Attributes for a good scorer? Topic

I'm looking at my new team at the D1 level and thinking to myself I want taking the the most shots the upcoming season. Then I thought, what attributes make up a good scorer?

My question to the community is... What attributes do you look at for a go-to scorer on your team? Gaurds? Low post?
11/30/2016 10:05 AM
Guards, ath, spd, bh, per... Sf per, lp

posts, lp, ath, bh, per can help out.
11/30/2016 10:11 AM
Athleticism and Speed - the rest will sort itself out.
11/30/2016 10:27 AM
In a nut shell ATH, SPD, LP, PER, BH and IQ are all used in the scoring equation. How they are used and how much they are weighed is variable.

There are at least two different scoring equations. The first uses LP and ATH more than the others. Most people think of this as post scoring but it works well with guards, as well. In fact, guards need less LP than post players do to be effective scorers. A high FT rating is also useful with these players because higher ATH players tend to be fouled more.

The second weighs SPD and PER more with BH being third. These tend to be more guards but high speed, high perimeter post players also work well (although for some reason I get more out of these guys at the 4 than the 5).

There may be a third that weighs SPD and BH but I can't quite figure out a way to make this work. I literally only use these kinda scorers when both SPD and BH are over 90.

If I had to guess I would say equation 1 is like:
40% LP
30% ATH
10% BH
10% Speed
10% PER

Equations 2 would be something like:
40% PER
30% Speed
20% BH
10% ATH
very little LP.

These are mostly guesses.....
11/30/2016 10:51 AM (edited)
Last season, St. Francis ran fastbreak. If you stick with that, speed and athleticism are the primaries; ball-handling + perimeter are useful for guards, ball-handling + low post useful for bigs. Don't completely ignore passing at D1, especially for guards, but it's not a priority. Free-throw shooting can be a factor, too. If I'm looking at otherwise similar players, I give a distribution edge to a player who hits his free throws, because when things are clicking on fastbreak, you can be shooting 30-40+ ft/g. But getting to the line in and of itself is even more important, so that's why ATH/SPD is so vital.

If you move to motion, it all stays mostly the same, but passing is a little more important, speed and athleticism are a little less dominant. Flex and triangle require a little more passing than ball-handling, and don't punish ATH/SPD deficiencies to the degree that motion and fastbreak tend to (some say flex requires as much speed; I haven't found that, but then again, I haven't played flex above D3, so grain of salt).
11/30/2016 10:59 AM
I have four main types of scorers who can get into double digits (this is DII but the same thing applies in DI just higher ratings):
Slasher
LP
Per
Balanced with BH+SP
11/30/2016 11:59 AM
I know this is a little off topic, and may be a Mr. Obvious observation.

But most of the highest scorers I ever had wasn't because they had such high attributes in Ath, Speed, BH, per, LP ect, (even though that's important) but it was these attributes compared to the other players on my team. It's when one or two players are heads and shoulders above the rest of the team is when you see the 25 ppg type players.

And usually those teams who depend only on one or two players scoring, are not very dangerous.

11/30/2016 1:02 PM
The other component is who is guarding the guy. Average Johnny (50 ATH 50 LP) is going to tear up Strinky Willie (10 ATH/10DEF/10BLK) but get locked down by Mr. Myers (80 ATH/80DEF/80 BLK).
11/30/2016 2:31 PM
Posted by skinndogg on 11/30/2016 1:03:00 PM (view original):
I know this is a little off topic, and may be a Mr. Obvious observation.

But most of the highest scorers I ever had wasn't because they had such high attributes in Ath, Speed, BH, per, LP ect, (even though that's important) but it was these attributes compared to the other players on my team. It's when one or two players are heads and shoulders above the rest of the team is when you see the 25 ppg type players.

And usually those teams who depend only on one or two players scoring, are not very dangerous.

The question here is whether he wants the best ppg scorer or the best actual scorer. Some of my best players have been on loaded teams which obviously restricts that players ability to excel statistically.
11/30/2016 11:34 PM
Attributes for a good scorer? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.