16-17 Player Watch Topic

Posted by superrobb420 on 3/8/2017 12:06:00 PM (view original):
Side question: Will this year's Westbrook be even close to usable? He is about to break the usage record while having a efg under 47%. Also, his turnovers are off the charts and I expect his defense to be pretty low. Since a lot of his scorign this year is coming at the free throw line, I don't see how such a statistical anomaly of a season can hold up in sim universe.
That season is usable in a low cap league or a progressive league.
3/9/2017 9:37 PM
That Durant injury sucks but for creates an incredible partial-season player:

1980 minutes, 27.8% usg, 59.4% efg, only 10.4% tov, 23.4% drb, 23% ast (probably be 14 or 15), 112 3pm & 372 fta. His blk% is such that he should easily have 70+ defense. That is going to be mad value. If he comes back for the regular season, he'll still end up less than 2400 minutes, so great value. If he doesn't play another minute... that's going to be fantastic.
3/12/2017 10:56 PM
Lowry season is over, could end up being great with the minutes.
3/14/2017 3:12 PM
James Harden's season is stellar minus the turnovers lol.
3/14/2017 3:17 PM
Wow, beachbum plays NBA sim?
3/19/2017 11:26 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Top 2017 to be used in the SIM draft leagues (IMHO)

Giannis Antetokoumpo- Will be a first round pick or at the very least early to mid 2nd in the draft leagues, will be 100% at SF with 54% eFG at a 28.3% Usage. Assists will be in the low 20s or high teens. Dreb is 22.4% strong for SF. Defense I think will be above 90 with the 2.4% STL and 4.7% BLK. Won't be many threes from the SF but the rest is pretty great

James Harden- His move the "point guard" and being in D'Antoni systems has really improved his game. Has a 52.4 eFG and still gets to the line a ton but not has much as last years prior. He assist is going to be in the high 30's maybe even in the 40's. Very strong Dreb for a guard at 20.6%. The one thing to look at his is D, he's been getting the WIS bump the last few season and that is due to the STL%. He's a little lower this season with a 1.9% vs over 2% the years prior. TOV is high at 19.3 but you can work around that. He could be a late first round to a early to mid 2 round pick.

Hassan Whiteside- Now not just a low usage rebounder. Yes he 12.7/35.2 rebounding but also now has a 22.3% usage at a 55% eFG. His D probably won't be 100 but I can't image it won't be 90. But first round may not be in the cards due to less than 2500 minutes. So he's probably a 2nd rounder like he is now but would give the owner options because he will have two great seasons to choose from.

Kawhi Leonard- Another one who has stepped up in his scoring. 54% eFG at a 31.2% Usage, His assists will be up from last season as well. But actually everything else stat wise last season is better. With less than 2500 minutes I think he will still be a second rounder but again the owner will have two great options.

Isaiah Thomas- This season has produced a few good scoring PGs. This Isiah will be entering the draft leagues albeit the lower rounds due to defense and rebounding. 54.7% eFG at a 34% Usage, assists will be in the mid 20s and a very low TOV for a PG at 10.6%. Will be just shy of 2600 minutes.

Nikola Jokic- A possible 5th or 6th round choice in the draft leagues. The only two things which hold him back from being drafted higher is minutes which will be around 2000 and defense will be in Kevin Love territory. He will have an eFG at 60% with 23.4% Usage, rebounding at 11.9/27.1 and assists in the low 20's. Will be a very nice scoring option in the last two rounds

Karl-Anthony Towns- Last year he gets hosed on defense and think his defense will be the same or worse this season (but who knows). Otherwise this will be another great scoring season. 11.4/27.1 rebounding and 11.5% TOV, 57% eFG and a 27.5% usage and will be just shy of 3000 minutes. Could be anywhere between a 1st round pick to end of draft pick depending upon the defense.

Kyle Lowry- Another one of the scoring PGs. He makes the draft leagues from time to time and with this season it will make him more of a regular. But with getting injured he will be just above 2200 minutes will make him a latter round pick, 24.9% Usage with a 56.7% eFG. Defense could be serviceable I would think in the 50s. Assists will likely be in the lowerer 20s so he could be a good SG option. Solid TOV at 13.5%. Can be a mid to late draft pick.

Kemba Walker- Possibly a draft eligible scoring PG. 29.2% usage at a 52.6% eFG. Has serviceable rebounding and extremely low 9.5% TOV. Assist will be in the lower 20s but minutes will be around 2800. Defense will not be very good but he could be drafted from time to time depending upon need

Rudy Gobert- Played a full season so will lift him into the 2nd round in the draft leagues with 2700 minutes . 13.6/29.4 rebounding and a 66% eFG. The usage is low at 15.1% but never hurts to have that in your lineup. His defense should be 90 or higher so would be an improvement from last season

Otto Porter- Not sure if he will make the draft leagues or not but is certainly an interesting player. Two things stand out his eFG at 60% and his insanely low TOV at 5.4%. I think he should be able to play at SG so his 5.1/16.9 rebounding would be good there. His shooting rate for 3 pointers is above 40% but his usage is 15%. I think his defense will be 60 or higher and his minutes will be above 2600. So all in all he could be plugged in if there's a specific fit.

Anthony Davis- To me this season is all dependent on his effectiveness% at the SF. If he could be used there, this would be a good usable season. If not possible could be but less likely. 51.7% eFG at a 32.6% usage. 6.7/27.9 rebounding would be great at SF but not so much at PF. His Blk% will be in the 4s so again lends to a great SF but an OK PF. Minutes will be over 2700 and a very low TOV at 9.1%. If SF a Kevin Garnet type but with less minutes, so most likely will be 2nd round which he is now

4/9/2017 2:01 PM (edited)
updated
4/9/2017 9:52 AM
Nice write-up eleibowitz. Thanks!
4/9/2017 2:16 PM
Westbrook's efg% has risen over a point in the last month....... I still don't think he's very usable, unless in some sort of odd league... But he may finish above 48% efg for the season..
4/10/2017 9:41 AM
This actually one of Lebron's best seasons....
4/10/2017 9:43 AM
Posted by ashamael on 12/12/2016 8:32:00 PM (view original):
16.6% tov% when so much of the team's offense goes through him... No. I mean, the turnovers will be absurd on WIS, but again, look at the bigger picture.

ps - we've never seen this much of an offense go through someone. When he's on the floor, 41.4% of the possessions end with him shooting, turning it over or getting to the line. Of the 58.6% of those possessions that someone else ends it, he is assisting on 57.7% of their made field goals. That doesn't include the "hockey assist" or times he's hit a guy that missed the shot. The only guy really in the history of the game that has come close is also happening this season: James Harden. And then Russ plays both ends...

Sorry. Hard not to admire it.
But in real life and in the sim, he's a horrible shooter comparatively. He's shot very well over the past few weeks, but for the season, he's awful. Noone who shoots that poorly should shoot that much. It's ridiculous, not admirable. Of the 29 players with the most 3 point attempts, he's 28th in percentage. He's 109th in the NBA in FG%. Despite the rhetoric he's got teammates, like Enis Kanter, who can really shoot the ball very well- and deserve more shots than they are getting.... Plus, if you watch the games, a lot of his rebounds are of the stat padding variety. You'll see 3 or 4 of his teammates boxing out and not even attempting to grab the board themselves - they are shielding everyone away and letting Russ go get it. That can be explained as strategy rather than stat padding - bc "you want the ball in your point guard's hands"- but in guess the ppl who say that have never heard of an 'outlet pass'. You can advance the ball much faster with a pass than a dribble.... So, I'd much rather have my PG at the timeline, receiving outlet passes and running the break and getting easy shots for himself and others... That's just me- I know the fast break isn't cool anymore.... The point is- rather it's in the WIS SIM or in real life, your team is at a huge disadvantage when some dude who can't shoot, shoots more shots than anyone in the history of the league. Lol. For every 100 shots he takes he takes, he scores about 93-95 points on those shots (not considering FTS)... If Steph, LeBron, or KD take 100 shots, they are scoring about 118-120 points........ That's real. And I don't see how anyone can look at think and admire it... He's a great player- but he'd be even better if he shot less.
4/10/2017 10:01 AM
Posted by alainacath on 1/29/2017 8:39:00 PM (view original):
Isaiah Thomas has a 54.4 efg% on 19.8 ppg w/ 6.3ast, on top of 33.9% usage, pretty beast.
He's terrible on D in RL... WIS should have him rated around 30.. he's not better than that, imo.
4/10/2017 10:04 AM
Posted by milest on 4/10/2017 9:43:00 AM (view original):
This actually one of Lebron's best seasons....
His highest turnover season
4/10/2017 5:24 PM
Posted by milest on 4/10/2017 10:01:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ashamael on 12/12/2016 8:32:00 PM (view original):
16.6% tov% when so much of the team's offense goes through him... No. I mean, the turnovers will be absurd on WIS, but again, look at the bigger picture.

ps - we've never seen this much of an offense go through someone. When he's on the floor, 41.4% of the possessions end with him shooting, turning it over or getting to the line. Of the 58.6% of those possessions that someone else ends it, he is assisting on 57.7% of their made field goals. That doesn't include the "hockey assist" or times he's hit a guy that missed the shot. The only guy really in the history of the game that has come close is also happening this season: James Harden. And then Russ plays both ends...

Sorry. Hard not to admire it.
But in real life and in the sim, he's a horrible shooter comparatively. He's shot very well over the past few weeks, but for the season, he's awful. Noone who shoots that poorly should shoot that much. It's ridiculous, not admirable. Of the 29 players with the most 3 point attempts, he's 28th in percentage. He's 109th in the NBA in FG%. Despite the rhetoric he's got teammates, like Enis Kanter, who can really shoot the ball very well- and deserve more shots than they are getting.... Plus, if you watch the games, a lot of his rebounds are of the stat padding variety. You'll see 3 or 4 of his teammates boxing out and not even attempting to grab the board themselves - they are shielding everyone away and letting Russ go get it. That can be explained as strategy rather than stat padding - bc "you want the ball in your point guard's hands"- but in guess the ppl who say that have never heard of an 'outlet pass'. You can advance the ball much faster with a pass than a dribble.... So, I'd much rather have my PG at the timeline, receiving outlet passes and running the break and getting easy shots for himself and others... That's just me- I know the fast break isn't cool anymore.... The point is- rather it's in the WIS SIM or in real life, your team is at a huge disadvantage when some dude who can't shoot, shoots more shots than anyone in the history of the league. Lol. For every 100 shots he takes he takes, he scores about 93-95 points on those shots (not considering FTS)... If Steph, LeBron, or KD take 100 shots, they are scoring about 118-120 points........ That's real. And I don't see how anyone can look at think and admire it... He's a great player- but he'd be even better if he shot less.
While I see your point, Iverson did get to back to back Finals shooting way worse and I think even more than Russ. AI is also considered by a lot of players to be an all time great player.

Getting his teammates to take more shots means they probably become less efficient as well.
Russ does lead the league in assist%.

4/10/2017 9:17 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
16-17 Player Watch Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.