Defensive replacement setting Topic

I've always been curious as to why the defensive replacement setting in the manager's office says "Use defensive replacements if up by XX or more in XX inning or later." Should it not be "Use defensive replacements if up by XX or less..."?

If I set it at 1 or more, that means anytime I have a lead of any size in the designated inning, defensive replacements will come in. What if I only want them to come in with a 1 or 2 run lead - maybe even 3 - but not more than that? Seems it would be better the other way around.
11/30/2016 11:15 AM
Posted by jtpops on 11/30/2016 11:15:00 AM (view original):
I've always been curious as to why the defensive replacement setting in the manager's office says "Use defensive replacements if up by XX or more in XX inning or later." Should it not be "Use defensive replacements if up by XX or less..."?

If I set it at 1 or more, that means anytime I have a lead of any size in the designated inning, defensive replacements will come in. What if I only want them to come in with a 1 or 2 run lead - maybe even 3 - but not more than that? Seems it would be better the other way around.
Generally no. If you have a narrow lead, it's easier to lose it and you don't want your top bats out of the game. If you have a larger lead, the bats become less important and you'd rather have quality gloves to contribute to more outs.
11/30/2016 11:34 PM
Posted by uncleal on 11/30/2016 11:34:00 PM (view original):

Generally no. If you have a narrow lead, it's easier to lose it and you don't want your top bats out of the game. If you have a larger lead, the bats become less important and you'd rather have quality gloves to contribute to more outs.
But the SIM setting doesn't allow you to differentiate. The other side of your coin is that with a 1-run lead, I want my .265 hitting, C/B OFer removed for my .215 hitting, A+/A+ OFer. If I set it at 2-3 or more, that won't happen. I agree that you don't want your big bats taken out, but you should be taking out some of your average bats if you can greatly improve your defense.
12/1/2016 12:27 PM
Posted by jtpops on 12/1/2016 12:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by uncleal on 11/30/2016 11:34:00 PM (view original):

But the SIM setting doesn't allow you to differentiate. The other side of your coin is that with a 1-run lead, I want my .265 hitting, C/B OFer removed for my .215 hitting, A+/A+ OFer. If I set it at 2-3 or more, that won't happen. I agree that you don't want your big bats taken out, but you should be taking out some of your average bats if you can greatly improve your defense.
Yeah, I mean, it's a SIM limitation, but the SIM is full of limitations. I can't tell a mop-up to suddenly come out of a game if we have a comeback either.

You want full control over managerial decisions, play LIVE.

(That being said, why is a .265 hitter starting in an uncapped league? I mean, you're not spending money on .215/A+ on the bench in a capped league... I suppose this would be a thing in a progressive or a league with a lot of restrictions...)
12/2/2016 8:15 PM
I sometimes use Defensive Replacements to pre-empt the Rest function. Yes I get a good defensive player but more importantly a good hitter gets some rest in a game that isn't really close. But overall I think replacements are overrated. Playing a couple innings in the field rarely makes a difference and it could hurt your team fatigue because you bypass the 6 PA exemption.
12/4/2016 3:19 AM (edited)
Defensive replacement setting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.