HOF ballots early returns Topic

Edgar Martinez career K rate: 13.9%

Jeter: 14.6%
12/9/2016 3:27 AM
Yeah, I'm not running down this path. BL pulled one post from 250 in that thread. And he didn't even quote the entire post. Context is lost.

But it's cool that he'll go back 3-4 years to find my posts in order to regenerate an argument. Good luck with that.
12/9/2016 6:48 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/8/2016 8:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/8/2016 8:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/8/2016 7:52:00 PM (view original):
I said something to the effect of "I like my best hitters to swing the bat." Basically, I don't like my best hitter passing the baton to Jay Buhner. I won't bother looking it up but a lot of EM's outs were whiffs. I imagine more than a few were looking.
Your exact words:

3. He was a 3-4-5 hitter but, IMO, he walked a great deal. Was he pitched around? Unlikely with A-Rod and Griffey in the line-up. Bad, IMO.

I love that you're still trying to justify saying that walking a lot is a bad thing. Just admit that you were trying to pad your argument and said something stupid that you really didn't mean.
I quoted your exact words. Nothing out of context.

But if you don't think Martinez's walk rate was bad, feel free to say so.
12/9/2016 9:08 AM (edited)
PSBL.

Rehashing the same argument over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

So sad.
12/9/2016 9:09 AM
I didn't bring it up, someone else did. Then mike claimed that he didn't really say it.

But go ahead, come to Mike's defense as always. Did he knock out your teeth? Or do you get to keep them as long as you hold on to his pocket?
12/9/2016 9:15 AM
I don't really have an issue with tec - he seems like a decent guy. Which makes it all the more sad that he can't see he's the Grover to Mike's Scott Farkus.

12/9/2016 10:49 AM
I hadn't visited this thread until now. And now I see its all about (and I'm hardly surprised) Edgar Martinez. Unbelievable.
12/9/2016 11:03 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 12/9/2016 10:49:00 AM (view original):
I don't really have an issue with tec - he seems like a decent guy. Which makes it all the more sad that he can't see he's the Grover to Mike's Scott Farkus.

Not really. I'm just mocking BL because he's so stupid.

BL: "Walks are great! They're not outs!"
Me: "Sometimes, you want your better hitters swinging the bat when you need runs rather than drawing walks and leaving it up to the next, lesser, guy"
BL: "No! Walks are great! They're not outs"
Me: "Do you understand baseball? Have you ever watched a game?"
BL: "I like walks! They're not outs!".
12/9/2016 11:09 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/9/2016 6:48:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, I'm not running down this path. BL pulled one post from 250 in that thread. And he didn't even quote the entire post. Context is lost.

But it's cool that he'll go back 3-4 years to find my posts in order to regenerate an argument. Good luck with that.
This.
12/9/2016 11:14 AM
Posted by sjpoker on 12/9/2016 11:03:00 AM (view original):
I hadn't visited this thread until now. And now I see its all about (and I'm hardly surprised) Edgar Martinez. Unbelievable.
I'm the one who brought up Edgar. It was a simple question as to why people seem to have no issue championing guys who were great with the bad but awful with the glove, and yet they discount DHs.
12/9/2016 11:22 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/9/2016 11:09:00 AM (view original):

Me: "Sometimes, you want your better hitters swinging the bat when you need runs rather than drawing walks and leaving it up to the next, lesser, guy"
In the context of a discussion around Edgar Martinez, saying, "you want your better hitters swinging the bat when you need runs rather than drawing walks and leaving it up to the next, lesser, guy," assumes a false premise. Martinez did swing the bat.
12/9/2016 11:31 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/9/2016 11:14:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/9/2016 6:48:00 AM (view original):

This.
This is as close as mike will ever come to saying, "yeah I was wrong. My bad."
12/9/2016 11:34 AM
So we all agree Jeter was a K-machine compared to Edgar.
I'm sure he must have hit for a better average or for more power then, right?
12/9/2016 11:41 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/9/2016 11:09:00 AM (view original):

Ironic that you call someone stupid and then proceed to make up a conversation in which you're the one that sounds stupid...

"That walk was terrible! I want my hitters to swing at those pitches outside the strike zone!"

'Cause everyone does so much damage when they swing at balls. Let's poll some managers from any level of baseball you like and ask them if they'd like their guys to swing at more balls.
12/9/2016 2:11 PM
Let's ask them if they'd rather have Martinez swinging the bat or Jay Buhner.
12/9/2016 2:20 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
HOF ballots early returns Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.