SAVE NHL SIM HOCKEY! Topic

DECEMBER 7th marked 1 year that I am here.

i am an Alpha and Beta tester for Revo/Atypical developer... what I appreciate in their strategy, even their least favorite or least successful online games ARE NEVER FORGOTTEN as they respect the few LOYAL users who paid a ONE TIME $4.99 fee to download the game and still pay it. THEY CAN EASILY SHUT DOWN THE ONLINE SERVERS for these old unpopular games, however they keep it them going as they know their most popular online games makes up and pays to keep the older game's servers active for users.

Here at $10 a pop, FOX makes a huge IF not a pure profit on us and the thanks they deliver back is absolutely nothing. I WILL SAY that the customer service is great... I've met a few via submitting tickets and 1 or 2 of them still play WIS hockey but other than that... I believe FOX has very poor HOCKEY vision and it's a complete shame that they can't tap into the North American market that would AGAIN become addicted to this.

In my opinion, FOX should self their WIS/Hockey to a developer that would very easily transform and revive this. Whoever dropped the ball and didnt upgrade/update WIS hockey as a strategy should reconsider revamping it or selling it off to a company that will make this prosper.

Lastly... for me... STRAT-O-MATIC online hockey is a serious but tedious consideration for me, although WIS it's a quicker, condensed and an easier version to play.

12/11/2016 9:24 PM
Its really unfortunate. I joined back when in 2005-06 during the lockout as something to keep my mind off the fact the season was stalled out. Business was booming for the hockey sim back they. They had a lockout league complete with weekly updates and reports, tons of theme leagues and open leagues filled in days.

I made 3 accounts so that I didn't have to wait to play exhibition leagues (this isn't even my preferred user name, its just the first one I decided to buy a team with) I was going through College and I still found the way to be able to run 5-6 teams at a time. I remember, WIS had a hockey championship with something like 100-150 owners buying 6 teams each with WIS footing the bill for 6 more teams for the top 24 to play in a championship league where there was a pretty good prize for top spot.

I remember self destruction trilogy leagues by Yogsloth, progressive and regressive leagues with waitlists and users I would see in practically every league I was in.

I really feel that WIS missed a huge opportunity with the last NHL lockout a few years ago. If they had advertised hard when everyone knew the NHL was going to be pushed back, people would have ran to make that fix. Sadly its just poor management and we are the ones to suffer for it. The only way it will get back on its feet is if some rich person decides to buy it from fox and overhaul it.

I would have loved an Ice Hockey Dynasty (but by HBD engine not HD or GD). Creating your own legacy and seeing guys set and break records, having your own Wayne Gretzky's and Bobby Orrs but instead they are named Dougie Steen and Toe Kozlov is sooooo much fun. It takes a few years to get into but it feels so real. Its a shame it will never happen.
12/14/2016 1:47 PM
I am now at the point where I no longer care if this thing lives or dies. I won a P.T. with lowest G/A in the league. A league I created. I went out in 4 straight to a weaker team. In another league I went out 4 straight and Bossy scored ZERO points (I finished in the top 4 in that one, too).

SIM hates me, but likes my money. They aren't getting any more of it. . . . . . . for at least another month
1/2/2017 9:54 PM (edited)
I agree with a lot of the sentiments expressed thus far. Sometimes things run through their course of existence, or at least their golden era. It seems abundantly clear to me that WIS Hockey has had its golden era end long ago. There are significant flaws as others have pointed out; stats normalization, defense rating, and highly implausible playoff scenarios. Certainly #8v#1 match ups see upsets, but it feels off. Much like the declining rural industrial/agricultural America, perhaps some things aren't ever going to recover. Maybe there simply isn't that great a demand for WIS Hockey. The market is saturated with other forms of entertainment. It's difficult for any esoteric product to achieve success, however intrepid (or not in this case) their management might well be. I find more enjoyment out of the Baseball sim than I do the hockey sim these days (though admittedly I don't play much either), and the only thing that compelled me to return was the progressive leagues. Hell even the last progressive league I up and left amidst my dynastic era.

I do believe Fox undervalues this sim, but selling the rights and intellectual property of WIS Hockey likely involves much more complex financial and intellectual rights' concerns. It'd be nice to see a group of hobby developers come to manage and update this sim, but Fox has no incentive to do that. I'd like to think we could round up a bunch of hockey fans to come join us here, but seriously, after a few leagues, you see the glaring errors of this sim and might be turned off.

I plan to stay in this progressive league I'm in. I wonder if they would even notice long term users up and quit?
12/15/2016 9:58 AM
I'm also looking around here after spending a lot of time and money here back in 2006-2007. It's pathetic, I'm in an OPEN league which apparently takes a month to fill. Apparently the site makes enough to pay for it's site hosting and electricity costs, and they let go of all of the sales, promotions, and programming staff. It's dying or dead. I wont spend any more money here beyond that one open league. A shame really, this used to be a good site.
12/16/2016 2:59 PM
Posted by kiteport on 12/6/2016 2:41:00 PM (view original):
Honestly, the idea of spending $10 to play sim hockey is a bit ridiculous, especially when you can invest in PS3 or PS4 hockey. The return on the $10 investment on this site is nil. It is addictive and in it's heyday a lot of us got ridiculously addicted to this site. A lot left for that financial reason.

The thrill of drafting is fun and interesting, but after that... the SIM is fickle and very unkind.

I'm surprised anyone is even left, to be honest. I have left twice, only to return. However, this time, I am gone. It's just done. I usually know when to leave the party, but this one kept me hanging on.

One last league.
Kiteport, it's peanuts.
A six pack is less than a case of beer and a bottle of Scotch. Funny thing.. after retiring, I have more to spend than ever before. Strange how that works

You're a lifer, Kite Like the song says: You can check out, but you can never leave (I loathed the Eagles)
1/2/2017 9:51 PM
Posted by mightymoose on 12/16/2016 2:59:00 PM (view original):
I'm also looking around here after spending a lot of time and money here back in 2006-2007. It's pathetic, I'm in an OPEN league which apparently takes a month to fill. Apparently the site makes enough to pay for it's site hosting and electricity costs, and they let go of all of the sales, promotions, and programming staff. It's dying or dead. I wont spend any more money here beyond that one open league. A shame really, this used to be a good site.
I like making leagues, and will make opens at 75m with no suspensions... sometimes will blacklist the 10m plus players, and sometimes not. Usually I rule no clones. . and have AA minor leaguers. They fill faster than the 50m opens
1/2/2017 9:56 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 12/14/2016 1:47:00 PM (view original):
Its really unfortunate. I joined back when in 2005-06 during the lockout as something to keep my mind off the fact the season was stalled out. Business was booming for the hockey sim back they. They had a lockout league complete with weekly updates and reports, tons of theme leagues and open leagues filled in days.

I made 3 accounts so that I didn't have to wait to play exhibition leagues (this isn't even my preferred user name, its just the first one I decided to buy a team with) I was going through College and I still found the way to be able to run 5-6 teams at a time. I remember, WIS had a hockey championship with something like 100-150 owners buying 6 teams each with WIS footing the bill for 6 more teams for the top 24 to play in a championship league where there was a pretty good prize for top spot.

I remember self destruction trilogy leagues by Yogsloth, progressive and regressive leagues with waitlists and users I would see in practically every league I was in.

I really feel that WIS missed a huge opportunity with the last NHL lockout a few years ago. If they had advertised hard when everyone knew the NHL was going to be pushed back, people would have ran to make that fix. Sadly its just poor management and we are the ones to suffer for it. The only way it will get back on its feet is if some rich person decides to buy it from fox and overhaul it.

I would have loved an Ice Hockey Dynasty (but by HBD engine not HD or GD). Creating your own legacy and seeing guys set and break records, having your own Wayne Gretzky's and Bobby Orrs but instead they are named Dougie Steen and Toe Kozlov is sooooo much fun. It takes a few years to get into but it feels so real. Its a shame it will never happen.
One well placed Ad in a Saskatoon paper would bring over a thousand new users. Half would end up playing $$ and we would soon have 300 regulars and half would be running 4 teams at a time. Pretty damned simple, if you ask me, but.. such an ad might cost $3000. if it's connected to the Sports Page

Saskatoon is a small city in Saskatchewan and is about 330,000 pop. Half the pop is hockey crazy. It's on the Canadian prairies, so what would you expect?

Would you risk 3 grand if it could return $12,000? D-uh

1/2/2017 10:10 PM
◂ Prev 12
SAVE NHL SIM HOCKEY! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.