Looking for some insight (press/zone defense) Topic

Back into HD after a long layoff. Ended up with a senior heavy team with solid zone defense IQ, so that is the D I ran with this season. I threw practice minutes into press thinking I could use it as my desperation defense.

First round of tourney I run into an athletic team with poor ball handling and pass skills. Decided I had nothing to lose and threw out the halfcourt press/zone D as my gameplan.

Here are the results:
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=13868729&tab=boxscore

Curious if the combo D helped, or if I would have gotten similar results just sitting in my zone. Obviously a small sample size and it could have been just dumb luck, but hoping some more experienced eyes will offer some thoughts.
12/7/2016 2:28 PM
Posted by mumcoach on 12/7/2016 2:28:00 PM (view original):
Back into HD after a long layoff. Ended up with a senior heavy team with solid zone defense IQ, so that is the D I ran with this season. I threw practice minutes into press thinking I could use it as my desperation defense.

First round of tourney I run into an athletic team with poor ball handling and pass skills. Decided I had nothing to lose and threw out the halfcourt press/zone D as my gameplan.

Here are the results:
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=13868729&tab=boxscore

Curious if the combo D helped, or if I would have gotten similar results just sitting in my zone. Obviously a small sample size and it could have been just dumb luck, but hoping some more experienced eyes will offer some thoughts.
I think playing zone was a huge part. #1 it kept him off the free throw line and #2 you need perimeter shooting against a zone, which he did not have. Looking at the boxscore, I'm not sure if the press added that much of an advantage.
12/7/2016 3:09 PM
I know people say the zone/ press isnt as effective as we would like to think, but I started running it with my GW team and I think it makes it difficult to gameplan against. I also feel like I am more competitive playing it. Even if the press results in a few extra steals a game I consider it a success.
12/7/2016 4:50 PM

Just my opinion, but why waste the practice time to get good at two different defenses? I'd rather use those practice minutes on improving my players.
12/7/2016 4:52 PM (edited)
Posted by skinndogg on 12/7/2016 4:52:00 PM (view original):

Just my opinion, but why waste the practice time to get good at two different defenses? I'd rather use those practice minutes on improving my players.
So I practice the zone all season until the final 5-10 games and then I switch to practicing the press to finish out the season. You do not need a high press IQ to make it effective when combined with the zone...If you have A or B zone IQ's mixed with a C press IQ it can be effective.
12/7/2016 4:52 PM
Just a note, if a team has very good ball handling/ passing skills then it may be a better option to just stick to the zone, but just having that flexibility is nice in my lowly opinion.

If you look at your opponents BH/Passing ratings they are kinda not the greatest, so I think combining the press and the zone helped...
12/7/2016 4:59 PM (edited)
I tend to value offensive IQ more so than defensive IQ. I would advise against running multiple offenses, but I'm ok with running multiple defenses, just no more than 2.

The thing about the zone/press teams is you run the risk of getting burned from 3pt territory, especially against a good perimeter shooting team. In that situation, I would probably just fullcourt press then.

I haven't been a fan of the zone, but with the new recruiting in 3.0, that may just change.
12/7/2016 5:04 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 12/7/2016 5:05:00 PM (view original):
I tend to value offensive IQ more so than defensive IQ. I would advise against running multiple offenses, but I'm ok with running multiple defenses, just no more than 2.

The thing about the zone/press teams is you run the risk of getting burned from 3pt territory, especially against a good perimeter shooting team. In that situation, I would probably just fullcourt press then.

I haven't been a fan of the zone, but with the new recruiting in 3.0, that may just change.
Agreed on multiple offenses, not sure what the advantage would be on that.

I agree on the 3pt shooting, although I have run the press/ 3-2 zone combo with some success against teams that shoot well from 3pt land.

I agree on 3.0, it was very difficult to win running the zone in 2.0 because all of the top tier schools were so stacked they would crush you because they had studs both inside and outside. But now that its more difficult to land superclasses I think it can be more effective now to run a zone....again, I am not a stud HD player by any means so maybe I am completely wrong.
12/7/2016 5:09 PM
Thanks for the responses and discussion everyone. The skill set of my players forces me into a zone (I think), but I'm considering working with press/zone a little bit more next season.
12/7/2016 5:16 PM
Posted by mumcoach on 12/7/2016 5:16:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for the responses and discussion everyone. The skill set of my players forces me into a zone (I think), but I'm considering working with press/zone a little bit more next season.
For me it just helps make this game more fun...to have the option of running 3 different defenses (zone, zone/press, press) makes it more flexible and exciting to me.
12/7/2016 5:17 PM
Posted by crabman26 on 12/7/2016 5:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mumcoach on 12/7/2016 5:16:00 PM (view original):
For me it just helps make this game more fun...to have the option of running 3 different defenses (zone, zone/press, press) makes it more flexible and exciting to me.
Agreed. Especially with the 3-2 and 2-3 variation. It may or may not actually be a benefit to the results, but I like the idea that I can make adjustments based on my opponent. I'm hoping that as I add players with some athleticism and defensive ability, the press will become a more effective half of the combo D.
12/7/2016 5:24 PM
I think mixed Defenses should be more effective than they are. Or maybe there are and it's just a lot of people don't try it. I think it makes it more realistic to change up styles in a game.

But it seems like a zone/press could help balance off some of the weaknesses of each defense so it makes sense it'd be useful. I do think a drawback could be that if you're running a combo Def then it could mean recruiting more balanced players instead of a player suited for a particular defense. For example, I'm less likely to go all out on speed and give up some Def if I'm running press/man vs just press. Could make things a little more tricky when constructing a roster. Or perhaps not, just a thought.
12/7/2016 9:17 PM (edited)
When I ran a zone press I noticed I got about 2 more steals a game than straight zone. My starters averaged about 3 minutes less. I couldn't figure out if my ofg% changed.

this is from memory...my numbers could be a little off.
12/7/2016 6:47 PM
FWIW, over the last 3 seasons I have taken the Press/Zone combo to 3 elite eights, two final fours, and a championship game in DI. I am a fan.
12/7/2016 9:01 PM
12/7/2016 9:09 PM
123 Next ▸
Looking for some insight (press/zone defense) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.