I’m trying to figure out how to increase the number of sacks my defense gets in a game. Are there certain attributes I should be recruiting? Does blitzing increase the number of sacks? Something else???

11/23/2016 9:43 PM
I think first...one must ask why you want to increase sacks. Sacks and picks are nice statistics, but are not necessarily the true tale of good/great defense. Are you getting pressure? There are different ways to get pressure. Is your % completion against good? Is your ypp avg against ok? Same for running game. Is your ypc against ok? Total number of sacks and picks also has some dependence on whom you are playing....pass happy teams vs run happy teams.

In my experience the good defenses have those good averages and rank in the top ten in all categories....but do NOT have to have picks and sacks. The GREAT defenses...also add the sacks and picks.
11/24/2016 10:04 AM
Last season, I blitzed the same LB on every play for most of the season. He set the single season record for sacks. However, my DL got almost no sacks and I don't think my total number of sacks was really up at all, they just all went to the same player. This year, I don't blitz much at all and my DL are racking up sacks. So, I think to increase sacks you just need to recruit dominant defensive linemen.
11/25/2016 10:38 AM
Keep in mind that blitzing LBs creates coverage holes, especially against teams that throw a lot to their RBs and TEs.

Do some testing where you blitz in the first half and not in the second. Do this for a few games and measure the results.

Thats probably the best way to understand the impact of blitzing on sacks and completion percentage.
11/25/2016 2:26 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.