Building a Ath/spd/def team Topic

Also, choose your OFF/DEF and recruit for that specific set. The stamp I have left on my programs is a combo defense. I specifically favor a press/zone. It gives you a lot of options when game planning, and generally makes it more difficult for opposing coaches to game plan against. The press lets your guys ATH/SPD/DEF shine through, and the zone lets you mask any deficient players you may have while effectively countering teams that favor either inside or perimeter play. I have used this combo at all 3 divisions with success. You need to get very frugal with allocating practice minutes into skills in order to allocate enough into team practice to make it work (I typically do 20 off, 20 zone, 18 press - or 19/18 zone 17/16 press if my freshman have decent starting IQ's). I took over a DIII team last season and did a hard reset on offense and defense and had everyone at least B/B- in both Press and Zone by the end of the year.
12/1/2016 9:41 PM
Posted by snafu4u on 12/1/2016 9:41:00 PM (view original):
Also, choose your OFF/DEF and recruit for that specific set. The stamp I have left on my programs is a combo defense. I specifically favor a press/zone. It gives you a lot of options when game planning, and generally makes it more difficult for opposing coaches to game plan against. The press lets your guys ATH/SPD/DEF shine through, and the zone lets you mask any deficient players you may have while effectively countering teams that favor either inside or perimeter play. I have used this combo at all 3 divisions with success. You need to get very frugal with allocating practice minutes into skills in order to allocate enough into team practice to make it work (I typically do 20 off, 20 zone, 18 press - or 19/18 zone 17/16 press if my freshman have decent starting IQ's). I took over a DIII team last season and did a hard reset on offense and defense and had everyone at least B/B- in both Press and Zone by the end of the year.
"Also, choose your OFF/DEF and recruit for that specific set"

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES.

Yes.

Biggest mistake I see new coaches make is to recruit a bunch of players and then come on the boards and ask, "What offense/defense should I run with these players." Big mistake that usually set the team back 3-4 seasons. You need to decide what O/D your team will run, what the team will look like/be good at and then recruit from there.

I run motion/zone. My best teams have always looked like this: pass-first PG with good speed, great perimeter shooter SG, high athleticism/high defense SF, low post scoring threat PF, good defense/superb shot blocking C. And I try to recruit guys who fit those molds.
12/2/2016 2:53 PM
◂ Prev 12
Building a Ath/spd/def team Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.