Recruiting from a n00b viewpoint Topic

I believe it was trentonjoe who said he'd like a perspective from a "new" owner. Figured I should post it pre and post the dreaded "random dice roll".

Session 1 started on 11/27 at 5 PM so we've had 7 cycles.

I much prefer this system to the one that caused me to quit HD 10 years ago. I had 3 primary targets. I'm the lone very high on one(only 1 very low competing). I'm leading with moderate on one(one very low). And I'm losing to a very high with a moderate on the other(several very low).

The last one is why I find this better. The VH is a better school with a better owner. Under the old system, I would have bailed about 3-4 cycles ago. However, I'm staying on him. If I can get to High, I still have a 25%ish shot according to the data I've seen. It's a chance I'm willing to take. I might even be able to get to VH which, I assume, gives me 50/50.

The 2nd player is also interesting. Again, a better school is on him. I moved some resources away when he showed up but have started dedicating more back to him(found two good back-up plans and they're at VH now). I'm pretty sure they were pushed back to VL when I hit moderate. I'd have left him alone before.

Now, granted, I may lose my first target if the VL dedicates more to him. But, thus far, the process has been better for me for 2 of 3. And I may come up 0-3. But at least I have a shot at getting all 3 of my targets when better schools are on 2 of them.
11/29/2016 7:11 AM
"I might even be able to get to VH which, I assume, gives me 50/50."

Well, yes and no. The schools at VH probably aren't exactly equal in recruiting effort, which means they are also not equal in signing probabilities. But as both are listed at VH, you know the difference isn't great.
11/29/2016 11:28 AM
Are you going for all DIII players? I'd be interested in your experience if you tried pulling players down. That's what I've primarily done at DII, so I won't get the full scope of things until session 2.
11/29/2016 12:34 PM
No D1. If I have a scholly left over, I might try to nab a low level D1.
11/29/2016 1:45 PM
I got my first signing and I'm pretty pumped. He's a Juco but he's also my best player now.

So far, I have not found the recruiting process cumbersome or time consuming. Keep in mind that I come from HBD and, quite frankly, there's a lot to do in the pre-season. So that may be the reason I haven't found 6 hours to recruit, and change my mind, to be time-consuming.
12/1/2016 9:18 AM
Signed #2 and #3 on the last cycle. Both are nothing but role players but I was using my first session as a learning experience(more or less).
12/1/2016 11:55 AM
If you post there #'s and potential, you can get some quality feedback. If you want....
12/1/2016 12:26 PM
Once recruiting is over, I'll post them. But, even as a "n00b", I know they're not anything to brag about. More than anything, I was trying to see how easy/hard the low/mid/high-hanging fruit was to get. These two guys were easy. Sadly, their BH/P skills exceed anyone on my 6-20 team. I'll be bad but better. And I'll know not to **** away all my scouting on Day 3 of the season.
12/1/2016 12:36 PM
My lone D2 target signed with a D2 team that came in late. But that was fair. It wasn't one cycle. He showed up 6-8 cycles ago. No complaints. This is what I got. I intend to cut a player in RS2 and fill one more spot. We were a turnover machine so I really needed to upgrade BH/P. The PF is a 2y Juco. I know they're not special but I learned some things.

12/2/2016 6:48 AM
As a side note, the first two are listed as Motion/Zone as their primary O/D and the 3rd is flex/zone. I run motion/zone so I'm assuming the learning curve is less.
12/2/2016 7:01 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/2/2016 6:48:00 AM (view original):
My lone D2 target signed with a D2 team that came in late. But that was fair. It wasn't one cycle. He showed up 6-8 cycles ago. No complaints. This is what I got. I intend to cut a player in RS2 and fill one more spot. We were a turnover machine so I really needed to upgrade BH/P. The PF is a 2y Juco. I know they're not special but I learned some things.

I would like that 448 SG if it weren't for his 20 WE. How much does a players WE go up if you start him as a freshman? Depending on that, I'd start the bottom SG next season for developmental purposes
12/2/2016 8:42 AM
My lowest WE for a freshman was 35. He averaged 20 min a game and went from 426 to 471. He had two VH and 0 H potential. Truth is, if I don't get a better player in session 2, those two will likely split time.
12/2/2016 8:59 AM
The SG with 20 WE should grow 9-12 points in the green categories if you start him every game (which it sounds like you should).
12/2/2016 9:51 AM
Posted by mbriese on 12/2/2016 8:42:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/2/2016 6:48:00 AM (view original):

I would like that 448 SG if it weren't for his 20 WE. How much does a players WE go up if you start him as a freshman? Depending on that, I'd start the bottom SG next season for developmental purposes
It depends on starting WE. If he starts at 5 WE, it may only go up 1 or 2 points. If he's around 50, it could go up 8-9 points. At 20 WE, you will probably get 4-5 I think.

But to be honest, that particular SG is pretty mediocre, regardless of WE. His ATH/SPD, is pretty low. 44 ATH isn't bad but I'd like to have 80 SPD to go along with it. He has good potential at BH/Pass but lack of LP/PER is going to limit his scoring ability.

The 411 SG has much better scoring potential but his Spd is really low too :/
12/2/2016 10:00 AM (edited)
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/2/2016 9:51:00 AM (view original):
The SG with 20 WE should grow 9-12 points in the green categories if you start him every game (which it sounds like you should).
He's weaker in D/BH/P. Does the superior ATH make that much of a difference?
12/2/2016 10:13 AM
12345 Next ▸
Recruiting from a n00b viewpoint Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.