HOF ballots early returns Topic

Posted by Jtpsops on 12/9/2016 6:46:00 PM (view original):
Fair points, but I'm merely talking about career evaluation. When looking at his career numbers, those points aren't really relevant.

It's no different than BL foolishly talking about what kind of outs are "better" when trying to evaluate a player's season after the fact. Once the season is over, it no longer matters how they were made.
Once the season is over, it no longer matters how they were made.
Correct
12/9/2016 6:50 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/9/2016 6:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/9/2016 6:41:00 PM (view original):
This has nothing to do with Mike. It really doesn't even have anything to do with Edgar Martinez. It has everything to do with PSBL's narrow view that all situations are the same, and that a walk is always better than swinging the bat.

My point is there are going to be times when you want your best hitter being a bit more aggressive in trying to put the ball in play, rather than passively accepting a walk. Dahs seems to think this means flailing at pitches outside the strike zone. He's wrong (big surprise!). It means not necessarily taking pitches in the zone that are not "your pitch", particularly in situations when base hits have noticeably more value than a walk, i.e. there are runners on base.

PSBL stubbornly refuses to admit that such situations exist. He continues to insist that "Hey, if he walks, that's great!!!" Because I don't think he understands that baseball is more than just numbers on a stat sheet or a probability chart. It's played on a field with real people, and games usually have a heartbeat and a pulse beyond what shows up in the box score the next day.
Um...looks like you're the one trying to rehash the same argument over and over and over again.

No one has ever argued that all situations are all the same. That's a strawman that you invented in your own mind when I said that an out is an out.
This is funny. You're the one trying to argue with Mike over Edgar Martinez and walks, yet I'm the one "trying to rehash the same argument over and over and over again".

You can't make this **** up.
12/9/2016 8:34 PM
BL - 1

Mike & Tec tagteam - 0
12/9/2016 9:53 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/9/2016 8:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/9/2016 6:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/9/2016 6:41:00 PM (view original):
This has nothing to do with Mike. It really doesn't even have anything to do with Edgar Martinez. It has everything to do with PSBL's narrow view that all situations are the same, and that a walk is always better than swinging the bat.

My point is there are going to be times when you want your best hitter being a bit more aggressive in trying to put the ball in play, rather than passively accepting a walk. Dahs seems to think this means flailing at pitches outside the strike zone. He's wrong (big surprise!). It means not necessarily taking pitches in the zone that are not "your pitch", particularly in situations when base hits have noticeably more value than a walk, i.e. there are runners on base.

PSBL stubbornly refuses to admit that such situations exist. He continues to insist that "Hey, if he walks, that's great!!!" Because I don't think he understands that baseball is more than just numbers on a stat sheet or a probability chart. It's played on a field with real people, and games usually have a heartbeat and a pulse beyond what shows up in the box score the next day.
Um...looks like you're the one trying to rehash the same argument over and over and over again.

No one has ever argued that all situations are all the same. That's a strawman that you invented in your own mind when I said that an out is an out.
This is funny. You're the one trying to argue with Mike over Edgar Martinez and walks, yet I'm the one "trying to rehash the same argument over and over and over again".

You can't make this **** up.
Hmmm, I bet there's a way to figure this out. Let's look at what happened.

Someone else joked about mike saying Martinez walked to much.
Mike denied saying it.
I provided the quote.
Then you jumped in to argue, but wanted to talk about outs and situations.
When I asked you what that had to do with EM, you said it had nothing to do with EM, it had to do with my view of situations and walks/outs.

So yeah. You're the one trying to rehash an old argument.

12/9/2016 10:07 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/9/2016 3:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/9/2016 2:20:00 PM (view original):
Let's ask them if they'd rather have Martinez swinging the bat or Jay Buhner.
Let's ask them if they'd rather have 2 guys on base instead of 1.
Exactly....this is the stupidest ******* argument ever. A guy walked too much.....morons.
12/9/2016 10:08 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 12/9/2016 3:06:00 PM (view original):
The point is, unless you go back and analyze every AB Edgar took, you can't say which side is right. I'm sure many times, he walked on a pitch that he really didn't have a shot of putting in play, and I have no doubt he took some called third strikes. If you're going to go down that slippery slope with Edgar, than we need to analyze the stats of everyone we vote into the HOF. Frank Thomas walked a lot - I'm sure the team would have been better off if he put some of those close pitches in play.

It's a stupid argument to make when judging someone's career. "Barry Bonds took a shitload of borderline pitches for balls. He hit over 700 homers - dude could've hit over 800 if he'd just swung the bat!"
quit making sense..you're supposed to be dumb as hell.
12/9/2016 10:09 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/9/2016 9:09:00 AM (view original):
PSBL.

Rehashing the same argument over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

So sad.
This.
12/9/2016 10:22 PM
PSBL really wants validation. It's a shame.
12/10/2016 7:42 AM
Bonds and Clemens seem to be gaining steam!!
12/24/2016 12:38 PM
Latest update has over 40% of the ballots revealed. Looks like it could be a large class!

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F2E5D8FC5199DFAF!8063&ithint=file,xlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AAAsz3uDsmqy_Vw
1/7/2017 2:12 AM
Posted by Got_Worms on 1/7/2017 2:12:00 AM (view original):
Latest update has over 40% of the ballots revealed. Looks like it could be a large class!

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=F2E5D8FC5199DFAF!8063&ithint=file,xlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AAAsz3uDsmqy_Vw
Fo real do. Bagwell and Raines for HOF. Don't give a **** bout anyone else til those 2 make it in
1/8/2017 2:32 AM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9
HOF ballots early returns Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.