Thoughts on how to Improve D-1 Topic

Posted by Benis on 12/2/2016 7:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 12/2/2016 7:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 12/2/2016 7:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/2/2016 6:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by highcountry on 12/2/2016 6:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/2/2016 5:33:00 PM (view original):
A way to retain users is what WifS needs. I'm at D3 and recruiting doesn't bother me. But I guarantee the user at Elon dropping big resources on a fellow who'll be SG3 at KY isn't very happy when KY shows and says "Hi, I'm Kentucky. We lost out on options 1-8. You're 9th on our list" isn't exactly enamored with the game.
What will happen is the coach at Elon will learn the type of player that he can reasonably expect to recruit and still win. Or he will learn a better strategy for getting a higher ranked player. He will learn a lesson from a recruiting loss and move on.

Every coach at a power conference team has successfully navigated through the lower rungs of D1, figuring out how to recruit and win. It's not impossible and we don't need to have everything be equal across the board.
Or they quit.

The dwindling population of HD suggests that I'm right.
hahaha

You have NO idea what the dwindling population of HD suggests. None.

You are basing this upon what your own experience was like 10 years ago. That's you. That's not the rest of the coaches out there. Unless you have some data that you'd like to share?

The fact that most coaches play 1-2 seasons at D3 and then quit suggests you are not right since they don't even get to D1 and then lose to UK in a lopsided recruiting battle.
I'm not concerned about the users that try a season of free HD and quit, and Fox probably shouldn't be, either. This is a niche market they're trying to reach. They have to assume that a lot of people either aren't going to get it, or aren't going to have time to learn it. And the mobile-friendlier design of 3.0 may increase that retention at that early spot a little. I'm more concerned about keeping the players like mike - who *should* be into a sports management simulation.

And anyway, I think we can assume at least *some* of those early quitters figured out pretty early that it was actually going to be real life years before they would get a sniff at real March Madness, and that does play into this discussion as well.
All I know is, I have gotten a lot of friends to try out HD. About 8 of them only played 1-3 seasons. Obviously I asked them why they didn't want to play anymore. None them were concerned about how long it'd take to get to D1 or how difficult it would be. All of them were just basically bored during the season.

3 of my other friends are still playing and are over 10 seasons. They're really in to it and enjoy the game for what it is. They're all at D3 and have no plans on moving up. None of them go on the message boards so they don't even know if it's easy or difficult to do so. They just have no interest in it.
Ok that's your experience, but I don't think your experience is necessarily all that common. And you have to keep in mind that a big ad push isn't going to be targeting primarily friends of current users who can establish a nice little fantasy-type conference together. When they're advertising on fox broadcasts - as we all want them to do - they're reaching individual college basketball fans, most likely fans of D1 programs (because that's what is televised).

Youre right that no individual users have a good big-picture view of why most players leave, nor do any of us have the kind of interest in an objective answer to that question that WIS has. We're all just speculating, and mostly just projecting our own subjective biases and preferences here.
12/2/2016 7:51 PM
One can assume your 3 other friends are in a conference with you, no?

That's to be expected. 11 from MG-HBD joined together in the Little East. For the most part, what we do is contingent on what everyone else does. We've played HBD together for 5-10 years. Playing HD together seems about right.

That said, if we all decided to move up, would we get to stay in the same conference(assuming openings) or are there some D2 that will say "No thanks. You suck"?
12/2/2016 7:57 PM
And shoe is right. One user bring in three more doesn't pay the bills unless all users bring in three more. WifS needs to appeal to a larger audience.
12/2/2016 8:02 PM
You can all move up together, provided you find a conference empty enough, and don't all apply for the same teams.
12/2/2016 8:03 PM
"Youre right that no individual users have a good big-picture view of why most players leave, nor do any of us have the kind of interest in an objective answer to that question that WIS has. We're all just speculating, and mostly just projecting our own subjective biases and preferences here."

I agree, we're just speculating. Long time coaches have been leaving left and right. Why? No one has bothered to ask them. But when they do post on here explaining why they're leaving, they get attacked for "This game sucks, I quit" posts. Some are like that, sure. But some aren't. You guys aren't genuinely curious why they're leaving? And don't you think it's possible that the reasons they're leaving could be the reasons others are leaving? Or could be reasons why others quit after 1-3 seasons?
12/2/2016 8:05 PM
Nope. Ain't my job to care why they're leaving. I'd just rather they do so quietly. Shitting all over the game on their way out sounds like sour grapes.

Send your ticket to the people that matter explaining why you're leaving and move along. Not a damn thing you or I can do to make them happy, right?
12/2/2016 8:13 PM
So you suspect that people are leaving because of the same issues you have yet you don't care to find out what the real reason is. Guess as long as you're happy then I guess everything is peachy. Got it.
12/2/2016 8:30 PM
Well, duh.

I'm not paying to play some silly internet game to make myself unhappy. That's just stupid.
12/2/2016 8:34 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/2/2016 8:34:00 PM (view original):
Well, duh.

I'm not paying to play some silly internet game to make myself unhappy. That's just stupid.
And have fun playing by yourself in an empty world
12/2/2016 8:38 PM
That's akin to telling your buddy "I hate fast food" while waiting for the drive-thru girl to say "So that's a #3 Super-sized, right?"
12/2/2016 8:39 PM
Posted by Benis on 12/2/2016 8:38:00 PM (view original):
Well, duh.

Yeah, I don't get that. Explain.
12/2/2016 8:40 PM
“But what some are suggesting, and I believe you are, is that KY/Duke/UNC can completely ignore a recruit until the last cycle or two and still blow Elon out of the water. That's not realism.”
Correct. It’s also not a playable Internet game, and not a feasible business model.

“I suspect we'll find that low D1 and mid-major D1 are much more playable in 3.0.”
No. If that is true, I cannot imagine how intolerable those levels were in 2.0. The gulf from high D1 to low D1 is far greater than the gulf from low D1 to high D2. For that matter, it is greater than the gulf from mid-D2 to mid-D3. High D1 and low D1 are an order of magnitude apart. The gulf from high D1 to low D1 is yuge!

“when they do post on here explaining why they're leaving, they get attacked for” the petty, bitter nature of their posts. Those few who bothered with a reasonable effort at something constructive were welcome.
12/2/2016 8:51 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/2/2016 8:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 12/2/2016 8:38:00 PM (view original):
Well, duh.

Yeah, I don't get that. Explain.
you win. have a nice night.
12/2/2016 8:57 PM
Well, I wasn't trying to "win". I was simply saying I'm not going to pay to do something that frustrates me. Especially an internet game. Surely there are millions of other diversions from the real world.

Nonetheless, you have a nice night as well. And a good day tomorrow!!!
12/2/2016 9:02 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 12/2/2016 4:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bathtubhippo on 12/2/2016 4:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 12/2/2016 3:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by johnsensing on 12/2/2016 3:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 12/2/2016 11:07:00 AM (view original):
Posted by johnsensing on 12/1/2016 9:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by texrangers18 on 12/1/2016 7:14:00 PM (view original):
D1 is still an elitist division in HD. Prestige means everything in recruiting.
This is a completely false statement.
It means a lot. Not everything, but a lot.

In Smith, Frank Myers just signed with A+ Arizona. He's a very good juco pg with 2 yrs left. As D+ Cal St Northridge, I went after him hard early. After 5 cycles, I had gone "all-in" and was briefly the only "very high" on his considering list. After 10 cycles, B+ Cal came knocking (I don't know how hard), and I was knocked down to moderate. Then after a few more cycles, Arizona came in and knocked Cal out of signing range, down to moderate. When he signed, CSUN was listed back at very low. Granted, I moved on after being knocked down to moderate, so he didn't get any attention from me after the 11th cycle. But up to that point, I had devoted 50 per cycle. We had a neutral to slightly positive preference profile - 1 VG, 1 G, 1 N, 1 VB (long time coach).

Attention points are weighted. I don't know exactly how, but they are not equivalent, and they do pretty heavily factor prestige.
The fact that an A+ could only knock you down to moderate is problematic to me. A D+ school should get easily kicked to the curb by a A+ school in my opinion. Do we want the game to be realistic or not?
I got knocked to moderate by a B+, who in turn got knocked to moderate by an A+ (Remember, I was very low at the end - after going all in). That's entirely realistic, and exactly how it should work, IMO.
yep, Arizona is my team. just for the record, i did throw down 20 HV and CV in one cycle, so it wasn't as if i just dropped 50 AP and blew everyone away there. but the prestige definitely helped!
If you don't mind sharing, where were you at before Cal extended their effort and knocked me down? Do you recall?
Very low. I hadn't done anything but open up actions with AP
12/2/2016 11:29 PM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13
Thoughts on how to Improve D-1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.