HOF ballots early returns Topic

Sorry I'm late to the argument. How many shortstops were better than Rizzuto, DURING, his playing career. Tulo played at a different time than Scooter. Which is the reason I have trouble putting Sheffield in. He's got the milestones like 500 homers, but that's not as surprising? as it used to be. There's many OF during Sheff's time that deserve to get in over him
12/7/2016 5:36 PM
Other than Bonds and Manny Ramirez, how many OF were better offensively than Sheffield during his career?
12/7/2016 6:12 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/7/2016 6:12:00 PM (view original):
Other than Bonds and Manny Ramirez, how many OF were better offensively than Sheffield during his career?
To answer my own question...Vlad & Walker are the only ones I can think of who even come close. And I'd probably give Sheffield the nod over those two.

I'd take Sheffield over Berkman. Over Juan Gonzalez and Jim Edmonds.

Who else?
12/7/2016 6:23 PM
Of guys whose careers overlapped substantially with Sheffield? Do Rickey and Gwynn count? They overlap over 50%.

And if you don't totally ignore defense I'd take Edmonds and obviously Griffey... And at that point, you could point to the fact that Sheffield really didn't field well for most of his outfield years, and then if you lump him in with the guys who were all about the bat - Frank Thomas, Thome, Berkman, McGwire...

Also, I think Abreu belongs on your "pretty close" list...
12/7/2016 7:19 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 12/7/2016 7:19:00 PM (view original):
Of guys whose careers overlapped substantially with Sheffield? Do Rickey and Gwynn count? They overlap over 50%.

And if you don't totally ignore defense I'd take Edmonds and obviously Griffey... And at that point, you could point to the fact that Sheffield really didn't field well for most of his outfield years, and then if you lump him in with the guys who were all about the bat - Frank Thomas, Thome, Berkman, McGwire...

I think d_rock was referring to non-Hall of Famers. At least that's how I took it.
12/7/2016 7:35 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/7/2016 7:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 12/7/2016 7:19:00 PM (view original):

I think d_rock was referring to non-Hall of Famers. At least that's how I took it.
I was talking about just players. Like Sheffield was one of the better hitters during his career, but as an outfielder, would you put the 6th or 7th best outfielder in the HoF? Sheffield played during a time of many great hitters, he just played during the wrong time. He puts his best numbers in the 80s, yeah he's a HoF, but in he 90s and 2000s, no, he's one of those guys that just misses out. IMO
12/7/2016 7:47 PM
Then again, he was really good for a really long time, from 1992-2006 he was a great hitter, I changed my own mind, I'd let him in
12/7/2016 7:49 PM
I'm curious as to why people say "Ya, Sheffield was a great hitter for a long time, he should be in" - even though he was an awful defender who hurt his team with the glove - and yet Edgar doesn't deserve to be in because he was primarily a DH (despite being a better hitter). He was more of a benefit to his teams than someone like Sheffield who hit well and played crappy defense.
12/8/2016 10:42 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 12/8/2016 10:43:00 AM (view original):
I'm curious as to why people say "Ya, Sheffield was a great hitter for a long time, he should be in" - even though he was an awful defender who hurt his team with the glove - and yet Edgar doesn't deserve to be in because he was primarily a DH (despite being a better hitter). He was more of a benefit to his teams than someone like Sheffield who hit well and played crappy defense.
Edgar was an all-time great hitter and deserves to be in.
12/8/2016 10:53 AM
he walked too much
12/8/2016 12:33 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/8/2016 10:53:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 12/8/2016 10:43:00 AM (view original):
Edgar was an all-time great hitter and deserves to be in.
Yep, pains me to see him not in. Is he off the ballot now?
12/8/2016 4:15 PM
No, he's got 3 more shots.
12/8/2016 4:35 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 12/8/2016 12:33:00 PM (view original):
he walked too much
LOL.

He also had too high of a slugging percentage. I prefer my middle of the order bats to drive runs in via productive outs. Don't be such a ******* glory boy with all your home runs and doubles, ********.
12/8/2016 4:38 PM
he walked too much
Please tell me this is sarcasm?!?
12/8/2016 4:39 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 12/8/2016 4:39:00 PM (view original):
he walked too much
Please tell me this is sarcasm?!?
It's mocking bad_luck who said Edgar walked too much for a middle of the order bat.
12/8/2016 5:28 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...9 Next ▸
HOF ballots early returns Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.