Defense QuestionsI Topic

I'm still fairly new to SLB and have some questions about defense:

If I put my best OF in CF, should I put my 2nd best in RF or LF? IRL MLB, the RF is usually better than the LF.... And in higher cap SLB leagues, you usually see many LH hitters.. So I tend to think the RF should be the better fielder, but I am not sure....

And, I'm wondering if I can use Ted Williams at 1B without hurting my defense too much...

I already drafted a team with '23 Ruth, '11 Cobb, '94 H Duffy, '87 Tip O'neal, and '41 Williams. $255M league

I don't have a 1B on the squad but Ruth has a good rating at 1B as a secondary position... However, he is also my best OF and Tip O'Neal is rated D/B- and has a fielding% of .895... I was thinking my best defensive lineup may actually be Williams at 1B and Ruth in the OF with O'Neal at DH... Williams is a D+/C- OF, but his RL fielding% is pretty good at .966.... The letter grades and RRF would indicate that O'Neal should play in the OF and Williams DH, but the errors/fielding% suggest the opposite (Considering Ruth plays 1B and not Williams)

So- I guess I'm asking which one should play the OF, which one should play 1B and which one should DH.... and in general, should I put my better OF in RF or LF.....

Thanks for any incite
12/1/2016 12:55 AM
I usually hide my worst OF in RF. And tbh, I usually put my best OF in LF, the one with most range in CF, and my worst one in RF. Also, anyone can play first with virtually no effect. I remember in one of ssupfoo's leagues, I didn't have a good 1st baseman to work with so I put Mike Piazza (the year he hit .360) at first and he had a .990+ fielding percentage with hardly any "-" plays. I remember one year, someone put Griffey Jr at first and he won the GG there.

So so I think u got it right. Put O'Neill at DH, but Teddy at first, and try to hide Duffy I think in RF. I'd put Ruth in LF and put Cobb with dat range in CF
12/1/2016 2:06 AM
It's very close. The Sim consider all hitters to be pull hitters so the worst fielder generally belongs in RF. unless the opposing team has more Lefty batters in which case your worst fielder in LF.
Anybody can play 1B without much penalty, with the possible exception of bad range guys. 1B won't make many errors but I've seen some wild swings in +/-
12/4/2016 3:27 AM
Even with not knowing what park you're playing in at a $255 cap I'd start with range over def. As long as the Def isn't D-, those can be really bad. Every team is going to have stacked hitters so live with the errors if one guy can cover a lot more ground. If it were my team I'd go with Duffy-LF Cobb-CF Ruth-RF and as for 1B, again I'd look at range at the primary position if there's no 1B rating and go with the highest one there too (O'Neill). As said above not whole lot of errors get made at first no matter who you put on the field so I like putting the one who's going to get to the most balls there. Then odd man out (Williams) gets the best job in the majors....DH!!
12/9/2016 1:44 AM
Your second best OF should go in right since RF and LFer handle about the same chances and errors or minus plays are more costly in RF.
12/12/2016 12:35 AM
Defense QuestionsI Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.