 or higher .. almost all at scouting level 3 or scouting level 4 .. with only ONE opening. Obviously, I have a bit more with more openings.

I also normally find every recruit within 500 or 750 miles of my city. If you can save some scouting cash (maybe $2500 to $3000) then you can search within 100, 200, 30, 400, 500, etc, one step at a time at the beginning of the 2nd recruiting period .. only initially looking for NEW recruits, and find any transfers for only $60 per recruit. Obviously this ONLY works if you had scouted all guys within that distance before transfers start like I suggested in 4. above.

If you find all the Div-1 recruits within 500 miles of your city, it is virtually impossible that you will not be able to find a couple good guys in recruiting period one who have only Division-2 or Division-3 guys on them who want to sign early, before then end of period 1, or whenever (50% shot they sign in period 1) . There is a good chance you can go above Moderate on one or two of those guys and sign them if even you have zero recruiting dollars left.

It has been my experience that while they might not be superstars .. they will be at least good backups.

Now, if you only look at the top 100 (where every other d1 coach is looking) then you may not be able to find any guys cheaply.

In order for this to work, you do have to figure out a method to progress the potential for the recruits who you get to scouting level 3 and scouting level 4. You need to use the attribute ranges included in the guide provided by Benis / chapel and progress the potential to find good players who are not in the overall top 100.

Ways to waste money:

1. Do to many FSS states. This will give you a lot of level 1 guys who you may not be able to scout past level 1. If you stay within 500 miles, you will be able to move al most all of them to at least level 2.

2. Do individual scouting .. this is at least double (and sometimes much more than that) the cost of any other method. You will blow through scouting cash using individual scouting.

3. Paying for camps that are far from your campus. You only get one level for a camp (other than your locally help camp, where you get 2 levels). If you get only guys > 500 miles, you may not be able to easily advance them. You can 'only progress' guys you have found with the assistant search, so if you take not a LOT of guys > 500, you can still progress them to level 2 or 3 for $60/recruit per level. But be careful :)

Is this the best method to find players .. no idea. It is the one I normally employ.
11/24/2016 8:01 PM (edited)
You can go significantly farther than 500 miles cheaply .. for example, you could initially progress the top 100 all the way to level 4 for 18000 (maybe a little less). Then you could scout a state via FSS add new recruits. Then progress them at $60 per recruit per level regardless of distance with the assistant search. You can do this for internationals, for example. Many different strategies available. The best approach is likely some kind of combination of the strategies.
11/24/2016 8:09 PM
Tx Hughes. You thought of it well. I already cut down on $$$ scouting but your plan will save even more.
11/24/2016 8:25 PM
After I do my school camp, and FSS the states around me, and do the most local camp, I generally use my assistant to scout every player within 200 miles (or 300) to level 4. Then you have a very clear idea of every player in your area.
11/24/2016 9:35 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 11/24/2016 9:35:00 PM (view original):
After I do my school camp, and FSS the states around me, and do the most local camp, I generally use my assistant to scout every player within 200 miles (or 300) to level 4. Then you have a very clear idea of every player in your area.
This is what I've been doing since the beta as well.
11/25/2016 12:01 AM
Nice strat Chapel and Hughes, it sures stretches the scouting budget. Just applied it in Phelan.
11/26/2016 11:29 AM
◂ Prev 12
D1 recruiting thoughts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.