Why is this pitcher terrible? Topic

Gregory Tallet -- From what I can see this guy should be a pretty good pitcher, not a CY contender or anything but pretty good, instead he's been one of the worst in the league. I've got his ratings for those who don't care to click on a link

OVR: 80
vR: 70
vL: 79
Control: 82
GB/FB: 81
Pitch1: 90
Pitch2: 71

While I'd certainly prefer a slightly higher vR, I'm really still not sure why this guy has a 5+ ERA over multiple ML seasons despite playing in a fairly neutral park with a fine defense behind him. Any ideas?
11/30/2016 12:53 PM
I had a guy like that once.

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerStats.aspx?pid=6749264

Sometimes it just happens. I can't explain it.

(It's also funny that I find a 3.50 ERA terrible. But I expect more from my pitchers)
11/30/2016 1:21 PM
LHP with borderline VR throwing too many pitches.

It's only 540 IP but I'd expect him to be better. Lowering his PC probably accomplishes that. And it could be a heavy hitting league. Would need to know league averages to be sure.
11/30/2016 1:23 PM
Mike, interesting thought on the pitch count. I obviously couldn't see his games from last season but this season he's tended to run into trouble in the early innings. I'll lower it some and see if that helps, not sure but at this point I'll try anything.

Also the league seems about average offensively (last full season average was .263 BA, .330 OBP, .424 SLG, .754 OPS, this season is almost the exact same with BA, OBP, OPS each .002 higher, SLG the same)
11/30/2016 2:14 PM
Pitching, overall, is a good bit off from "average". Average generally runs 1.30 WHIP, 4.10 ERA. So my guess is scoring is pretty high when compared to most worlds. So I checked.
Coop 4.23 runs per team/game
Mantle 4.35 runs per team/game
M Graham 4.33 runs per team/game

Your world 4.8 so far this season, 4.82 last season. It may be filled with hitter's park or, and this happens, it's just a hitter's world. SIMAI doesn't generate worlds evenly. You may want to check you other worlds and, if they lean more towards pitching, adjust your expectations for Tallet.
11/30/2016 2:27 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Appreciate the help. Based on your previous post I'd moved him to 75/85 and I'll see if that helps.
11/30/2016 3:11 PM
Just figured I'd follow up. Lowered his PC and he did pitch substantially better; 5.68 ERA prior to changing PC, 3.75 after, season total of 4.20

Guessing some of that was expected regression to the mean, but his career ERA as a starter had also been over 5, so definitely a major difference. Appreciate all the help.
1/18/2017 5:29 PM
Excellent example of how pitch count and pull rating contributes to ERA. I observed Tallet (I'm in that world) and commented that he was giving up runs at the end of his appearances because he was fatigued, but your settings were not allowing simmy to pull him. Obviously I could not view your settings but I could derive them from his game log and the box scores
1/20/2017 5:32 PM
What does the pull ratings do for the pitchers?
1/21/2017 7:34 AM
He's talking about the call bullpen options under the "Edit Player Settings" menu.
1/21/2017 10:46 AM
Yup, this was a case of having a fairly terrible team and feeling that even a tired Tallet was better than other options. In the world I'd won WS titles in, most of my pitchers were workhorses and I'd let them throw more than automatic settings dictated. Worked for those guys, but definitely not for him.
2/1/2017 1:32 AM
Also look at your catchers PC rating. I had a similar rated catcher as you have and brought up a better rated guy from the minors...improved my entire staff.

Nearly won my division after being 15 back at the All-star break.

We'll see if it carries to next season.
2/3/2017 10:51 PM
Why is this pitcher terrible? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.