Won as High vs Very High Topic

Feel lucky and a bit guilty - but thats how it works now. I went all in against a school with higher prestige but figured I would take the say 1/3 chance of winning.

personally, I am fine with the probabalistic elements of 3.0 battle resolution. Other things that bother me about the changes, but with retraining I can cope with probability rather than pure auction as the game.
12/8/2016 8:58 AM
You are at A-. I don't really mind you winning a H to VH. What I dislike is a five stars project who wants a rebuild, doesn't want to play near home and you get Elon against Duke, H versus VH, Elon C, Duke A-... And the dude gets to Elon.

They could work on some préférences to make them more logical. All players should have wants to play... I mean, think about it... You are going to college but you do not want to play...
12/8/2016 9:29 AM
i hope and assume that all players are affected by promises etc

I have always thought of wants to play as kids who have higher than standard concern about that factor

And yes, wants rebuild is weird. Some other preferences are odd.

Where are amuzing preferences - wants cold climate, wants warm climate, wants party school.....wants skiiing......wants strong academics.....wants engineering school.......wants phoney classes and weak academics.....
12/8/2016 9:36 AM
All kids are definitely influenced by the promise of a start, and it's a pretty big factor.
12/8/2016 10:24 AM
Posted by mamxet on 12/8/2016 9:36:00 AM (view original):

I have always thought of wants to play as kids who have higher than standard concern about that factor

Where are amuzing preferences - wants cold climate, wants warm climate, wants party school.....wants skiiing......wants strong academics.....wants engineering school.......wants phoney classes and weak academics.....
I'd be interested to see if all of the factors are random, or if there are more "wants success" players than "wants rebuild" players. All of the "wants rebuild" guys I saw in my 2 sessions of recruiting were usually paired with "wants to play", which I think makes sense - that kid wants to go and be a star someplace, and that's the type of player that rebuilding teams use to climb out of the hole.
12/8/2016 11:10 AM
Posted by mbriese on 12/8/2016 11:10:00 AM (view original):

I'd be interested to see if all of the factors are random, or if there are more "wants success" players than "wants rebuild" players. All of the "wants rebuild" guys I saw in my 2 sessions of recruiting were usually paired with "wants to play", which I think makes sense - that kid wants to go and be a star someplace, and that's the type of player that rebuilding teams use to climb out of the hole.
I could understand a 100-200 player wanting to go to a rebuilding program... But top 100? Check what happens in reality, Gonzaga, Wichita State, other mid get some of them, but it's mostly big six teams.
12/8/2016 11:28 AM
Posted by zorzii on 12/8/2016 11:28:00 AM (view original):

I could understand a 100-200 player wanting to go to a rebuilding program... But top 100? Check what happens in reality, Gonzaga, Wichita State, other mid get some of them, but it's mostly big six teams.
I get that, but that's boring for a SIM game. There has to be a few more outliers to make the game playable for people not in the big six.
12/8/2016 11:53 AM
They posted in the critical updates awhile back

"We've worked to make the recruit preferences smarter and make more sense. Some of the changes focused on the top recruits while others affected them all. For example, most top recruits will now want success. Most of those wanting success will also want a strong conference while those favoring a rebuild will have no preference. Most top recruits will not care about distance now. Most recruits wanting a rebuild are going to also want to play. There aren't any absolutes as we still want the occasional recruit having some odd preferences."

Also, I'm not sure where it went but I've posted some stats on preferences previously. Here's what I could come up with for Team Success-

No preference- 40%
Wants Rebuild - 18%
Wants Success - 41%

Total sample size of 181 recruits.

Early in Beta we pointed out some things like how more kids cared about what Offense/Defense they played in than if they were going to get PT or if the team was good or not so Seble did tweak it a bit. So no, not totally random. Could still use some work though.
12/8/2016 1:40 PM
The "wants rebuild" preference is still stupid. I guess there are a few real world kids who actively want to play for any ol' bad team that will have them, regardless of PT or distance or anything else, but that number is disappearingly small.

I know, not everything needs to be "realistic", but this one is uniquely silly.
12/8/2016 3:42 PM
remove "rebuild" preference and replace with party school preference
12/8/2016 3:45 PM
according to the recruiting guide..
  • Wants rebuild (credit is adjusted down if school has been successful in the past 4 seasons and up if not)..the idea that all top 100 recruits want to play "big time" is an insane thought to me..just not true..there are athletes with big egos that would rather be a star on a mediocre team than play to win it all..no?
12/8/2016 4:15 PM
Posted by mbriese on 12/8/2016 11:53:00 AM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 12/8/2016 11:28:00 AM (view original):

I get that, but that's boring for a SIM game. There has to be a few more outliers to make the game playable for people not in the big six.
It's exactly what the programmers wanted OUT of the game and what many of the long-time users fail to understand(or just plain dislike).
12/8/2016 4:58 PM
The changes / unrealistic new recruiting factors in 3.0 that make the game slightly more balanced is what made me interested in trying HD again in the first place.
12/8/2016 5:45 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 12/8/2016 3:42:00 PM (view original):
The "wants rebuild" preference is still stupid. I guess there are a few real world kids who actively want to play for any ol' bad team that will have them, regardless of PT or distance or anything else, but that number is disappearingly small.

I know, not everything needs to be "realistic", but this one is uniquely silly.
I pitched seble on changing "wants rebuild" (translation: wants a bad team) to "wants rebuild" (translation: wants a new coach), which would make a lot more sense. A lot of people IRL love jumping onboard with the exciting new hire, even if the team is terrible and the coach isn't actually good (source: I'm a Tennessee football fan and remember 2014 pretty well). He didn't bite.
12/8/2016 10:27 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 12/8/2016 10:24:00 AM (view original):
All kids are definitely influenced by the promise of a start, and it's a pretty big factor.
I think a start is the most powerful recruiting tool.
12/9/2016 7:56 AM
12 Next ▸
Won as High vs Very High Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.