Thoughts on how to Improve D-1 Topic

Congrats on all your hard work and accomplishments. Will they be listed in your obit?
12/1/2016 5:00 PM
I think YOU'RE opinion of what a dynasty game should be isn't exactly common. It took you like 9 years to compete for a nt in d1 and probably a significant number of elite coaches quitting before you reached the top. Do you really think waiting a decade for better coaches to get bored and quit is the model games should have?
12/1/2016 5:03 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/1/2016 5:00:00 PM (view original):
Congrats on all your hard work and accomplishments. Will they be listed in your obit?
Hell no. I already wrote my obituary. It will tell of my colossal sex drive and rather amazing general ability to be a dick. And also that I am a decent cook. My wife wants to leave the last part out.
12/1/2016 5:08 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/1/2016 5:03:00 PM (view original):
I think YOU'RE opinion of what a dynasty game should be isn't exactly common. It took you like 9 years to compete for a nt in d1 and probably a significant number of elite coaches quitting before you reached the top. Do you really think waiting a decade for better coaches to get bored and quit is the model games should have?
What is a dynasty then? What is the point of a dynasty game if you cant build a dynasty? Not trying to be a dick here--seriously curious. The whole reason I started playing this game was to feed my insatiable competitive spirit and get to the top so I could be better than everyone else and reign down terror on their recruiting efforts. Seriously--I am hyper competitive at an unhealthy level (my friends won't play board games with me any more because I take it to seriously), and I play game like this, and fantasy football, for the exclusive chance to destroy, humiliate, and dominate my competition. Preferably for as long as possible. Hence my attraction to "dynasty".

Also, it took me about about 2 years to go from low DI to being top 25 every season. I played DII for a hell of a long time because I liked the conference I was in--great coaches and great competition. When coaches started to leave, I followed my arch rival to the Patriot league and stayed at UNH for a while even though I was eligible to move up pretty quickly. Hell, I even had a player drafted from UNH. When I found out that arch rival had been cheating (dirty rat had a team in our conference, in our freaking division under a second user name!!!) I moved up to Nova, which had been vacant for a few seasons. I then began my meteoric rise to stardom, getting my *** whipped by Oldresorter and Jbasnight every year until I learned how to recruit with the big boys. I mainly attribute my incredible success and overwhelming recent conference dominance to my modesty. Modesty has made me the awe inspiring coach and advice giver I am today. Modesty and beer.
12/1/2016 5:18 PM
You can still be a dynasty. You just need to figure out a way to do it in the new game. Surely someone of your prowess will be able to figure it out.
12/1/2016 5:24 PM
i am so tired of the political/generational comparison stuff. this is an internet game made by WIS, an arm of a for-profit company. it has nothing to do with communism or millennials. please, people, just stop with this "get off my lawn" / "in my day we walked uphill both ways" crap. come on. constructive conversation, please.

@mike: with the extent of preparation you're urging, you shouldn't just wear your seatbelt, you should never leave the house. and build a fully stocked bomb shelter. etc. etc. your logic on the point about the unexpected S16 causing unexpected EEs made no sense how you presented it, and it would behoove your argument to occasionally just admit you provided a bad example. i do agree with a lot of what you've said, but i thought this was silly. that's all.
12/1/2016 5:42 PM (edited)
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/1/2016 5:24:00 PM (view original):
You can still be a dynasty. You just need to figure out a way to do it in the new game. Surely someone of your prowess will be able to figure it out.
This is something I honestly doubt. I am not sure there is anything to figure out in HD 3.0. Not just for a coach as awesomely modest as me, but for any coach. I see the increased random component to recruiting as removing the ability to rely on ones skill. HD 3.0 introduces a situation where you can do absolutely everything right, have probability on your side, yet still lose the coin flip. If it happens once, you can recover. If it happens twice, you are going to have a down year. If it happens 3 times in a recruiting cycle, you are back to square one in the dynasty building process. So far I am 1 for 8 on coin flips over the 3 recruiting/signing cycles since the change over. Three of those I was VH and lost to a H. I won my first coin flip this current session, where my A+ school, coming off a national championship game appearance (and narrow loss), was pushed into a coin flip on the last cycle before signings by a C+ school that showed up on the list two cycles earlier. I am of the opinion that there should not be a coin flip in that situation, but there was and I guess I am lucky I finally won one. Each of the previous two seasons I lost my coin flips and brought on some seriously scrub players just so I could go 9 deep. I can't see a path to continued success when the most important aspect of the game is left up to chance. You can't compete for national championships with scrubs. I am fortunate that I am modest enough to be able to see how this game is limiting me, holding my greatness at bay. Only someone as modest as me can have such epic depth of sight.
12/1/2016 5:40 PM
Posted by bathtubhippo on 12/1/2016 5:42:00 PM (view original):
i am so tired of the political/generational comparison stuff. this is an internet game made by WIS, an arm of a for-profit company. it has nothing to do with communism or millennials. please, people, just stop with this "get off my lawn" / "in my day we walked uphill both ways" crap. come on. constructive conversation, please.

@mike: with the extent of preparation you're urging, you shouldn't just wear your seatbelt, you should never leave the house. and build a fully stocked bomb shelter. etc. etc. your logic on the point about the unexpected S16 causing unexpected EEs made no sense how you presented it, and it would behoove your argument to occasionally just admit you provided a bad example. i do agree with a lot of what you've said, but i thought this was silly. that's all.
A Communist Millennial? Can you imagine dealing with such a creature? You just gave me shivers.

Terrifying conception aside, I agree with your point. Apologies.
12/1/2016 5:43 PM
Posted by bathtubhippo on 12/1/2016 5:42:00 PM (view original):

Yeah, the seatbelt was a bad analogy. But I was waiting to be called on it. Good job.

I'm sure users who have far more knowledge than me have just the tiniest of inkling that a player may be an EE. Of course, in this setting, they're not going to admit it. After all, they're arguing how unfair the system is. So, rather than argue on their turf where I'm at a major disadvantage, I'll use an example from my area of knowledge: HBD.

All players in HBD have health ratings. A low health guy, sub 30 for instance, is likely to meet an injury eventually. Maybe light, maybe devastating. But a lot of these guys are awesome players. That said, some 22 health guys go unscathed for seasons on end. Now, as we have limited resources in HBD, 185m for all budget areas for all teams, the owner has to decide "Do I roll the dice, run my best 25 and let the Injury Gods decide my fate" or "Damn, that 22 health guy is a risk. I better be 27 deep just in case he, and that random 98 health guy, go down". I, for one, refuse to let my season be derailed by injury so I sign some "make do" guys at the end of FA if my budget allows. Others take the other route.

So, IMO, a veteran HD owner should be able to look at a potential EE and think "Hmmmmm, maybe I get lucky, maybe I don't" and plan his route. I have no problem with someone saying "I'll take my chances" and dump all their resources into the next big thing. That's one way to play. Or, on the other hand, they could take a safer route. They could spread their resources around a bit and have two options instead of one. Sure, they're going to lose the next big thing. But, if they are on track for two next not-quite-as-big things, they are not caught with their dicks in their hand when that potential EE is an actual EE.

I believe some do that now and I believe more are likely to do it in the future. Standing around with your dick in your hand makes you look stupid. People don't like to look stupid.
12/1/2016 5:59 PM (edited)
But the resources for recruiting just aren't there unless you have 5 or 6 seniors (or 1 senior and 5 walk ons...etc). If you have 40 or 60 AP to work with, and are expecting 2 EE's on top of your 1-2 graduating players, it is near impossible to invest enough AP on a quality player (not an elite player, not even a 4 star--I am thinking a solid 2 or 3 star, a player that could develop into a starter on a competitive team by his senior year) before he is scooped by another team. If you make it through the first cycle with 10-15 points on the guy, some mid major or below has already gone all in, and the recruit invariably signs with them the first cycle of period 2 before you even have the chance to allocate AP and visits. What is more annoying is that on the first cycle of the second session, when you drop your load and dump everything into that backup recruit, they still take all the visits and cost you all your resources even though they signed with the other guy that cycle--leaving you in a HUGE deficit to approach the few remaining cycles of period 2.

Also, speak for yourself but I look awesome standing around with my dick in my hand.
12/1/2016 6:07 PM
You may think so. No one else does. But good for you.

Didn't read the first part. Too long. You'll never have as many posts as me if you can't be succinct.
12/1/2016 6:11 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by CoachSpud on 12/1/2016 6:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/1/2016 6:11:00 PM (view original):

Didn't read the first part. Too long. You'll never have as many posts as me if you can't be succinct.
You didn't miss much by not reading that paragraph. Just the same ol' same ol' about how the second period is so unfair ... missing the point as usual that it's the first period, not the second period at all, that is key. It also only argues one side of the big picture coin, the part about "losing" the guy and ignoring the benefits the guy yielded for the seasons he played.
Spud-- How, specifically, would you allocate points if you had two open spots, and 3 expected EE's. You have 60 points total to work with. What level of recruit would you target and how much would you put on each recruit? How would you fend off mid-majors dumping far greater resources in? Given that you could likely only target recruits with a "late" signing preference, how would you deal with the greatly reduced recruit pool? Again, how specifically would you approach the situation?
12/1/2016 6:18 PM
Posted by snafu4u on 12/1/2016 6:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by CoachSpud on 12/1/2016 6:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/1/2016 6:11:00 PM (view original):

You didn't miss much by not reading that paragraph. Just the same ol' same ol' about how the second period is so unfair ... missing the point as usual that it's the first period, not the second period at all, that is key. It also only argues one side of the big picture coin, the part about "losing" the guy and ignoring the benefits the guy yielded for the seasons he played.
Spud-- How, specifically, would you allocate points if you had two open spots, and 3 expected EE's. You have 60 points total to work with. What level of recruit would you target and how much would you put on each recruit? How would you fend off mid-majors dumping far greater resources in? Given that you could likely only target recruits with a "late" signing preference, how would you deal with the greatly reduced recruit pool? Again, how specifically would you approach the situation?
Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'll refer you to koopman's post on page 9 of this thread:

Early Entries/Attention Points Needs a Hotfix

I would just stress your selection of first period targets a little more than he did. And I would add that sometimes the tried and true D2/D3 strategy of utilizing a flawed player for his assets, not his flaw, can be part of the mix.
12/1/2016 6:23 PM (edited)
Look at my roster @ Nova, Spud--I always have players utilized just for a specific asset. That is not a D2/3 strategy, that is just plain old basketball strategy.
12/1/2016 7:03 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...13 Next ▸
Thoughts on how to Improve D-1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.